Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Tyson Jost to Minnesota for Nico "Don't call me Strum" Sturm

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Wild fan coming in peace...

Just wondering what the prevailing opinion among Avs fans is on the deal now that Sturm has a few games under his belt? Do you think that COL will look to re-sign him?
He’s been pretty good. Very solid defensively and has looked a bit better since he got bumped from 3C to 4C. I would imagine him re signing would be dependent on what role he wants here. If he wants the 4C role it’s his if he’s gunning for the 3C role and pay he’s probably gone.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Just wondering what the prevailing opinion among Avs fans is on the deal now that Sturm has a few games under his belt? Do you think that COL will look to re-sign him?

Even though he only has 3 assists in 21 games, I haven't seen a lot of fans complaining about Sturm. He's been good all around and great in the face-off circle.

I think the Avs will re-sign him. Even though the offense hasn't come yet, Sturm is getting almost 13 minutes in ice time per night (compared to 11:33 with the Wild), so I think Colorado is a good landing spot from his perspective too. I imagine the ask will be similar to what Toronto gave David Kampf ($1.5M x 2), and I think that's reasonable for Sturm.

Reactions: Heyduke

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Sturm brings size and fits the Avs' bottom 6 identity, defensively sound but not really anything special. Jost brought a bit more offense and found himself with a million scoring chances, but couldn't finish and wasn't a great fit for the Avs' system or bottom 6. I'd bring him back if it was under $1.5 mil, but if he wants anything more i'd look elsewhere.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Sturm can walk if he wants too much $$$$ I say give Maltsev a chance to be 4C next season.
Its hard to see where he would have a basis for much more than a basic 4L $1M type contract and that would be a raise for him... I think you bring him back at that price. You need a few of those contracts if you intend on adding something for 2C.

Right now, 4L next year you have Meyers and LOC. I like the idea of Sturm and NAK coming back combined at perhaps 2.5M or less.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's been solid, but I feel like its pretty evident he'll never be more then a 4C, he doesn't have the offensive ability to be a 3rd liner.

So if he's got his mind set on being a 3C, I'd let him walk this summer to chase that money/opportunity somewhere else.

He's definitely infinitely better then Jost was for us, but I always felt like the real value we got out of that trade was not having that $2M commitment to Jost on the books for next year. I think given our cap situation we cant afford to be paying 4th liners $2M going forward. Plus look at what Helm, Cogliano, and LOC have been able to do for us in the first two games of these playoffs, all making $1M or less. That's the kind of cheap depth we need to continue targeting going forward if we want to have any sort of chance of continuing to be a contender in the coming years when our core gets more and more expensive.

And if you look at it, Tampa Bay is doing the same thing. With Perry, PEB, and Maroon all making exactly $1M for the 4th line. Usually these veteran guys aren't in it for the money anymore, they want deep playoff runs and cup chances.

Reactions: Richard88

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

He's been fantastic for what he's been brought in to do. Good skater, good on the forecheck and can win key draws which is something Jost could never do. He also made the play that won the game in OT last night by outmuscling his defender and creating a juicy rebound for Cale to score on. I certainly hope he sticks around.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sure but context here. One is a 4th goal against a ECHL goalie in a blowout game and the other is a goal in OT you would think Cale would be going nuts but he just kinda acted like hes been doing this forever.

I really think Cale was thinking about doing something like that drop to one knee celly, but Sturm charged him so fast he just hugged him instead. :laugh:

He turned to his left after he scored and switched his stick from his right hand to his left, like he was about to do one of these below. He just didn't have time. Kinda like when Landy tackled Nate that one time after an OT goal before he could celly.

colorado-avalanche-avalanche.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I really think Cale was thinking about doing something like that drop to one knee celly, but Sturm charged him so fast he just hugged him instead. :laugh:

He turned to his left after he scored and switched his stick from his right hand to his left, like he was about to do one of these below. He just didn't have time. Kinda like when Landy tackled Nate that one time after an OT goal before he could celly.

haha yah could be but its Cale. Hes ice cold. Never gets to high never gets to low. The Nik Lidstrom way

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad