GDT: Avs @ Kraken - 8PM MT - "Return to the Shattered Realms"

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
if RyJo doesn’t pan out as a 2C by the trade deadline, im sure CMac will do something.

1697665931308.png

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If RyJo doesn't work this is where I would finally pull the trigger on a big trade to solve the situation definitively and for longer term.

Just not really sure who or what that trade would look like.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The evaluation of Byram is way off again IMO. He starts every new season and new tournament like this. He plays an overly safe game, because he doesn't want to make any mistakes, and this causes him to have slow starts.

He's even talked about the defensive side of things being the last that comes back to his game after a layoff.

Even though his detractors think he should play an overly safe game, this is NOT how he plays his best. He plays his best when he plays on his toes and looks to push the play offensively.

This gets him into the game mentally both offensively and defensively, causes him to keep his feet moving, and lets him just play off instinct, rather than getting caught flat footed, and overthinking his reads.

He can play better, but for some reason people always nitpick everything he does at a level they don't for other players, exaggerating his mistakes, and missing all his good plays. If you hadn't watched him and just read the commentary you'd think he was an AHLer.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Based on three games? Sounds like the same stuff they are saying about Timo Meier on the Devils board.

Can't help thinking there's more there.
there will be a concern if this starts costing us games. Need more than three games. All in all the kraken are a team that we’re built to contain teams like the avs. I think credit needs to be given how displaced they play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I sure thought he did, but others were saying he was yelling at the refs for not calling interference on Seattle just a few seconds earlier.

Wasn't the interference. Borgen (#3) held Nate's stick coming out of the corner right before the goal. He was looking at both the ref and Borgen not Grubauer.

He had just gotten called for that BS interference penalty in the previous period, and was probably sick of the opposition getting a bunch of weak calls, while obvious ones against the Avs go uncalled.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Everyone take a deep breath and remind yourselves that the Avs are 3-0 and they’ll be just fine. The way I see it, the most difficult challenge for this team is gonna be Vegas, but we don’t have to worry about that match up until sometime in the playoffs, if they even match up against each other. The new guys gonna build that chemistry and we gonna roll. Just need to stay healthy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs have almost $85M committed towards the cap next year with a 14 man roster. Aside from Tatar's $1.5M, all the other UFA's all make under $1M.

How do they afford Lundell's RFA raise and fill out the roster next summer? He's probably going to get at least the $4M Colton got on a short to medium length deal. More on a long term.

Who do they replace Byram's role on the D with? How much do they have to spend on that? The people that want to trade Byram seem to dislike Manson and JJ the most. So the D core outside the top pair with Cale and Toews, would be Manson, Girard who's not particularly strong defensively, maybe JJ, and a new addition they can't spend a lot of money on. Then the next season they'll probably have to replace Manson with a cheaper D man without making the D core even worse.

We'd have taken the strongest and deepest part of the team, the defense, the one that's younger and can keep their contention window open longer, and made it a top heavy group of question marks.

If you want to trade Byram for Lundell that's not all you have to do. You have to bring in another defenseman who's not gonna be cheap to replace Bo, figure out how to replace Manson without getting worse, and possibly make the team worse by trading another forward to afford Lundell and still fill out the roster.

Or they could just keep the cheapest defenseman they have outside JJ, their 22 year old #4 pick who's only played 94 regular season games, and improve the team without moving their best young player outside Makar.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs have almost $85M committed towards the cap next year with a 14 man roster. Aside from Tatar's $1.5M, all the other UFA's all make under $1M.

How do they afford Lundell's RFA raise and fill out the roster next summer? He's probably going to get at least the $4M Colton got on a short to medium length deal. More on a long term.

Who do they replace Byram's role on the D with? How much do they have to spend on that? The people that want to trade Byram seem to dislike Manson and JJ the most. So the D core outside the top pair with Cale and Toews, would be Manson, Girard who's not particularly strong defensively, maybe JJ, and a new addition they can't spend a lot of money on. Then the next season they'll probably have to replace Manson with a cheaper D man without making the D core even worse.

We'd have taken the strongest and deepest part of the team, the defense, the one that's younger and can keep their contention window open longer, and made it a top heavy group of question marks.

If you want to trade Byram for Lundell that's not all you have to do. You have to bring in another defenseman who's not gonna be cheap to replace Bo, figure out how to replace Manson without getting worse, and possibly make the team worse by trading another forward to afford Lundell and still fill out the roster.

Or they could just keep the cheapest defenseman they have outside JJ, their 22 year old #4 pick who's only played 94 regular season games, and improve the team without moving their best young player outside Makar.
If I’m trading Byram, I rather add and get someone better than Lundell. Someone like Lindholm maybe. Lundell hasn’t really done enough for me to give up Byram

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If I’m trading Byram, I rather add and get someone better than Lundell. Someone like Lindholm maybe. Lundell hasn’t really done enough for me to give up Byram
Certainly not trading Byram for a 29 yo making UFA money.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If we're trading Byram, I'd still want to call Arizona first and see what it would take to get them to talk Barrett Hayton.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Certainly not trading Byram for a 29 yo making UFA money.
I didn’t necessarily said Lindholm, I said someone like him meaning more productive. Lundell hasn’t really done enough. He has pretty much produced as much as JTC has although Lundell is younger and only played in NHL 3 years. Trading Byram should get you someone more proven

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
It was a mirage that for almost 40 minutes the avalanche gave up the puck on half their zone entries, constantly passed into skates or 5ft from the player and couldn't control pucks to clear or defend?

I saw what I saw. Maybe some of it is illusion/bias, but definitely not all of it.
Not to mention them skating around like their heads were cut off. I was certain half the team was going to end up on IR just from skating into each other multiple times. Luckily they put it together for the 3rd but yeah the first 40 was roughhhh and not just because Seattle was forcing that level of play.

Reactions: wayninja

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It takes zero emotion to be aware that the Avs are about to waste another year of their short window going into the postseason without a second line center.
This is actually a very emotional post lol. To claim with certainty that our current try at 2c is a failure only three games in and the entire year is a waste due to that, while not allowing them time to gel after a big changeover at forward screams irrational, emotional overreaction lol.

If we get into December and the issue persists, I could understand the panic. If the issue is still their past deadline I could understand the outrage. I can even understand criticisms of their three game sample size with this club, although I don’t believe them as yet, but I just can’t wrap my head around the claim that any of our new guys will be this team’s downfall three games in.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
The evaluation of Byram is way off again IMO. He starts every new season and new tournament like this. He plays an overly safe game, because he doesn't want to make any mistakes, and this causes him to have slow starts.

He's even talked about the defensive side of things being the last that comes back to his game after a layoff.

Even though his detractors think he should play an overly safe game, this is NOT how he plays his best. He plays his best when he plays on his toes and looks to push the play offensively.

This gets him into the game mentally both offensively and defensively, causes him to keep his feet moving, and lets him just play off instinct, rather than getting caught flat footed, and overthinking his reads.

He can play better, but for some reason people always nitpick everything he does at a level they don't for other players, exaggerating his mistakes, and missing all his good plays. If you hadn't watched him and just read the commentary you'd think he was an AHLer.
👌

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad