Pre-Game Talk: Avs @ Sens | Thursday | On this episode of How It's Made: Pilon Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32824/avs-not-making-excuses-for-slow-start
"When you start out with two shutouts against, you start to press a little bit," said Iginla, Duchene’s linemate. "But we’re getting better. Just throw out the first game, that was horrible. We’ve been getting better since.

"It’s a dynamic group, we’ll find ways to score goals," added Iginla. "Guys, you can just see, are starting to feel better. We need to build that confidence back up."

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
I think we come out and win this game, playing the best we have all season. This isn't the 12-1 start we had last year. Things are taking a little while to round into form, but that's normal when you have some new faces. It's definitely normal to panic, but 4 games in is a drop in the bucket.

If we won in OT last night we'd have been 2-2. If someone asked you pre-season if you're happy with 2-2 with your first 4 being MIN/MIN/BOS/TOR, 3 of them on the road.. you'd be happy. It's unfortunate to not get that 2nd point, but I'm confident they rebound and get the win Thursday.

Let's turn it on!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Brent Wallace ‏@tsn_wally 2 t2 tuntia sitten
Sens lines:
MacArthur Turris Stone
Ryan Zibanejad Chiasson
Greening Legwand Neil
Michalek Smith Lazar

Brent Wallace ‏@tsn_wally 2 t2 tuntia sitten
Sens D-pairs:
Phillips Karlsson
Weircioch Ceci
Boroweicki Gryba

Extras: Cowen, Hoffman, Condra

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With Tanguay looking so bad and MacKinnon so frustrated, it's hard finding three lines that work. Often the third line looks weak. You can't really have MacKinnon with Briere and Tanguay. He's going to lose his mind playing with guys that can't keep up.

My tombola spat out the following likes that look reasonable. Duchene is probably most immune to Tanguay's suck since Duchene can create offense on his own.

Landeskog O'Reilly MacKinnon
Tanguay Duchene Iginla
McGinn Briere Everberg
whatever

Stuart EJ
Holden Barrie
Hejda Redmond

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I just don't see Roy changing up the top lines. O'Reilly's line was good last game, and Duchene's line has scored in two straight games. MacKinnon will just have to deal, for now, or hope that Tanguay wakes up. I don't think Briere has been that bad.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Tanguay should sit for Hishon in a perfect world. But we don't know the Mitchell/Winchester time lines yet to see if that's practical. And we know Roy still loves Tanguay since he's had him PKing and manning the point on the PP.

I'm still at a loss why McGinn isn't on the PP* like last year. He did well in the slot on the PP. And Holden meanwhile I haven't noticed doing his usual backdoor pinches.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Tanguay should sit for Hishon in a perfect world. But we don't know the Mitchell/Winchester time lines yet to see if that's practical. And we know Roy still loves Tanguay since he's had him PKing and manning the point on the PP.

I'm still at a loss why McGinn isn't on the PK like last year. He did well in the slot on the PP. And Holden meanwhile I haven't noticed doing his usual backdoor pinches.

A lot of Roy's choices on the PK even dating back to last season have me scratching my head.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm still at a loss why McGinn isn't on the PK like last year. He did well in the slot on the PP. And Holden meanwhile I haven't noticed doing his usual backdoor pinches.

It took injuries to get McGinn in the top six last season. Took another injury or maybe just some poor play from others to get him on the PP. I don't get it all. He can be inconsistent and Roy probably doesn't like it when he doesn't drive to the net but he's a much better option than Tanguay and Briere.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Something that annoying Avs fans will overlook is the fact that they've taken 3 of 4 possible points on the road trip so far. 1-2-1 is not where I or anyone else expect them or want them to be, but it's 4 games into the season. Not 60. There is plenty of time to get things going and they've been looking better and better. They still struggle a lot in the D zone, but the offense is starting to click. Something I'm not really a fan of is MacKinnon with Tanguay and Briere. I want this:

McGinn - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - O'Reilly - MacKinnon
Tanguay - Briere - Everberg

I know I've been saying I don't want McGinn up there, but that line has looked good the last couple games. Plus, almost everyone is in their natural positions. I don't know how other people feel about this, but the more I watch MacKinnon, the more I think he's better suited as a wing in the NHL. Fire away.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know what the alternative would be if MacKinnon moves up but Briere is not a center anymore. If he's the only other option at center on the third line, then I guess MacKinnon will just have to suffer until Mitchell gets back.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know I've been saying I don't want McGinn up there, but that line has looked good the last couple games.

McGinn is very overlooked on this team and I'd rather have him on the top 6 than Tangs.

Tangs shows what's happening to a player his age that missed a whole year. I doubt he'll ever come back as good as he was before the injury. Not because of the injury itself, but because he's simply too old to jump back in the action after such a long time off.

Mack needs to play on the top 6 as well. At this point I wonder if Roy wants to punish him for his lack of defensive awareness.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Something that annoying Avs fans will overlook is the fact that they've taken 3 of 4 possible points on the road trip so far. 1-2-1 is not where I or anyone else expect them or want them to be, but it's 4 games into the season. Not 60. There is plenty of time to get things going and they've been looking better and better. They still struggle a lot in the D zone, but the offense is starting to click. Something I'm not really a fan of is MacKinnon with Tanguay and Briere. I want this:

I know I've been saying I don't want McGinn up there, but that line has looked good the last couple games. Plus, almost everyone is in their natural positions. I don't know how other people feel about this, but the more I watch MacKinnon, the more I think he's better suited as a wing in the NHL. Fire away.

To be honest. I would move Iginla down with Tanguay and Briere and leave Everlast up with Duchene and Mcginn

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
McGinn is very overlooked on this team and I'd rather have him on the top 6 than Tangs.
This I agree with. McGinn is tremendously versatile player. He can play on any line on the team in many roles and contribute. I for one would keep him with Duchene and Iginla for a bit. Reward the guys who are playing well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I would have expected to see MacKinnon play wing on occasion during games before now. At least when we need offensive production.

Ideally you'd have something like,

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Tanguay

McGinn - Mitchell - Everberg <-- The best 3rd line I could come up with

McLeod - Talbot/Briere - Talbot/Briere

when Mitchell returns.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Everberg.

"Everbeast" is his new nickname.

I still want Dennis the Menace.

The UK version looks just like him.
Dennis_the_Menace.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
O'Reilly - MacKinnon - Landeskog
McGinn - Briere - Everbeast
Cody - Talbot - Cliche

Would be cool. I think we need to try to ride out MacK's struggles at centering full time early in the season, so let's give him all of the help we can. Dutchy can still create with the oldies and if Tanguay doesn't get going we know McG and Dutchy work together. With Everbeast and McG on his wings hopefully briere can hold the fort until Malkin is back, and since I expect tangers or briere to be hurt before Winchester gets back Everbeast should get a good long run in the lineup. So realistically our bottom 6 after Malkin comes back would look like:

Everbeast - Malkin - Briere/Tanguay
Cody - Winchester/Briere(til winch is back) - Talbot

With cliche stepping in for a couple games depending on the gap between Tanguay/briere breaking and winch coming back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad