Avs Final Player Grades

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, because your captain getting himself suspended when your team is in the playoff hunt isn't awful at all. :sarcasm:

Seriously do not understand the love affair some people have for this guy. he's a great penalty killer... yay! He's supposed to be a power forward but he loses a lot of puck battles, and only uses a power move two or three times a season. He was supposed to be a good leader, and yet we go 1-8 down the stretch and the team he supposedly leads quits on their coach and plays like rancid garbage. Did he say anything to the guys? Did he try to get them to rally? Well, if he did, I'm pretty sure they didn't take it to heart because they flat out quit, and than so did he.

Not that I'm going to get into an argument with you about Landeskog because it's pointless, people feel one of two ways about him no matter what, but Chet isn't really the president of the Landeskog Fan Club... Far from it, actually :laugh:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Goalers
Semyon Varlamov: C+. Still had a chunk of .930+ wins when the Avs were badly outshot.

Calvin Pickard: B+. Looks like we have a player.

Defensemen
Erik Johnson: C-. Underwhelming most of the season.

Tyson Barrie: C. Better than EJ many nights, still crummy defensively.

Francois Beauchemin: C+. Was far and away the best blue liner until February or so.

Nick Holden: D. Dude simply stinks.

Chris Bigras: B-. He fell apart at the very end, but I thought he was generally OK in his first couple dozen NHL games.

Gormley: C. He was better than the non-NHL crew below, but still underwhelming.

Zadorov/Stuart/Gelinas: INC.

Redmond, Bodnarchuk, Guenin: The whole non-NHL crew gets an F.

Forwards
Matt Duchene: B-

Gabriel Landeskog: C+

Nathan MacKinnon: C

Carl Soderberg: B. He was good most of the season, and he was very important to the Avs success. Does everything fairly well and nothing poorly.

Small sidebar:

The Avs started the season 4-9-1 and ended the season 1-8, for a total of 5-17-1.
In those 23 games, Soderberg's stats were 1g/9a/10pts.

The rest of the Avs season, the team went 34-22-3.
In those 59 games, Soderberg's stats were 11g/30a/41pts.

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

Jarome Iginla: D. Two years ago, a whole lot of posters felt that the third year of this contract would be ugly business. That came early.

Blake Comeau: C+. Meh, not bad.

Mikhail Grigorenko: C+ Flashes, but meh, not bad.

John Mitchell: D+. Liked him before this season, but he fell off a cliff.

Jack Skille: C+.

Cody McLeod: C

Mikkel Boedker: C. I wasn't really impressed by him. He has speed and some stick skill, but wasn't impressive physically or defensively in the least. Not worth $5M+ per season.

Shawn Matthias: B+. Was pleasantly surprised by him. The way he worked the boards combined with some scoring skill reminded me a little of Ulf Dahlen.

Andreas Martinsen: D. AHL player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My highest and lowest grades first.

Tyson Barrie: Gets an A, mainly because he has been anchored with mostly crap for defensive partners this season and still managed to be an effective player. First Guenin, then Holden. When he gets a legit player on his left side, then I think people will ease up on his less-than-stellar defensive zone prowess. It's just not what he's built to do. A better system would also do wonders here.

Nate Guenin: I don't enjoy slapping this grade on him because his WAY overdue time in the NHL was the result of poor coaching/management. Nevertheless, I still maintain that while he was in the league, he was its very worst defenseman. F.

Matt Duchene: B - Started out the season like garbage, then became the team's most productive and effective player. Petered out a bit near the end but it was bound to happen. I would probably stop being an Avs fan if he ends up being traded.

Gabriel Landeskog: C - Inexcusable lapses in judgment for a guy carrying the C bring his grade down. Also needs to step up his play when the team needs it the most.

Nick Holden: D - He avoids a failing grade for at least not completely sucking. Still...the fact the team thought they had a legit shot at the playoffs with him in the top four speaks more about how mediocre-to-bad these bottom-half Western teams are than anything else. Until this guy is gone or reduced down to a 7th D-man role, they are not for real.

The rest in quick succession:

EJ and Beauchemin: B-

Skille, Mitchell, and McLeod: C+

Soderberg and Comeau: B

Chris Bigras: INC

Semyon Varlamov: B- - He was the only reason on a lot of nights the team won at all. But if he ends up being the rumored "core player" traded I won't throw a Daryl-Dixon-got-killed-in-the-Walking-Dead riot. Probably means this team REALLY goes down the **** tubes as a result...but maybe that's what needs to happen to get this franchise to finally wake up.

Calvin Pickard: B - I still don't know what this guy's ceiling is, but if he's the #1 guy going forward, they could do worse.

I assume coaching/management grades or analysis is to be done elsewhere so I'll refrain from saying anything further about that.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Let's just say that no one on this team is an A student and leave it at that. Duchene, Soderberg, Beauchemin & Pickard are in B territory, but everyone else is in the C realm, with a few lower than that. All in all, not a good year individually or collectively for this bunch.

Last edited:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Duchene: A
MacKinnon: B+
Landeskog: B-
Soderberg: B-
Matthias: B-
Comeau: B-
Boedker: C+
Iginla: C-
McLeod: C-
Skille: D+
Mitchell: D+
Grigorenko: D+
McLeod: D+
Martinsen: D
Rantanen: D
Tanguay: F
Everberg: F

Barrie: A
EJ: B
Gelinas: B-
Holden: C
Bigras: C
Gormley: C-
Zads: D
Beauch: D
Redmond: D
Bodnarchuk: F
Stuart: F
Guenin: I hate Nate Guenin

Berra: B+
Pickard: B+
Varly: C

my analysis is that this team is largely bereft of talent

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wanted time to think about this for a bit. Taking expectations and role into account. I'll go with the theory that nobody deserved an A but I'm not liberally handing out Fs either.

Beauchemin B-: On balance the best defenseman this team had. Started running out of gas at the end but the verteran presence was very much needed.
Barrie C+: For his skating, how he moves the puck and points I want more from someone who is going to get paid like he drives the offense, because he doesn't.
Johnson C: The injury or whatever it was seemed to effect him longer than it should have, way too inconsistent especially down the stretch but still had some good moments too.
Holden C-: Overmatched and overused he still held a portion of the defense together. Unfortunately went from a solid start to a poor finish.
Gormley C-: Much better here than in the AHL but never fully put it together after showing some good flashes.
Redmond D+: The occasional pretty play masked a whole lot of derp
Guenin D: Marginalized but too little too late, a few games kept it simple it worked
Chuck D-: There were a couple things he did that were ok but he still never answered the question of why the hell he was here to begin with.
Zadorov INC/B-: Going back to the AHL a couple times was disappointing but he consistently showed why he's a talent this team desperately needs.
Bigras INC/B-: Taking his minutes and role into account he had a solid showing. Even if the last few games were rough he still played nearly every game after what should have been a short callup.
Gelinas INC: Looked like he could help the offense but we'll find out next year.

Soderberg B+: Overall best player on the team this season. Tailed off a bit late but really was a solid, steady, smart center that this team has needed for a while
Matthias B+: Obviously partly due to his role but his energy, physicality and scoring ability was a perfect fit for the team
Duchene B: 30 goals is 30 goals, still the best offensive player on this team even if he needs to help himself at times
Grigorenko B: Partly due to unknown expectations but his growth and defensive play this season were some of the few positives and pleasant surprises. He should be proud of the season he had and hope he can build on it.
MacKinnon B-: Always good but needs to find that next level, its time. Team always loses a bit of its identity without him.
Landeskog B-: Points were there enough for me but has to find the balance between physical and undisciplined better
Skille B-: Tailed off at the end but for a 4th liner brought some much needed life and energy, fit his role very well
McLeod B-: He does his job fine, fought less this season, he was fine in his role, I really have no complaints
Comeau C+: Some good and some dumb but took on quite a large role from the start and for the most part did ok
Boedker C: Some good, some bad. Took over a few games but was absent in others, especially defensively
Iginla C: Tale of two players, when he's using his shot scoring goals he's an A and when he's playing 5 on 5 for most of the time he's an F.
Martinsen C: Frustrating player at times, had some really nice moments but really wonder how much more there is to see. Ideally a 4th liner
Wagner C: The Duck we borrowed for 3 months I enjoyed for the most part especially when the puck was going forward. Had some nice energy and a couple huge goals.
Mitchell C-: I can generally appreciate his role but was really one of the worst players down the stretch
Tanguay D-: Really unfortunate so many nights he just had nothing to give, his decline really hurt the team
Rantanen INC: Just not enough time or a chance to show what he can do, in last callup showed flashes though
Agozzino INC: One of the few who was still making things happen at the end of the season but hard to draw much conclusion from garbage time

Pickard B-: Hasn't been thrust into the fire completely yet but he did his job well and adjusted to the backup role
Varlamov C+: Too inconsistent, didn't even see .900 for the first couple of months. Had some great moments too.
Berra C-: Had a good couple weeks and improved over last year but it wasn't enough to keep him around

Obviously Stuart, Rendulic, Everberg, Street just had a few minutes early, not worth mentioning

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Nobody deserves an A on this team. I'd give maybe 2-3 B-'s (Beauch, Bigras, Pickard) based on expectations, everyone else is a C or below.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Surprised how high some of you have Barrie at, don't think he even comes close to a B+ for me.

I guess it depends on your expectation. If you just expect him to be a OFD who should be sheltered, then I can understand the B+ rating.

However, I agree that he doesn't come close to a B+ rating.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Pickard: B
Berra: B-
Varly: D

Matthias: B+
Soderberg: B
Boedker: B
Grigorenko: B-
Skille: B-
Martinsen: B-
Comeau: C+