Confirmed with Link: Avs Hire Oil Kings' Jamie Porter to Join Amateur Scouting Staff

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Again, it's ONE team. Your expectations seem a tad outta whack. I'm sure some prominent junior teams like the London Knights or some Q teams have produced some future stars at a semi-regular clip but that can't be the case with every single one. There's tons of them, and landing a big star takes as much dumb luck and, well, good connections as anything else. The fact that they took some unheralded players and developed them into worthwhile NHL players is notable in and of itself. Do they need to spit out a Connor McDavid or two?

This is like saying "Yeah, DU has won a few national titles, but man, they've only produced guys like Matt Carle and Tyler Bozak."
My statement is not that OTT. The list is not impressive, that’s all.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My statement is not that OTT. The list is not impressive, that’s all.
To put it in perspective: if the Avs drafted an Adam Lowry type player in the third round, would you consider that good value? I sure would. Value is relative when it comes to scouting. Maybe Lowry isn't a star, but he's still an NHLer, which is still something we struggle to get in late rounds.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm surprised seeing some backlash to this hiring in this thread...

It's just a amateur scout... his main job is to travel and identify players... its his boss, and his bosses boss to make the decision who they draft. He just has to know about all kids right away when asked.

He knows WHL kids like the back of his hand and will be a great addition for the next 5+ years forsure seeing that he has seen all them play since they were 14 years old.

Great guy, hard worker.. good hiring

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It's just a amateur scout... his main job is to travel and identify players... its his boss, and his bosses boss to make the decision who they draft. He just has to know about all kids right away when asked.

He knows WHL kids like the back of his hand and will be a great addition for the next 5+ years forsure seeing that he has seen all them play since they were 14 years old.

I'm all for it. I don't love the Avs amateur scouting at present (they seem to have hit better in recent years but...still) so any new pair of eyes with a decent track record is welcome in my books.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

He has a ton of connections and that's extremely important Jim, however, it's looking like (especially for me) Avs do not necessarily have a head of scout problem, but a regional scout problem. Avs CHL scouts through the three leagues have been terrible except for maybe Mesonero. He's pinpointed some interesting talent, but even then not a lot has made it through his ranks. Wingert is another that I hear good things, but not necessarily sure he's had the history to determine if he's been a good hire. Additionally, Avs have some European scouts, but majority of the time the picks are just throwing them a bone in the last three rounds like they did with Aman (and he isn't anything special).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I did not ask for stars. I just said that the list is unimpressive. Feel free to be impressed.

Check this out for a better list:
Elite Prospects - Québec Remparts - Where are they now?

Plus add Domingue and Erne.

I’m not necessarily impressed or unimpressed, just seeing the reality of the situation and that the team enjoyed a relatively successful run under his watch. It’s just one scout in charge of scouting one league, seems like a decent hire. But by all means if you know of the next Trevor Timmins, point him in Denver’s direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad