JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Eichel negociating an 8 years deal.

Ekblad: 8 years
McDavid: 8 years
Eichel: 8 years
Matthews: 8 years for sure
Mack: 7 years

I still don't understand that. We're always a bit different aren't we.

Need to plan ahead for the next 2 year drama.

Stastny (wasn't 2 years but still some drama) -> ROR (a lot longer than 2 years it feels like...) -> Duchene -> Barrie -> X (Zads?) -> Mac

I mean lets face it. Avs won't ever win anything or be a good team before they clean house from top to bottom and start doing things the "normal" way not the "dynasty Avs special super way"...

And it will probably take a few years (if it ever happens at all) before it happens..

So we need some kind of drama to keep us masochists "happy" and interested I guess...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Okay, those are not MacK's comparables. And two of those don't even have those contracts.

They'll sign 8 years, guaranteed.

Mack is a 1st OA pick and our franchise player. I'm not saying he deserves as much money as the others, but why skimping on the term? To save a couple hundred K's on the AAV?
I bet he asked 6.5 X 8 and we offered 6.3 X 7 instead. That's ridiculous. It's only a year, but that extra year either he'll play elsewhere or will earn more than 6.5M.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
MacK's comparables are Barkov and Monahan who signed almost the same contracts at almost the same time. What these other players get is in no way relevant there. Why is it not 8 years? Because it's 6.3 million and not 8.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They'll sign 8 years, guaranteed.

Mack is a 1st OA pick and our franchise player. I'm not saying he deserves as much money as the others, but why skimping on the term? To save a couple hundred K's on the AAV?
I bet he asked 6.5 X 8 and we offered 6.3 X 7. That's ridiculous. It's only a year, but that extra year either he'll play elsewhere or will earn more than 6.5M.

:laugh: I love how people just make stuff up on here because it feels like it could be true, then get mad about it. There are plenty of real things to be unhappy about without inventing new reasons to be angry.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can we put to rest any idea that he still wants to be here?

Once again: He still hasn't put in a trade request.

So some clarification is in order. Do I think he wants to stay in Colorado? Yes. Do I think he's absolutely DONE with the uncertainty regarding his future? Yes. He may also be sick of the losing, as anyone would, but I don't think he's done with the Avs so much as he's just sick of wondering where he's gonna be playing hockey tomorrow.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think it would've come out by now if so.

-Played like crap leading up to the deadline, gave multiple interviews that said boiled down to "I'm open to being traded"

-Body language and play after the Deadline would definitely signal he was not happy to stay

-Agent is "upset" or "disappointed" that Joe hasn't made a deal

-Latest quote from him through Dan Rosen.

Yeah, he TOTALLY wants to be here :laugh:

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Where is this new whiffing on potential FO people coming from? I haven't seen anything other than the Dubas stuff a few months back. If anyone has a link that would be great.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think it would've come out by now if so.

Not sure. When those things come out, it hurts the players' reputation (even though in this case other GM's would probably understand). Also, there's simply no real thristy AVS covering journalist with enough will power to dig it up.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Duchene obviously wants to be elsewhere but the realization that Avs might not be competent enough to trade him is dawning on him.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Where is this new whiffing on potential FO people coming from? I haven't seen anything other than the Dubas stuff a few months back. If anyone has a link that would be great.

It's all speculation. I just thought it was odd that nothing else came out of the supposed need for reinforcement in the front office.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
-Played like crap leading up to the deadline, gave multiple interviews that said boiled down to "I'm open to being traded"

-Body language and play after the Deadline would definitely signal he was not happy to stay

Once again, I never said he wanted to stay. I just said his motivation for leaving centers more around security and certainty as to where he's going to live and play hockey moreso than just wanting out. I believe the Avs could make amends but it would require them to eat some serious crow privately and publicly, and that's likely not happening. Humble a guy as Sakic appears to be, he and the organization are way too arrogant to do something like that.

But regardless, the Avs continue to screw this situation up royally, moreso with each passing day.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Once again, I never said he wanted to stay. I just said his motivation for leaving centers more around security and certainty as to where he's going to live and play hockey moreso than just wanting out. I believe the Avs could make amends but it would require them to eat some serious crow privately and publicly, and that's likely not happening. Humble a guy as Sakic appears to be, he and the organization are way too arrogant to do something like that.

How?? "We're sorry we unsuccessfully tried to trade you for the past 8 months. Please stay with us and start scoring goals"?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Duchene has always struck me as a professional. It would seem to me that he would want to play well and hard for his own self-interests, namely a UFA contract in two years.

It may not be as clear cut as it seems, he may have emotionally cut ties to the Avs, but I believe that his new wife and her family have lived in the Denver area for some time.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Unreal. How many organizations go through the kind of season the Avs had (with a nearly capped-out roster might I add) and only manage to fire a couple assistant coaches?

The best part about that is...they were never fired. Their contracts just ran out and weren't renewed. We still don't know if they were offered new contracts but left Tourigny/Roy style or not either.

The only member of staff fired in Sakic's tenure was Pracey, and that was probably pushed really hard by Roy from all accounts.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think it's just about his name being in trade rumours either. Duchene clearly wants to win right now and has no time for another rebuild. Meanwhile, all the Avs have done this offseason is make sure they're in the best position possible for Dahlin next year. Avs would really be playing with fire if they believe everything will be fine.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
*publicly

image.jpg

Duchene's wishes are not exactly a secret to the hockey world. Hell, the argument that Brisson and Sakic had on the draft floor got the sewing circle in a real frenzy. :nod:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
image.jpg

Duchene's wishes are not exactly a secret to the hockey world. Hell, the argument that Brisson and Sakic had on the draft floor got the sewing circle in a real frenzy. :nod:

And at some point, Brisson's prior relationship w/ Sakic will no longer provide the cover for this (if Joe continues to bumble around trading him), and a request will be made public. The goodwill will only go so far, before Brisson has to put the wishes of his client above that of Joe Sakic.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sakic is a very smart GM, he's following the foot steps of another organization the Islanders who just want to keep the uncertainty of where the organization is headed, instead of doing the right things

Isles screwing up the Tavares situation just like Sakic is screwing up the Duchene situation, and i'm pretty sure both those players are confused and uncertain what their future is or the team's future.

This is really isn't that hard though, i mean all you need is a GM with some sort of business IQ and you can actually get things done.

Just look around the league Sakic, GM's who know what they are doing and wanted to trade top players, done so without any issues.

Hall for Larsson
Johansen for Jones
Drouin for Sergachev
Subban for Weber

Seriously, if Avs had a GM with any brain, Duchene's situation would long be settled, whether he was traded or resigned.

Maybe Snow and Sakic are actually related, couldn't be more similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad