Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Byram to 2-year × $3.85M Deal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
All I’m gonna say is thank god some of you are not the GM of the Avs. I’ve heard so many proposals that will make the Avs much worse like trading Byram, getting Barrie etc… Yeah, Avs would be so good with Girard and Barrie in the playoffs along with Manson and JJ. Good luck with that d core is all I would say.

You don’t trade Byram because of 10 game struggle. Give him a chance for a full season, let him regain his confidence because he’s a very good player

Last edited:

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
It is times such as these that I miss @Richard88 with his Cap Friendly skills. No trade nor player exists in a vacuum. HF tends to oversimplify situations and nowhere is that more obvious than in discussions of Byram / Toews.

Money - At $3.75M per year, Byram is not a bad deal. That said, if he starts playing to his draft day potential he is going to want to get paid, and some team is bound to offer him $7 if he pans out during this 2-year contract.

Position - I am reasonably sure that Bo sees himself as a top pair, if not a 1D. He was never going to get 1D with the Avs, and the second the ink dried on Toews' extension, Bo's chances for top pair all but evaporated. Similarly, he was never going to get PP1, and the Avs second unit rarely gets more than 30 seconds of action. Bo could / should find a home where he runs PP1, is top pair and.......

Bednar's system - While Bednar's architecture allows either defenseman to activate, each pair really needs a puck-moving defenseman and a guy more comfortable staying at home. Pairing Byram with Makar gives you two guys, on the same line, who want to fly through traffic. That is not ideal.

Other contracts - Mikko and Georgie need new contracts for the same season Byram does. Landy might ( I personally think not) come back during Byram's contract, eating a ton of cap space. The cap is increasing, but not by some astronomical amount. If Byram fulfills his potential, he will be looking to double ( another $3.75M) his current AAV.

If Byram gets his act together, and is comparable to a $7.5 AAV player, where does the money come from? Someone is going to have to get traded. Is it Byram? Toews? Mikko? Nuke? Getting a quality 2C might require two of those players to be shipped out. (OK, OK, or Girard!) Regardless, the checkbook cannot withstand

Makar - $9M
Toews - $7.25M
Byram - $7.25M
Girard - $5M
Manson $4.25M
Malinski / JMFJ - $1M

That is $33M+ for 6 defensemen, which is unsustainable with the current cap. So whether we at HF like it or not, if we want a 2C of any caliber, one or two of the players mentioned above have to go. Considering the 4 areas discussed, it makes the most sense to trade Byram+ for a 2C with some term and cost control. FTR, I do not have a specific target in mind whom Cmac could pick up easily. The Avs might have to be the anchor for a blockbuster and move Ryjo, Byram, Girard, Lehky and maybe even Nuke. Manson has a NMC so he is staying. Landy will retire as an Av, so he is off the trade bait list. Yes, that qualifies as a retool, but SakMac bought themselves these problems by overpaying a number of players, including Landy.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
If Byram gets his act together, and is comparable to a $7.5 AAV player, where does the money come from?
Byram is nowhere near being worth a 7.5 AAV contract. Not even close. At this point, that is a massive assumption.

He's only 22 years old, and because of his concussions has only played a total of 113 games over four NHL seasons.

I still think he will develop into an excellent defender, the one we saw flashes of during the cup run. But he's going to need some time, and he's never going to be #1 as long as he is behind Cale.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was in the minority shortly after Byram's draft in saying that I think he tops out as a 30-35 point defenseman. A lot of his offensive output that wowed people in juniors was based on him being a rover who was wildly more talented than his peers, and I had significant doubts about whether that would translate to the NHL's more rigid structure and higher talent floor. He's got talent in that area, but not enough to do what Makar does and just impose his will on the game the way he did in the CHL.

Fortunately, I did see a really solid foundation on the defensive side of the puck. He was good on the walls, solid gap control and stick work, and had good anticipation. And while he is struggling with the NHL's speed and systematic defense right now, I still think he will figure it out. He's having a real rough spell at the moment, but I think it's a bit of a confidence issue and he'll work through it. He's already adjusted his game a lot from juniors to focus on the other side of the puck more. Bednar is clearly not cutting his ice time much and giving him the rope to get out of his funk.

Reactions: cinchronicity

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just curious...how many points do you expect from a 2nd pairing dman with no PP time?
Not to mention that none of our dmen outher than Cale and Devon get to play with Nate, Nuke, and Mikko at even strength meaning much less chance of having a goal scorer on the ice so their potential assists are way down.

Reactions: Balthazar

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Avs fans discussing Bo at the main boards vs discussing Bo at HFAvs
3hpm69.png

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Can we use Byram and something minor to get Lundell, and forsling as a rental?

If, and I mean a strong IF, we are thinking of trading Byram it better be for more than a center who looks to have a 40 point max career.

Dmen who can play 20+ minutes a night are much harder to find than top 6 centers.

It is times such as these that I miss @Richard88 with his Cap Friendly skills. No trade nor player exists in a vacuum. HF tends to oversimplify situations and nowhere is that more obvious than in discussions of Byram / Toews.

Money - At $3.75M per year, Byram is not a bad deal. That said, if he starts playing to his draft day potential he is going to want to get paid, and some team is bound to offer him $7 if he pans out during this 2-year contract.

Position - I am reasonably sure that Bo sees himself as a top pair, if not a 1D. He was never going to get 1D with the Avs, and the second the ink dried on Toews' extension, Bo's chances for top pair all but evaporated. Similarly, he was never going to get PP1, and the Avs second unit rarely gets more than 30 seconds of action. Bo could / should find a home where he runs PP1, is top pair and.......

Bednar's system - While Bednar's architecture allows either defenseman to activate, each pair really needs a puck-moving defenseman and a guy more comfortable staying at home. Pairing Byram with Makar gives you two guys, on the same line, who want to fly through traffic. That is not ideal.

Other contracts - Mikko and Georgie need new contracts for the same season Byram does. Landy might ( I personally think not) come back during Byram's contract, eating a ton of cap space. The cap is increasing, but not by some astronomical amount. If Byram fulfills his potential, he will be looking to double ( another $3.75M) his current AAV.

If Byram gets his act together, and is comparable to a $7.5 AAV player, where does the money come from? Someone is going to have to get traded. Is it Byram? Toews? Mikko? Nuke? Getting a quality 2C might require two of those players to be shipped out. (OK, OK, or Girard!) Regardless, the checkbook cannot withstand

Makar - $9M
Toews - $7.25M
Byram - $7.25M
Girard - $5M
Manson $4.25M
Malinski / JMFJ - $1M

That is $33M+ for 6 defensemen, which is unsustainable with the current cap. So whether we at HF like it or not, if we want a 2C of any caliber, one or two of the players mentioned above have to go. Considering the 4 areas discussed, it makes the most sense to trade Byram+ for a 2C with some term and cost control. FTR, I do not have a specific target in mind whom Cmac could pick up easily. The Avs might have to be the anchor for a blockbuster and move Ryjo, Byram, Girard, Lehky and maybe even Nuke. Manson has a NMC so he is staying. Landy will retire as an Av, so he is off the trade bait list. Yes, that qualifies as a retool, but SakMac bought themselves these problems by overpaying a number of players, including Landy.

Byram isn't going anywhere. If anyone goes it will be Girard of he ever comes back or even Manson.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad