Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Logan O'Connor to 2 year ELC

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I hope this is more about Avs finding a player they like instead of throwing him a bone due to his father's (and Mike Chambers) connections.

Not sure he's anything more than AHL depth personally, another type of Travis Barron/Saigeon type of player, but I argue is less talented - always enjoyed how hard of a worker he is though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure he's anything more than AHL depth personally, another type of Travis Barron/Saigeon type of player, but I argue is less talented - always enjoyed how hard of a worker he is though.

I'm not sure he is really less talented, but yeah... not a ton of upside here. Not a real fan of using ELCs on pure AHL depth/ECHL callups with very little upside. Makes me wonder if Saigeon is going to return to the OHL though.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I won't look a gifted horse in the mouth, so I like the deal in principal, but like others have said, low upside signing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I liked him at dev camp, but agree that an ELC is a touch unnecessary. I guess they really want to shore up the forward depth on the Eagles and that was the only way they could get him to sign. Injuries to the forwards down there has hurt their AHL affiliate a lot the last couple seasons.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Actually that's a good point @McMetal, can NCAA players under four years be signed to AHL/ECHL contracts? I see that Avs gave both Logan O'Connor and Dickinson ELC's...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
NCAA players can turn pro at any point and sign with any league they want... it just stops their NCAA eligibility immediately. Most players just don't want to leave for an AHL/ECHL deal. IMO O'Connor didn't really need an ELC and should have had another year at DU (wonder if the coaching situation changed things). Dickinson would have been a top college free agent next year, so while early, I think that was an acceptable risk to take.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
NCAA players can turn pro at any point and sign with any league they want... it just stops their NCAA eligibility immediately. Most players just don't want to leave for an AHL/ECHL deal. IMO O'Connor didn't really need an ELC and should have had another year at DU (wonder if the coaching situation changed things). Dickinson would have been a top college free agent next year, so while early, I think that was an acceptable risk to take.
That was pretty much my thought. In order to get somebody to sign out of college you need to give them a compelling reason to give up their NCAA eligibility, and that means that a purely AHL contract is unlikely to get a deal done. If Sakic wanted him, it was either an ELC this year or one next summer when he'll have to contend with other teams in the bidding war.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Geez AJ, settle down. They'll be at 47 contracts when they sign Nemeth. They can still sign four more guys and we already know that at least two players on the current roster (Wilson, Varlamov) will not be around after 2019. I'm also calling it now, this will be Carl Soderberg's last season in an Avalanche uniform, I think he'll be moved sooner rather than later.

Do we really think they'll fail to sign key prospects because of a contract like this? I'm honestly asking because I just don't see it. Obviously they'll want to sign Makar, maybe Bowers, perhaps a guy like Cam Morrison too. There should be plenty of cap room as well as contract space to sign all of them in 2019 shouldn't there...?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This probably isn't the best use of an ELC but I also don't know anything about him. I can't really get worked up over something so minor.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
AJ is on the typical give the prospects roles instead of earning them rant. Organizations firmly don't believe in that... and the fans almost never take into account players that organizations have written off. Quite frankly, Nantel's last shot will be at AHL camp. If he doesn't impress, he probably gets some minor injury call-ups and doesn't get a QO. A player like O'Connor is destined to replace Nantel-like player. I'm certainly not in favor of signing low-upside players, but 'the plan' isn't about making fans of prospects happy. To me, the Avs are taking a wide birth approach to developing some bottom 6 players. Find some attributes that work, sign lots of those players, and see if you can get one or two to pan out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly, I don't get the fuss. You don't develop prospects by giving them no competition. That's how you evaluate them relative to their peers, and that's how you push them to get better.

If guys like Shvyryov, Nantel, or Beaudin can't beat out O'Connor for ice time, then they aren't progressing properly. Not to mention that if the Avs view these guys more as wingers, they need centers for the Eagles.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
AJ's not happy

While I see his point, there is plenty of room to let guys like Geertsen, Cannata, Graves, Martin, Nantel, and Warsofsky go next season via not qualifying them or UFA, and replacing them in the minors with AHL contracts to make room for newcomers with more potential. Next season I expect them to probably sign Morrison, Bowers, Makar, and Henry, with maybe Werner coming over as well. 47 may seem like a lot of contracts when you have a team with this many unsigned prospects, but they have some flexibility with a number of their NHL contracts for the next couple years.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I have no problem with this. Anyone who has watched any DU hockey over the past few seasons can attest that this guy is one of the hardest working guys out there. For sure a lead by example type. His NHL upside is very questionable, but even if he never gets past the AHL level I'm fine with it. Hopefully his hard working attitude rubs off on others on the Eagles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad