Proposal: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Drouin looked like an NHL player in the CHL tonight when he had the puck. Just dancing around people. Haven't seen a whole lot of him since he entered the NHL (watched him quite a bit in Halifax), but he looked really good tonight. I won't say he's as fast as MacKinnon, but he's certainly close. Very explosive player.

I think whoever trades for this kid will be getting a stud.

Drouin just needs to sit down and watch a whole days worth of video on Patty Kane.

He reminds me so much of Kane, but Drouin needs to keep moving like Kane does. Drouin's ability to make plays at speed is just as good.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I can see some point in Chet's ramblings.

With the tight playoff race, now is the time to make your move as opposed to the deadline where the opposition will have a two months to build a lead. Particularly with the opportunities presented by Drouin and Rychel'd trade demands.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Drouin looked like an NHL player in the CHL tonight when he had the puck. Just dancing around people.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we have to do whatever we need to do to get him: perfect age, playing wing (where we have no depth) and that likelyhood of having an extremely good chemistry with Mack...

Drouin wasn't even bad when he played in Tampa. He played very limited minutes and still got his share of points. Now that's a guy that would make us forget about O'Reilly. Can we get him now, please?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I said it before, but Drouin and Nate having chemistry in the Q means almost nothing, put two guys of their talent level on a line together and they'll tear any junior league apart.

And no they should't do anything it takes to get him, get him if it makes sense both short and long term.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I said it before, but Drouin and Nate having chemistry in the Q means almost nothing, put two guys of their talent level on a line together and they'll tear any junior league apart.

And no they should't do anything it takes to get him, get him if it makes sense both short and long term.

Not sure what to tell you if you don't think chemistry is a real thing. The two played together for 2 full seasons, and if you watch the highlights, they always seem to know where the other will be. The more you play with someone, the more you pick up on their habits, tendencies, and trust they'll be where you need them to be.

MacKinnon could've played with someone else and put up great numbers too, but you can't deny the fact that those two played well together. Chemistry is huge in hockey.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not sure what to tell you if you don't think chemistry is a real thing. The two played together for 2 full seasons, and if you watch the highlights, they always seem to know where the other will be. The more you play with someone, the more you pick up on their habits, tendencies, and trust they'll be where you need them to be.

MacKinnon could've played with someone else and put up great numbers too, but you can't deny the fact that those two played well together. Chemistry is huge in hockey.

It's painfully obvious what I was saying, them having chemistry in junior has little if any value, NHL is whole another ballgame. Players games evolve and change when they go from junior to pro, some things that you can get by in junior don't work in the NHL, there's no guarantee they would have the same connection as of right now. It's really not a hard concept to grasp.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It's painfully obvious what I was saying, them having chemistry in junior has little if any value, NHL is whole another ballgame. Players games evolve and change when they go from junior to pro, some things that you can get by in junior don't work in the NHL, there's no guarantee they would have the same connection as of right now. It's really not a hard concept to grasp.

It's not a concept; it's your opinion. Big difference. If you don't think there's any value to them playing two years together, then that's fine. Moving along.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Yeah and so did Kane and Gagner and Gagner blows now. It could be great, but things in junior don't necessarily translate into the NHL. Reason: A lot of players in the CHL are really quite bad.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah and so did Kane and Gagner and Gagner blows now. It could be great, but things in junior don't necessarily translate into the NHL. Reason: A lot of players in the CHL are really quite bad.

Well that doesn't necessarily speak to the chemistry of the two at all does it? Sam Gagner never played with Kane in the NHL, so we're basically just saying Gagne isn't a great hockey player, which I agree with.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Well that doesn't necessarily speak to the chemistry of the two at all does it? Sam Gagner never played with Kane in the NHL, so we're basically just saying Gagne isn't a great hockey player, which I agree with.

Yeah that's right, but still junior ≠ NHL. What if his game doesn't translate to the NHL completely? I'm not saying that will happen but it could... And then you might be better off not playing him with Mack. So it comes down to the scouts'/GM's view on Drouin and his value and junior chemistry shouldn't change that. Like if a team thought he might only become a 2nd line player considering some of his limitations. That said our scouts supposedly liked him. Oh well, I'm rambling anyways...

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah that's right, but still junior ≠ NHL. What if his game doesn't translate to the NHL completely? I'm not saying that will happen but it could... And then you might be better off not playing him with Mack. So it comes down to the scouts'/GM's view on Drouin and his value and junior chemistry shouldn't change that. Like if a team thought he might only become a 2nd line player considering some of his limitations. That said our scouts supposedly liked him. Oh well, I'm rambling anyways...

Yeah I know what you mean. At this point in Drouin's career, you're buying into his talent, and that he COULD become a dominant player. I'm not saying he's anything close to a sure bet, I just think there's some added intrigue due to the fact that him and MacKinnon used to play together.

What I'm trying to say is that, you're getting Drouin for his talent, not because I think he's a plug-and-play on MacKinnon's wing. I just think the history of the two adds some value to him coming here.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah I know what you mean. At this point in Drouin's career, you're buying into his talent, and that he COULD become a dominant player. I'm not saying he's anything close to a sure bet, I just think there's some added intrigue due to the fact that him and MacKinnon used to play together.

What I'm trying to say is that, you're getting Drouin for his talent, not because I think he's a plug-and-play on MacKinnon's wing. I just think the history of the two adds some value to him coming here.

Yeah, Mack-Drouin sure does sound sexy. That said, I wouldn't give up an arm and a leg for him. Our prospect pool doesn't really allow that, I don't think. It's going to be interesting to see what he goes for (assuming he does at this point), for sure.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah, Mack-Drouin sure does sound sexy. That said, I wouldn't give up an arm and a leg for him. Our prospect pool doesn't really allow that, I don't think. It's going to be interesting to see what he goes for (assuming he does at this point), for sure.

Exactly. As much as I like him as a player, I wouldn't be giving up the farm for him. Zadorov, Bigras, and Rantanen are my untouchables, so that doesn't leave much. If they feel, without a doubt, that Drouin will be the dynamic player he's projected to be, then MAYBE you give Rantanen straight up, but even then I wouldn't be confident giving him up. Rantanen provides so much value as a two-way forward. Can't see Drouin ever being that.

Bleackley, Gormley and a 1st (top-5 protected) would be my offer. Can't see them taking that.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
In the summer if the ROR Trade was for Drouin would people have been disappointed? Zad for Drouin now basically makes it ROR for Drouin.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Drouin very likely will be a better player than any of Rantanen, Zadorov, or Bigras but I'm not at all sold that Drouin would be better for the Avs than those 3 if that makes any sense.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Drouin very likely will be a better player than any of Rantanen, Zadorov, or Bigras but I'm not at all sold that Drouin would be better for the Avs than those 3 if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense. Hard to believe the Avs are finally only 1 or 2 years away from having prospects (not lottery prospects) come in and make a huge impact.

I hope a Drouin trade goes down this weekend, regardless of whether its the Avs or not.

On another note, Barrie stepping up recently has shown that if the Avs can get a 2nd top-4 defenceman for the left side, they may be able to roll with two pairings that play 22-26 minutes a night, and control the game. Similar to Chicago. Holden would be nice to have on the third pairing as well. The good thing about Beauchemin is he pairs well with either EJ or Barrie, and EJ pairs well with most defencemen too. Makes it easier finding another guy to bring in because he doesn't have to be strictly for Barrie.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Exactly. As much as I like him as a player, I wouldn't be giving up the farm for him. Zadorov, Bigras, and Rantanen are my untouchables, so that doesn't leave much. If they feel, without a doubt, that Drouin will be the dynamic player he's projected to be, then MAYBE you give Rantanen straight up, but even then I wouldn't be confident giving him up. Rantanen provides so much value as a two-way forward. Can't see Drouin ever being that.

Drouin's ceiling is much, much higher than Rantanen's.

Bleackley, Gormley and a 1st (top-5 protected) would be my offer. Can't see them taking that.

The same Bleackley that we don't even sign and the same Gormley that just cleared waivers? With a protected 1st rounder? lol

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Makes perfect sense. Hard to believe the Avs are finally only 1 or 2 years away from having prospects (not lottery prospects) come in and make a huge impact.

I hope a Drouin trade goes down this weekend, regardless of whether its the Avs or not.

On another note, Barrie stepping up recently has shown that if the Avs can get a 2nd top-4 defenceman for the left side, they may be able to roll with two pairings that play 22-26 minutes a night, and control the game. Similar to Chicago. Holden would be nice to have on the third pairing as well. The good thing about Beauchemin is he pairs well with either EJ or Barrie, and EJ pairs well with most defencemen too. Makes it easier finding another guy to bring in because he doesn't have to be strictly for Barrie.

IMO Holden is playing as well as a Top 4 guy right now. He can move the puck on his own, and doesn't HAVE to rely on Barrie, but I think they are both helping each other. I like the pair as a 2nd unit.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In the summer if the ROR Trade was for Drouin would people have been disappointed?

It would have been quite a gamble but no, I wouldn't have been disappointed considering that Zadorov is also a gamble.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
IMO Holden is playing as well as a Top 4 guy right now. He can move the puck on his own, and doesn't HAVE to rely on Barrie, but I think they are both helping each other. I like the pair as a 2nd unit.

No doubt, and he had a good series against the Wild the other year in the playoffs, so it's not like there is question marks about him sustaining this level in the playoffs or something. For his cap hit though, the Avs could have the luxury of him carrying the 3rd pairing, which could really use some help.

Something like:

Beauchemin-EJ
Hamhuis-Barrie
Holden-Bodnarchuck

just looks a lot more steady than with Guenin/Redmond in the lineup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't, but there aren't better options available at present. I will admit that Holden has at least made up for last year's trainwreck though.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Drouin's ceiling is much, much higher than Rantanen's.

The same Bleackley that we don't even sign and the same Gormley that just cleared waivers? With a protected 1st rounder? lol

Offensively? Sure, but ceiling doesn't mean a whole lot if they don't reach it. Rantanen is an AHL all-star in his rookie season, I figure that's a pretty decent player right there.

And that's correct, which is why I ended that sentence with "can't see them taking it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad