Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jason Polin (WMU - NCAA)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Random question: Why do they almost always pick numbers 60 and above once they come to the Avs/Eagles? Malinski and Polin wore #s 24 and 14 in college.

I think a lot of teams give their rookies/prospects high numbers just so there's no conflict if/when the get called up. Otherwise they have to wear different numbers in the minors as opposed to the majors. In one case, Matt Nieto was given 83 in SJ and as we well know why, he never gave it up.

I'm still curious as to why the Avs and Girard decided to go with 49 instead of 94. I suppose there were/are a lot of 90s numbers on the team already, but I still find it curious.

We usually see guys switch to a lower number (O'Reilly being an exception) once they get established in the NHL. Curious to see who gets 37 next in Colorado--some very notable players have worn that one.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think a lot of teams give their rookies/prospects high numbers just so there's no conflict if/when the get called up. Otherwise they have to wear different numbers in the minors as opposed to the majors. In one case, Matt Nieto was given 83 in SJ and as we well know why, he never gave it up.

I'm still curious as to why the Avs and Girard decided to go with 49 instead of 94. I suppose there were/are a lot of 90s numbers on the team already, but I still find it curious.

We usually see guys switch to a lower number (O'Reilly being an exception) once they get established in the NHL. Curious to see who gets 37 next in Colorado--some very notable players have worn that one.

They don't choose in the AHL? I was under the impression that they do. Because it also seems like they have a lot of guys wearing numbers in th 80s and 90s. Or maybe it's a restriction in college like with college basketball (where the numbers don't go over 5 due to the ref signaling with his hand).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They don't choose in the AHL? I was under the impression that they do. Because it also seems like they have a lot of guys wearing numbers in th 80s and 90s. Or maybe it's a restriction in college like with college basketball (where the numbers don't go over 5 due to the ref signaling with his hand).

Every organization is different, I'm not sure how each one operates when it comes to numbers. Because of merchandising and what not I imagine a lot of teams are not huge fans of players switching their numbers and try to keep it to a bare minimum. I remember thinking MacKinnon for sure would go with 22 once it was freed up but he never did. Same with Sammy and 94.

Anyway, the only guy I can think of who has had to change his number between Loveland/Denver is Brad Hunt. He wears 7 for the Eagles, and 17 for the Avs. Olausson had to go from 25 to 27 but meh...that hardly counted.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bumped. Any hope for this guy contributing this year... ?
Depends what you mean... he'll probably get some games and play on the 3rd and 4th lines when injuries hit. He's a good skater that works hard... doesn't think the game at a high level, doesn't have plus hands or shot. The upside is a worse skating LOC. Maybe that is a NHLer at a low end 3rd line or 4th line level... but he isn't a difference maker at a NHL level. A replacement level guy there at best most likely.

He has some value if he clicks in the AHL. He's a great kid who is incredibly coachable. The type of guy who has enough in his game to be a 3rd line, maybe productive 2nd line AHLer who you want in an organization. Think a Cal Burke with a bit more goal scoring upside.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Imagine forgetting the inevitable 293rd Greatest Avalanche Player of All Time:

1693420175905.png

O'Reilly wanted #9 but Duchene had it, that's why he ended up with #90.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad