Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know he wants Western Canada but honestly, if you're Garth Snow does Barrie for Hamonic not make perfect sense? I can't see the Isles moving him for a forward. Edmonton doesn't have an equal value defensemen to move. Winnipeg isn't likely to move Myers, nor is Calgary with Hamilton or Brodie. Vancouver could attempt Tanev+, which may happen but if Snow is being enough of a good guy to honor Hamonic's request, you gotta believe Hamonic understands Snow NEEDS top value back. Not saying Sakic will do it or Barrie is even available, but if it's yes for both, I can't see how anything beats Barrie

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Avs should be all in on this.

We should not want a player who clearly wants to be elsewhere for family reasons. Not only do I doubt Snow would trade Hamonic somewhere else other than he requested, considering the seeming nature of this request, nor do I think Roy / Sakic would even want to. They seem to be about the players - I doubt they would bring in a player who wants to be in Canada near his family. Just doesn't strike me as a very...classy move.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think the two defensemen that makes the most sense from the Islanders point of view are Myers and Tanev.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say the Islander's biggest need is an elite offensive defensemen. Honestly, they get that piece and they might make a deep, deep run in the playoffs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In trading Hamonic the Isles will be able to resign 1 of Buff/Okposo. Buff would replace Hamonic for this year and Pulock is waiting in the wings to take that spot next year. Petan is in the NHL and Morrissey is close to being ready. By trading Reinhart the Isles weakened their D prospect pool as well. There are plenty of realistic packages that would get Snow to say yes.
Yikes.

Why would Islanders trade Hamonic knowing they can re-sign only one of Byfuglien or Okposo?! That's like a doom trade from the beginning. I do think Morrissey is going to be great, but hard to argue that prospects =/= NHL players. You mentioned Avs with the O'Reilly trade correct? Well both Grigorenko and Zadorov were NHL players when they were traded. Have both been handled poorly by the Sabres? Absolutely, but we can say that both plus Rantanen could all be in the NHL right now if Avs really wanted to.

Plus Islanders are further along the rebuild than Jets or Avs are. Why would they want futures coming back is beyond sense to me? Especially when they already have a good enough prospect system to begin with. Hell, they just traded Reinhart because they had no room for him. Jets do have a lot of quality pieces they could use as trade chips (or keep to develop), but in the end your trade just comes across as quantity versus quality.

I could see the Oilers trading Eberle for Hamonic.
I really hope you're not seriously here. Hamonic is closer in value to RNH or Draisaitl than Eberle is to Hamonic. If Eberle is traded, I would expect it to be for a defender like Gardiner. Someone who's NHL quality, and put up some points, but has some major holes in his game.

I absolutely love Hamonic (one of my favourite players in the league), but you don't trade Barrie for him except if Barrie goes full brainwash from Newport. Offensive defenders just have more overall value than amazing defensive-defenseman. Subban, Karlsson would all go for more than someone like Suter, even if Ryan is the better overall defender. Only exception is when Myers was traded for Bogosian, but even then Myers probably had as little value as possible.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If Hamonic was comfortable with Denver as a destination, I'd move Barrie for him in a minute. I think he would complement those young D we have coming up (hopefully by next seaason) quite well and that is a nice contract to boot.

I just don't have a plan to make up for the offense Barrie would take with him. Probably why I'll never be a GM

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I think Zadorov/Hamonic would be a more complete pairing than Zadorov/Barrie. Hamonic would be great to groom some of our prospects and his cap hit is a steal and would free up some money that we can spend elsewhere. Barrie is better offensively, but Hamonic is a complete top-pairing defenseman.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yikes.

Why would Islanders trade Hamonic knowing they can re-sign only one of Byfuglien or Okposo?! That's like a doom trade from the beginning. I do think Morrissey is going to be great, but hard to argue that prospects =/= NHL players. You mentioned Avs with the O'Reilly trade correct? Well both Grigorenko and Zadorov were NHL players when they were traded. Have both been handled poorly by the Sabres? Absolutely, but we can say that both plus Rantanen could all be in the NHL right now if Avs really wanted to.

Plus Islanders are further along the rebuild than Jets or Avs are. Why would they want futures coming back is beyond sense to me? Especially when they already have a good enough prospect system to begin with. Hell, they just traded Reinhart because they had no room for him. Jets do have a lot of quality pieces they could use as trade chips (or keep to develop), but in the end your trade just comes across as quantity versus quality.

I really hope you're not seriously here. Hamonic is closer in value to RNH or Draisaitl than Eberle is to Hamonic. If Eberle is traded, I would expect it to be for a defender like Gardiner. Someone who's NHL quality, and put up some points, but has some major holes in his game.

I absolutely love Hamonic (one of my favourite players in the league), but you don't trade Barrie for him except if Barrie goes full brainwash from Newport. Offensive defenders just have more overall value than amazing defensive-defenseman. Subban, Karlsson would all go for more than someone like Suter, even if Ryan is the better overall defender. Only exception is when Myers was traded for Bogosian, but even then Myers probably had as little value as possible.

Value doesn't win games. Which one would make us a better team?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know people say we'll miss the offence from Barrie if dealt, and not that this deal is likely to happen anyways because Hamonic clearly wants Western Canada, but if it did, it's not like Hamonic is a black hole offensively. He did put up 33 points last season. It'd definitely be a drop off from Barrie but Hamonic can skate well and can move the puck well, he just doesn't have the offensive instincts Barrie has.

I don't believe we'd be hurt on the power play because Barrie doesn't have much of a bomb from the point, and we already have an insanely tough time on the power play both with breakouts and setting up with Barrie already manning the point. Where we'd miss him is 5v5 where he's that extra dimension to keep teams honest whenever he's on the ice. But it'd be worth it for Hamonic.

stonehands31

Aug 14, 2011
Barrie can be a game breaker when he is on, if he will sign for south of 6 I think it would be a mistake to move him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Barrie can be a game breaker when he is on, if he will sign for south of 6 I think it would be a mistake to move him.

Points pay in the NHL these days, and Newport understands that better than anyone. I hope he signs for under 6 million but if he breaks 55 points this season I can see Newport wanting over 6.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Colorado what would it take to get Barrie back to B.C.?

The Colorado prospect cupboard is pretty low in stock would a 1st + 2nd + 2nd + Subban + Cassels be enough? It's north of what Hamilton got. Maybe add in Hamhuis so we aren't over the cap?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The Colorado prospect cupboard is pretty low in stock would a 1st + 2nd + 2nd + Subban + Cassels be enough? It's north of what Hamilton got. Maybe add in Hamhuis so we aren't over the cap?

We can't afford to move a Barrie without getting an equivalent back, much like the Islanders and Hamonic.

stonehands31

Aug 14, 2011

If Colorado trades Barrie, it will not be for picks. Trading Barrie would leave a giant hole on the second pairing right hand side. Without a second separate trade to address that hole created, any move involving Tyson would need to fill that second pairing role and include a winger.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
We can't afford to move a Barrie without getting an equivalent back, much like the Islanders and Hamonic.

Trading Tanev wouldn't make much sense because we won't really get any stronger on the right side.

Hamhuis is UFA and 32 years old.

Trading Hutton would hurt the Canucks future and only create another hole.

Edler would be the best option for the canucks to give the Avalanche from a canucks perspective.

What do we add?

If Colorado trades Barrie, it will not be for picks. Trading Barrie would leave a giant hole on the second pairing right hand side. Without a second separate trade to address that hole created, any move involving Tyson would need to fill that second pairing role and include a winger.

We have plenty of Winger prospects.

Grenier, Boeser, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Gaunce.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Trading Tanev wouldn't make much sense because we won't really get any stronger on the right side.

Hamhuis is UFA and 32 years old.

Trading Hutton would hurt the Canucks future and only create another hole.

Edler would be the best option for the canucks to give the Avalanche from a canucks perspective.

What do we add?

We have plenty of Winger prospects.

Grenier, Boeser, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Gaunce.

You aren't gonna get Barrie to Vancouver without parting with Tanev, pretty simple

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
We should not want a player who clearly wants to be elsewhere for family reasons. Not only do I doubt Snow would trade Hamonic somewhere else other than he requested, considering the seeming nature of this request, nor do I think Roy / Sakic would even want to. They seem to be about the players - I doubt they would bring in a player who wants to be in Canada near his family. Just doesn't strike me as a very...classy move.

I dunno, sure they are about the players but what is the difference if he's traded to Vancouver where it would actually take him longer to get home to Winnipeg than it would if he was with the Avs? (according to this website : http://www.prokerala.com/travel/flight-time/from-YEG/to-YWG/)

If he's traded to Edmonton, there's only about a 20 minute difference.

To me, it's not just about this season but the 4 other years remaining on his contract. Returnofthemack29 makes an excellent point. It would be much easier to bring Zadorov along next to Hamonic than it is next to Barrie.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I would strongly consider Barrie and Bleackley for Tanev and Boeser. Barrie > Tanev but Boeser > Bleackley. Not sure if Vancouver does it though but if they see what they're getting in Barrie it's worth it. This is all for $ sake for COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad