Confirmed with Link: Avs Hire Oil Kings' Jamie Porter to Join Amateur Scouting Staff

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sounds like Klip is starting to remake the amateur scouting staff. That room needs fresh voices, especially for the CHL region, so I'll be cautiously optimistic not knowing anything else about him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like Klip is starting to remake the amateur scouting staff. That room needs fresh voices, especially for the CHL region, so I'll be cautiously optimistic not knowing anything else about him.

He's the replacement for Klip since he can't focus on the Dub anymore.

Porter has been around forever in the Dub and been a part of building some great teams.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There’s a good Q&A with him on YT, seems like he knows what he’s talking about. Any thoughts on his preferences?

I don't know a ton just beyond who he's developed. In that way, he's the typical western Canadian sort of scout. Likes big farm boys and physical games. NHLers that have flowed through his orgs are Eakin, Lowry, Heatherington, DeBrusk, Lajoie, and soon to be Guenther.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
This is not the Confirmed With Link I wanted to see...

giphy.webp

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is an unbelievable guy.. such a nice person and always busted his ass travelling and watching bantam/midget games... was very well liked amongst other scouts and other team management.

Great hiring for you guys

I always figured the past few years that it was only a matter of time until he's in the NHL

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don't know a ton just beyond who he's developed. In that way, he's the typical western Canadian sort of scout. Likes big farm boys and physical games. NHLers that have flowed through his orgs are Eakin, Lowry, Heatherington, DeBrusk, Lajoie, and soon to be Guenther.
That does not sound that great...

Shouldn’t we hire an NHL guy that is scouting junior and not a junior guy scouting midgets?:huh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm with hench that he's a prototypical prairie player type of scout (considering he's from farm country), but I really like this hire and I think he's got a good eye. Just don't allow him to have free reigns and draft all the McIlraths' and we should be okay with his scout selection.

I still think Avs should hire at least two more European scouts. You can get away with very limited scouts if you're like the Senators and hit many different prospects in many different rounds. Avs with their insanely average to below-average scouting team needs all the help they can get.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm with hench that he's a prototypical prairie player type of scout (considering he's from farm country), but I really like this hire and I think he's got a good eye. Just don't allow him to have free reigns and draft all the McIlraths' and we should be okay with his scout selection.

I still think Avs should hire at least two more European scouts. You can get away with very limited scouts if you're like the Senators and hit many different prospects in many different rounds. Avs with their insanely average to below-average scouting team needs all the help they can get.

Doesn't do any good if the Avs don't have a good system to combine the scouting reports and make an accurate list.

At this point, it's hard to say if it's the lack of scouts or their organization.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He’s a rookie at drafting for the NHL.

I see. It seems like most of the new hires in scouting come from junior anyway though.

The older guys reputation probably isn't as strong, since they spent most of their career scouting for a fairly different NHL than the one now.

The guys that have spent time scouting junior have spent most of their time scouting the modern style of hockey and probably spent more time working with analytics than the older guys.

Also if you're bringing in a new guy from junior, he's probably already well versed in the prospects for the next 3-4 years.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I see. It seems like most of the new hires in scouting come from junior anyway though.

The older guys reputation probably isn't as strong, since they spent most of their career scouting for a fairly different NHL than the one now.

The guys that have spent time scouting junior have spent most of their time scouting the modern style of hockey and probably spent more time working with analytics than the older guys.

Also if you're bringing in a new guy from junior, he's probably already well versed in the prospects for the next 3-4 years.
You make valid and interesting points, thanks for the input.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It’s not like it’s a who’s who of NHL talent.

Again, it's ONE team. Your expectations seem a tad outta whack. I'm sure some prominent junior teams like the London Knights or some Q teams have produced some future stars at a semi-regular clip but that can't be the case with every single one. There's tons of them, and landing a big star takes as much dumb luck and, well, good connections as anything else. The fact that they took some unheralded players and developed them into worthwhile NHL players is notable in and of itself. Do they need to spit out a Connor McDavid or two?

This is like saying "Yeah, DU has won a few national titles, but man, they've only produced guys like Matt Carle and Tyler Bozak."

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At the very least, he'll bring a ton of knowledge about the WHL as a whole. He will have been watching many of these kids since they were 14, and probably already has notes on kids who are 3-4 years out from their draft years, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad