Confirmed with Link: Avs move on from director of amateur scouting Alan Hepple

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Weird. I thought we'd done pretty well the last several years, though I guess we are still having issues finding guys outside of the first round.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Woah

That's a big change. Have to wait and see who the new replacement is but Hepple really wasn't much more successful then Pracey. Neither of them could hit on anything outside of the first round, though Hepples more recent drafts started to look more promising at least.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe the scouting staff can start to improve outside of the 1st round now. Won't put all of that on Hepple but this team seemingly cannot draft outside of the 1st round unless it's the year 2009.

Reactions: Barklez

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would be surprised if they dont simply promote the next guy from within the organization. That would be the typical Avs thing to do here but lets see.

Either way I dont think this is going to be a bad thing. We still just dont have any results from beyond the first round.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yeah I honestly thought our drafting was getting better, but then again none of our draft picks outside the first round are in the current lineup.

Sure Timmins is a 2nd rounder, but we’re talking literally the first pick of the 2nd round that year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Woah

That's a big change. Have to wait and see who the new replacement is but Hepple really wasn't much more successful then Pracey. Neither of them could hit on anything outside of the first round, though Hepples more recent drafts started to look more promising at least.

Hitting home runs with your high picks is important. Maybe just as important as finding late round gems once in a while. This guy was in charge for MacK and Rants? MacK looks like a sure thing in hindsight but back then Jones was ranked very highly as well.

So far Sakic has steered the Avs in a good direction so its hard not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Tell me about Klippenstein?

He just became alive quite recently.

upload_2021-5-27_13-48-33.gif

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
At least HE got some exceptional results with the his first rounders, and then some good prospects, Rantanen, Jost, Makar, Byram, Newhook, Barron, Helleson, Timmins, …

Reactions: DallasGaume

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The change under Hepple to me seemed more philosophical than it was an actual improvement in talent evaluation. They just quit being so ridiculously limited in their choices, ditching the Europhobia that started under Lacroix and they veered away from the continual string of low-ceiling CHL grinding forwards. But they still made some rather curious choices, and then there was that weird incident in the third round in 2019, which I don't think endeared Hepple to Sakic any. Also I wonder if Hepple was at all resistant to the incorporation of analytics--that's totally my speculation though, I've no info to base that on.

Anyway, even if the replacement is in-house I would think the new person will be better. Time will tell I guess. I'm glad they're at least making this change when drafting in the lower rounds will matter a hell of a lot more now, as opposed to waiting until he has a Pracey 2014 disaster.

Reactions: AFK and Mac2Rants

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It'd be nice if they brought in somebody from outside the org to replace him, even if it's just to replace Klippenstein in the ranks of the assistants scouts. I think that room needs some fresh blood even if I like the last three drafts overall.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I know he's well respected around the league, but I was never overly impressed with Hepple's opinions/perspective when listening to him discuss our picks/prospects.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad