Avs Final Player Grades

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I enjoy this thread and haven't seen it up, might be due to all the depression around here, but I am excepting this topic to be fully negative.

Goalers
Semyon Varlamov: C- He was one of the main reasons why Avs were able to challenge for a playoff spot until the end. But when the games really counted, he coward and wasn't the Avs best player when he needed to be.

Calvin Pickard: B- Looked good and played with a quite a bit of swagger. Don't really have anything bad to say about him, but there are traits he still needs to work on before making that next step. One of them in particular is his lateral movement and letting in big 5 hole goals.

Reto Berra: N/A Berra has the good and bad moments, seems like a good teammate and quality backup, but that is still a brutal trade.

Defensemen
Erik Johnson: C- Ups and downs for Erik, but his stats line was quite disappointing for a player with his talent. I think this season has shown that his intelligence probably won't ever match his physical ability. I think he's still an average to below-average #1, but probably won't ever become anything more.

Tyson Barrie: C- Offencive side he carried the Avs and was quite good on just puck rushing ability by himself. But defensive side, he has never progressed and was too aggressive at times he didn't need to be when Avs were up a goal. One of the main problems as I mentioned before is he's going for body checks, when he should play a puck stealing game via stick skills instead.

Francois Beauchemin: B Form and play fell apart towards the end there, but more to be blamed by the coach than the player. Overall though, it was a quite successful season from him becoming one of the best free agent signings of the past summer. Roy will need to reduce his minutes more next season, but has provided so much thus far.

Nick Holden: D- Deserves an F, but he did have a good first half which should get a quick mention. Sorry, but totally disagree with the people who think he sucked for the whole season. He did play quite good for a two to three month period. He seems like a good guy and teammate, but lack of intelligence and just overall lack of ability makes him one of the worst players this season (and hopefully gone for next).

Nikita Zadorov: C Considering his age, I think C is a fair grade. He's still trying to figure out the defenseman he wants to become and went through growing pains from this. At times, his decision making was just atrocious at the first half of the season. He looked quite arrogant in his abilities, and sending him down made him have an eye opening experience. Since his call him, he has played a much simpler game with an fantastic passing, rushing, and physical elements. Still trying to get more confident when in those prime scoring chances, but IMO they will come with time.

Chris Bigras: B- Played to his strengths and didn't look out of place. You can tell his hockey IQ is quite remarkable and the main reason why he never made a lot of mistakes. But as a lot of Avs, his play fell as the season went along and I was quite disappointed with his pick skills. For a player who had around 70 points in the OHL, some of those mistakes were more brutal than the game against Arizona that made Zadorov get sent down for. Whatever the case, Avs have a good one in Bigras to desperately help this Avs D core for next season.

Zach Redmond: D- Too risky to consistently stay in the line up. Made some good plays and can rush the puck, but horrible in 1v1 battles and decision making. Lets hope he's also gone for next season.

Forwards
Matt Duchene: B- Still beyond too inconsistent showing a weak mental side of the game. Weak in terms of he's a weak person, but weak in the viewing that he gets too down on himself, every player gets down on their selves, but Matt takes it to a new level. On the bright side though, he figured it out and went on a good run getting to thirty goals which Avs haven't had since the mid 2000's with Sakic.

Gabriel Landeskog: C It was a nice bounce back from a horrible start to the season, but that can't go unnoticed for me either. Battles hard as anyone, and is one of the more tough players with the puck, but simple mistakes have been his downfall. One of them is focusing on being too aggressive leaving his man which became a storyline for him throughout the season. He looked like he was trying to do too much out there and overthink a lot of plays, which didn't need to be. He's a proud player and one of the few who looked emotionally pissed considering this season a failure.

Nathan MacKinnon: C- Was still a learning year for MacKinnon, needs to realize that you can score besides trying to snipe it in everytime. Also needs to know what to do when teams adjust to his speed. Too many times did we see him buttonhook the play just giving time to the opposing team gain back positioning for defense. Even Rycroft mentions that a lot of good things happened to MacKinnon when he went into the zone, making the defenders back off, and just shoot the puck. Of course the goaler would save it 9 out of 10 times, but 9 out of those 10 times resulted into at least a rebound for another Avs forward to pounce on it.

Carl Soderberg: B- I thought it was a successful season for Soderberg, hell he posted a career year in overall points. But as good as he was, there were stretches where he disappeared and games where he was soft physically. He's still a solid player to replace the strengths that Stastny brought including deceptive skills like stickhandling and playmaking. But like Stastny before him, there will be times where he goes into ghost mode for a week. Overall good first season and excepting him to have a more consistent year when MacKinnon is healthy again dropping his minutes.

Jarome Iginla: D I appreciate his effort, he's still a pretty talented player regarding on the tiny details, but some of main aspects of hockey, he has totally regressed in. Will always go down as a class act and HOF for me, but it's just time to move on and hope a Cup contender can take him off our hands for next season.

Blake Comeau: C I think a solid mid grade is perfect for Comeau. I am still a Comeau fan, he has cons, but his pros for me outweigh these aspects. One of them I truly admired was his work ethic and how insanely good it was. He is a player you know wants to win, and that desire also contributes to him to hold on the puck a bit too long, which gets him into trouble. Keep his minutes a bit lower next season including off the powerplay, but he was a good signing.

Mikhail Grigorenko: B+ He was one of the few successful seasons for the Avs, so he gets a pretty good grade. His effort and competitiveness has really grown over the 82 game season. I don't think he's quite there yet in evolving his game into a more complex one, but he's getting close. As we also saw, he's one of the smarter players on the Avs where more body mass and power skating will help him in the future. Looking forward to him next season.

John Mitchell: D He has the good side of Malkin and the bad side of Mitchell. He's kind of like the Shane O'Brien of forwards where he thinks he's better than what he is. He was a good player for the club for a long time, but this season he fell back into the dark abyss where he earned his nickname of Malkin. Had his good moments, and looked quite good when Duchene and MacKinnon were injured, but just very frustrating player overall. He's another player I hope is gone for next season, I think I might rather see Hishon/Agozzino there as the 4th line option instead.

Jack Skille: C+ Just amazing effort and desire to do all he can for the club. I wouldn't mind re-signing him to the same amount, but wouldn't be too disappointed if he left. After his injury, it looked like whatever form he was on, just wasn't able to piece again together. Good 4th liner, just nothing more.

Cody McLeod: D+ This might be too harsh on Cody, he wears his heart on his sleeve and was okay on penatly killing. I just think he's a player that all coaches trust a bit too much leading him to play absurd roles like powerplay or even on the first line at times. That's not his fault, but I think he's a very dumb hockey player. As average players think in the two dimension (north to south) and the stars thinking in the three (north to south, but also west to east), McLeod is a very two dimension player. But not only that, I think he's a fairly low two dimension showing the same problems Holden does, late to reaction and normally wrong in puck anticipation. Won't be the reason why Avs win or lose games, which is the reason why he will be back next season (won't be good or bad for me.

Mikkel Boedker: B He is what he is, a complimentary top 6 piece. Though it was nice to see this team go out and grab more hockey intelligent players. He made quite a difference and you could tell that he reads the game at a high rate, even if he has other problems. Being weak physically and not very consistent in defensive ability (better than Jamie McGinn, that's for sure, he was Godawful defensively). Even if Avs don't re-sign, I will still like him as a player and hope his future endeavors work out for him, just don't think he's a player worth gambling Avs future cap space over. Would be a good replacement to bring back if Avs don't land Radulov.

Shawn Matthias: B+ Always a Matthias fan, and he cemented my opinion about him when he was able to play with talented players. Like Boedker, he is complimentary piece, but also like Boedker, give him some good players to play with and he rarely misses the opportunity. Along to go with other players, love the effort, body usage, and how he goes to the dirty areas. Though I thought his defensive game got quite a bit overrated on HFboards by everyone. Definitely a player I would love to see next year in an Avs jersey for the right price.

Andreas Martinsen: D+ I think Martinsen developed over the course of the season, which is a good sign. I think he can progress into something nice with more experience, but lets not forget he was pointless for 50ish games (a big amount). Don't really have anything else to say about him, lets hope he progresses and at least becomes an average bottom 6 player.

Limited Viewings
Andrew Bodnarchuk, D
Eric Gelinas, D
Brad Stuart, D
Andrew Agozzino, C

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Agree with most, but i'd change a few:

Varlamov - C+ (He wasn't great, but he stood on he still stole us a few games and wasn't the reason we lost any of them)

Pickard - B+ (He's 23 yrs old and posted some good stats on a horrendous Avs squad)

Boedker - B- (As SEPH said, he's a complimentary player. However, there were quite a few noticeable shifts where he took the lazy man approach)

Comeau - B- (Gives it his all every game, it's not his fault Roy utilizes him as a top 6 winger instead of a bottom 6.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Shawn Matthias: B+

Interesting that he's the player with the highest ratings on your list...

Out of the players that spent the entire year here:

Best surprise: Soda

Out of the core, Barrie is the one that had the best year IMO (and it wasn't spectacular). Duchene was ok.

EJ, Mack, Landy and Varly were all disappointing. Can't do good when your core doesn't play well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Relative to expectations and production, given his limited time here I'd agree with giving Matthias the highest rating. He provided everything we could have asked for, and then some.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Goaltenders
Semyon Varlamov: [D-] My expectation of Varly is high, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks. We should have solid goaltending every night when he is in net, and I think we only really got that during the middle of the season. The beginning and end he was bad, far too frequently.

Calvin Pickard: [A-] Pickard looked really good when he was up with the team and should be here next season. One of the brightest spots of the season.

Reto Berra: [B+] Berra was a statistical bright spot early on when Varly was struggling. Injuries aren't within his control, and while I think he is below Pickard on the totem pole, he played well much more often than I would have expected when he was healthy.

Defensemen
Erik Johnson: [C] I think EJ himself would say he was hoping to give more this season. He wasn't bad, he just wasn't good, for his standard of course.

Tyson Barrie: [A-] Took another step forward in his development, and handled more minuted night in night out. Was another of few bright spots with the Avs. He is never going to be a defensive stalwart, but that's not what he is here for.

Francois Beauchemin: [C] Shares his grade with EJ. Coincidence? FB had an above average start and a below average finish to even out the year.

Nick Holden: [A-] Holden is a guy who is a fringe NHLer, and this year he way over matched slotting in as our #4. He got exposed frequently but he also did a lot of good things. By his standards (which is basically an AHL defensemen) he had a really good season. Was very impressive at times, which is very surprising. And even when he wasn't you could easily make the case that he was set up to fail by Roy/Sakic. After this season I think Holden earned another year on the team, but should slot in at #6.

Nikita Zadorov: [F] He was supposed to come in and be our #4. Instead he had to play basically the entire year in the AHL, and when he was up didn't exactly look like he belonged. Hopefully another off-season of training and his experience this year turn him into a completely different player next season.

Chris Bigras: [B] For such a young kid, he looked remarkably good in an Avs uniform. He still needs development, but unlike Zadorov not much was expected of him this year and he looked close to being ready for significant minutes.

Zach Redmond: [F] I'm probably being a little mean here, but he is a fringe NHL defensemen who, based on his performance this year, belongs in the minors.

Forwards
Matt Duchene: [A-] One of the only consistent offensive threats this year, after October that is.

Gabriel Landeskog: [D] I want more from Landeskog. Period. His points weren't terrible, but he didn't look like the force that he should be often enough. He looked and played soft.

Nathan MacKinnon: [C-] Disappointing year overall. Looked ready to explode at the beginning of the season but really fell off.

Carl Soderberg: [A-] Wasn't particularly fond of Soda early on but he really changed my view by the end of the season. Is a very well rounded centre that does a lot of good things. Definitely made up for his slow start by the end of the year.

Jarome Iginla: [D-] On the depth chart Iggy is slotted in as a top 6 forward. I don't think he didn't try, but he was clearly too long in the tooth for the minutes/quality minutes he was receiving. His production was so forced by premium ice time. The question is, will he accept a reduced role next season? Because he needs to be on the 3rd or 4th line and off the top powerplay. Period.

Blake Comeau: [B] Comeau was not bad, but not good. But actually he was mostly good. His role is a 3rd liner, and he delivered as an above average 3rd liner.

Mikhail Grigorenko: [C] Fits into the not good but not bad category. Definitely improved over the course of the season. I think he will be given a chance as a full time top 6 forward next season since our 3rd/4th lines should be (assuming Matthias resigns: Comeau Soda Matthias, McLeod Mitchell Martinsen)

John Mitchell: [B] Mitchell just gets overplayed so often. If he is kept where he belongs in the role of 4th line centre (or 3rd line with injuries) he is totally solid.

Jack Skille: [B+] He's a 4th liner but he looked like he wanted to be here and like he wanted to work. What more would you have wanted from him this season?

Cody McLeod: [C] Cody's Cody. He wasn't good but he wasn't bad. He was decent on the PK, and provided energy when he was out there without being defensively irresponsible.

Mikkel Boedker: [B] Was pretty good in his limited time here. Not sure what else to say about him. Would be a decent top 6 forward if he can be resigned at a reasonable (4.5million) contract.

Shawn Matthias: [A+] I think Matthias was literally stellar and probably the most impressive player down the stretch. I don't think he is more than a 3rd liner, but he is a very very good third liner.

Andreas Martinsen: [C-] Martinsen improved as the year went on. I remember saying to myself, "this guy doesn't belong in the NHL" early on in the year. In the middle I said, "I see what they see in this guy." The problem is I don't think he really developed enough. Even though he did develop. Where does he slot in? He definitely played too much outside of the 4th line, which is where he should be.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Great post Seph. I'd write my own but every player would be pretty close to what you said.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Calvin Pickard: [A-] Pickard looked really good when he was up with the team and should be here next season. One of the brightest spots of the season.

Reto Berra: [B+] Berra was a statistical bright spot early on when Varly was struggling. Injuries aren't within his control, and while I think he is below Pickard on the totem pole, he played well much more often than I would have expected when he was healthy.

Tyson Barrie: [A-] Took another step forward in his development, and handled more minuted night in night out. Was another of few bright spots with the Avs. He is never going to be a defensive stalwart, but that's not what he is here for.

Nick Holden: [A-] Holden is a guy who is a fringe NHLer, and this year he way over matched slotting in as our #4. He got exposed frequently but he also did a lot of good things. By his standards (which is basically an AHL defensemen) he had a really good season. Was very impressive at times, which is very surprising. And even when he wasn't you could easily make the case that he was set up to fail by Roy/Sakic. After this season I think Holden earned another year on the team, but should slot in at #6.

Chris Bigras: [B] For such a young kid, he looked remarkably good in an Avs uniform. He still needs development, but unlike Zadorov not much was expected of him this year and he looked close to being ready for significant minutes.

Matt Duchene: [A-] One of the only consistent offensive threats this year, after October that is.

Carl Soderberg: [A-] Wasn't particularly fond of Soda early on but he really changed my view by the end of the season. Is a very well rounded centre that does a lot of good things. Definitely made up for his slow start by the end of the year.

Blake Comeau: [B] Comeau was not bad, but not good. But actually he was mostly good. His role is a 3rd liner, and he delivered as an above average 3rd liner.

John Mitchell: [B] Mitchell just gets overplayed so often. If he is kept where he belongs in the role of 4th line centre (or 3rd line with injuries) he is totally solid.

Jack Skille: [B+] He's a 4th liner but he looked like he wanted to be here and like he wanted to work. What more would you have wanted from him this season?

Mikkel Boedker: [B] Was pretty good in his limited time here. Not sure what else to say about him. Would be a decent top 6 forward if he can be resigned at a reasonable (4.5million) contract.

Shawn Matthias: [A+] I think Matthias was literally stellar and probably the most impressive player down the stretch. I don't think he is more than a 3rd liner, but he is a very very good third liner.

That's a lot of A and B grades for a team that did not make the playoffs, IMO.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Nikita Zadorov: [F] He was supposed to come in and be our #4. Instead he had to play basically the entire year in the AHL, and when he was up didn't exactly look like he belonged. Hopefully another off-season of training and his experience this year turn him into a completely different player next season.
WTF? It's not Zadorov's fault the Avs banked on him being a #4. He was a teenager who probably shouldn't have been in the OHL still last year, but got rushed for various reasons. This was a good development year for him. He looked better after each callup. An F looks ridiculous for Zadorov next to an A- for Holden. Holden had a really nice start to the season but his game completely fell apart in the middle of January until the end of the year.

I'll probably do grades at some point. I think this was a pretty average team so probably a lot of C's.

Last edited:

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
You are right its not really Zadorov's fault the Avs had such high expectations of him going into the season but can you deny in any way that they did?

He was absolutely expected to slot right in with Barrie at the #3/4 location and be part of the immediate cure for our blueline (along with Beauch). He spent basically the entire season in the AHL. Obviously I still like him as a long term prospect but its still questionable after this season if he will be ready for a major role (top 4) NEXT season, so its not like his development took off. Its about as disappointing a year as you can get. Not sure what to call that other than an F.

Meanwhile Nick Holden was basically set up to fail and actually succeeded (remarkably) for a considerable chunk of the season. Holden is a #6/7 and shouldn't be playing more than ~15 minutes a night and he was one of the leaders in ice time, while looking pretty good way more often than anyone would have expected.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
You are right its not really Zadorov's fault the Avs had such high expectations of him going into the season but can you deny in any way that they did?

He was absolutely expected to slot right in with Barrie at the #3/4 location and be part of the immediate cure for our blueline (along with Beauch). He spent basically the entire season in the AHL. Obviously I still like him as a long term prospect but its still questionable after this season if he will be ready for a major role (top 4) NEXT season, so its not like his development took off. Its about as disappointing a year as you can get.
You give Zadorov an F for being put in a role he wasn't ready for. You give Holden an A- for being put in a role he wasn't capable of playing but still being impressive at times. That doesn't make a ton of sense.

It was still a good development year for Zadorov, he went down to the AHL and produced well, and when he came up, there was strides taken with his game. I definitely disagree with you giving him an F. Rantanen started the year with the team and had to be sent down when he wasn't ready. Does that mean he would get a poor grade for the year too? I think SEPH is on the button with the C.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
You give Zadorov an F for being put in a role he wasn't ready for. You give Holden an A- for being put in a role he wasn't capable of playing but still being impressive at times. That doesn't make a ton of sense.

How does that not make sense? Ignore the names for a second and look at just the performances of the season and mark them.

A top 4 defender who is brought in to fix the blueline that instead plays the year in the AHL.
A 6/7 defender who elevates his role and looks like he belongs in the top 4 for you know, a decent part of the season.

What would Nick Holden have to do to get an A in your book? because in mine (for him) to play the entire season as a top 4 defenseman and not look absolutely terrible the entire time pretty much does it.

If Barrie or Beauchemin randomly had to play the entire season in the AHL because they weren't playing well enough, would that not garner an F from you? I don't disagree that obviously expectations were unfairly high. You are right. But that is definitely where they were.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't personally place circumstances into grading, Zadorov's performance while here was not worthy of an F. There's a difference between sending a 20 year old with first year eligibility to play in the AHL to the minors and waiving a guy too. But hey, everyone is free to grade how they see fit.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Goaltenders
Semyon Varlamov: [D-] My expectation of Varly is high, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks. We should have solid goaltending every night when he is in net, and I think we only really got that during the middle of the season. The beginning and end he was bad, far too frequently.

Defensemen
Erik Johnson: [C] I think EJ himself would say he was hoping to give more this season. He wasn't bad, he just wasn't good, for his standard of course.

Francois Beauchemin: [C] Shares his grade with EJ. Coincidence? FB had an above average start and a below average finish to even out the year.

Zach Redmond: [F] I'm probably being a little mean here, but he is a fringe NHL defensemen who, based on his performance this year, belongs in the minors.

Forwards

Gabriel Landeskog: [D] I want more from Landeskog. Period. His points weren't terrible, but he didn't look like the force that he should be often enough. He looked and played soft.

Nathan MacKinnon: [C-] Disappointing year overall. Looked ready to explode at the beginning of the season but really fell off.

Jarome Iginla: [D-] On the depth chart Iggy is slotted in as a top 6 forward. I don't think he didn't try, but he was clearly too long in the tooth for the minutes/quality minutes he was receiving. His production was so forced by premium ice time. The question is, will he accept a reduced role next season? Because he needs to be on the 3rd or 4th line and off the top powerplay. Period.

Mikhail Grigorenko: [C] Fits into the not good but not bad category. Definitely improved over the course of the season. I think he will be given a chance as a full time top 6 forward next season since our 3rd/4th lines should be (assuming Matthias resigns: Comeau Soda Matthias, McLeod Mitchell Martinsen)

Cody McLeod: [C] Cody's Cody. He wasn't good but he wasn't bad. He was decent on the PK, and provided energy when he was out there without being defensively irresponsible.

Andreas Martinsen: [C-] Martinsen improved as the year went on. I remember saying to myself, "this guy doesn't belong in the NHL" early on in the year. In the middle I said, "I see what they see in this guy." The problem is I don't think he really developed enough. Even though he did develop. Where does he slot in? He definitely played too much outside of the 4th line, which is where he should be.

Unless that A for Holden stands for Ass then I would agree because Nick Holden played like straight ass after the all star break. Most of the blame on that belongs to his coach who drove him into the ground by playing him way too much. Same goes for FB.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Defensemen

May I respectfully ask what the criteria are for these grades?

Those 4 defensemen were on the ice for (give or take) 3/4ths of the Avs season. That defense I watched all season gets two A's and two C's?

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I enjoy this thread and haven't seen it up, might be due to all the depression around here, but I am excepting this topic to be fully negative.

Goalers
Semyon Varlamov: C- He was one of the main

... bottom 6 player.

Limited Viewings
Andrew Bodnarchuk, D
Eric Gelinas, D
Brad Stuart, D
Andrew Agozzino, C

Thank you so much for that post. Great reading :yo::yo::handclap:

I can not comment on your ratings since i did not watch enough games to make a proper opinion.

But I agree 100% with you on Mack. He needs to understand that what was working for him in the Junior will not necessary work in the NHL. Talent is there but he needs a mentor to show him to relax a bit, to take the time to analyse the game a little more. Great player will dictate the tempo of the game and he needs to work on it.

I also agree with the D you gave to Iginla. I love the guy and he had a great career. Future HOF all the way but he needs to go, his 6M$ needs to be invested somewhere else. As a veteran, Beauchemin helped us a lot more than Iginla did this year

I wouldn't personally place circumstances into grading, Zadorov's performance while here was not worthy of an F. There's a difference between sending a 20 year old with first year eligibility to play in the AHL to the minors and waiving a guy too. But hey, everyone is free to grade how they see fit.

Tigervixxxen = the truth!! I respect everyone opinions but for me, Zadorov does not deserve an F

One thing that i did not see in this post are Roy and Sakic grade. For me, nothing more than a D.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Goaltenders

Defensemen

Forwards

I wish this is how my University handed out grades. I'd be a surgeon right now.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The only rating I had a problem with is Duchene. B- for a guy who scored 30 goals and was consistently the teams best player outside of October is pretty harsh. He was constantly asked to play babysitter for Iginla and Grigorenko and still found ways to produce. I'd say B+/A- he had a good season it's too bad no one, offensively speaking, really helped him much. Had he had not completely **** the bed in October and had any help up front, he'd probably put up close to 70pts.

Others:

Landeskog probably a little low I'd probably go B, was on par with his career numbers, didn't really do anything great but wasn't completely awful.

Comeau deserved a bit higher, he exceeded my expectations going into the year. He hasn't had that many points since 2010-2011. Plus he played a key role in our PKing which was good until the last 8-10 games. Probably would have given him a B-/B

Other than those pretty solid ratings.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
One thing that i did not see in this post are Roy and Sakic grade. For me, nothing more than a D.

Roy yes but can't give Sakic a D

Soda, Comeau, and Beauch were solid acquisitions
made the best of a bad situation in getting Zads and Greg
adding Matthias and Boedker should have been the push needed to get us into the playoffs

the only major fault I have with Sakic is the lateness to move Tanguay

C work at least

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
May I respectfully ask what the criteria are for these grades?

Those 4 defensemen were on the ice for (give or take) 3/4ths of the Avs season. That defense I watched all season gets two A's and two C's?

I personally graded people's individual performances based on what I believe should have been their expectations going into the season.

My expectation of a guy like Holden was very low, thus his grade.

If you graded players evenly across the board no 3rd/4th liner could ever get an A, and even a poorly performing top 6 player would get a C. Which would be silly.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I wont break everyone down since most of you are wiser and more eloquent

Goalers
Semyon Varlamov: Solid C. Still have concerns about his health and his "clutch" factor

Calvin Pickard: B+. Puck handling is significantly helpful and he is a batter. Definitely met expectations

Reto Berra: C/INC Pickard made him the odd man out, but I wouldn't be upset if he played out his last season as the backup if one of the above Goalies is moved

Defensemen
Erik Johnson: B. Still easily the Avs best Defenseman, and while his offense wasn't what I'd hope, he is solid for our 1st pairing and should be an alternate captain of this team

Tyson Barrie: C. Offense is there, defense is not. Lost some of his 13-14 Clutch factor.

Francois Beauchemin: B+. Exceeded my expectations, but wore down as expected. Should be the anchor of our 2nd pairing not our minute leader.

Nick Holden: B-. If he had played as he did but on the 3rd pairing, he would be more appreciated.

Nikita Zadorov and Chris Bigras: C/INC. Did well in limited time and look ready to make the full time team. Each have their different weaknesses, but neither significant enough for me to want them to see the AHL again.

Zach Redmond, Andrew Bodnarchuk, Nate Guenin, Brad Stuart: F. I don't want any of these players to see Pepsi Center ice again unless with an opponent's jersey on.

Eric Gelinas: INC. Going by my views of him in NJ and the few here, I'd put him in the category above.

Forwards
Matt Duchene: B. Still not convinced he can be the guy who carries a team when it matters most, but his play this year was a smaller roller coaster than usual. I like him at RW better.

Gabriel Landeskog: B. Would be much more who people want if he could be on a scoring line rather than the shutdown line.

Nathan MacKinnon: C Seems to have lost his way as a dynamic presence, but still productive and is getting better defensively.

Carl Soderberg: B. Not his fault he was removed from the power play and from a scoring line. Very quietly had a very good season.

Jarome Iginla: D. Too expensive to be just a power play specialist. Needs to be more the intimidator if he cant be relied on as a top 6 player.

Blake Comeau: B. another guy who is not at fault for being over used. He basically came in and produced as expected and played the game as he always has.

Mikhail Grigorenko: B+ Very good at handling the development assignments early and showed flashes of being very valuable going forward. Look forward to seeing him back.

John Mitchell: C. Still a good 4th line C who can fill in on line 3 for a bit. Another player who is overused and may need to be a cap casualty.

Jack Skille: Played a career high in games and slowed late. Not irreplaceable though.

Cody McLeod: D. Never been his biggest fan, and don't think he brings enough to the ice to make him necessary.

Mikkel Boedker: B Fit in well with both Duchene and MacK. He's no Kyle Wood, but he is someone I hope returns.

Shawn Matthias: B+ Always been a fan. He definitely fills a role the Avs are lacking and can skate with the team. Another hopeful return.

Andreas Martinsen: C-. Showed flashes, but not enough or consistently for me to lose sleep if he doesn't return.

While this may seem too positive, much of what I think ailed this team does not stem from the players, so it is hard to hold much of that against them.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Goaltenders

Defensemen

Forwards

There are only 3 player grades I agree with on this list: EJ, Comeau, and Grigorenko. The rest? Yikes. Way, way too many A's and B's. Nobody on this team deserves an A, regardless of expectations coming into the year. Especially Nick Holden. Duchene definitely doesn't deserve an A, nor does Soderberg.

Also highly disagree with your grade on Zadorov. And then you give Barrie an A-? Barrie was invisible a ton this season and struggled - again - defensively. Wouldn't give him that A- at all.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Landeskog probably a little low I'd probably go B, was on par with his career numbers, didn't really do anything great but wasn't completely awful.

Yeah, because your captain getting himself suspended when your team is in the playoff hunt isn't awful at all. :sarcasm:

Seriously do not understand the love affair some people have for this guy. he's a great penalty killer... yay! He's supposed to be a power forward but he loses a lot of puck battles, and only uses a power move two or three times a season. He was supposed to be a good leader, and yet we go 1-8 down the stretch and the team he supposedly leads quits on their coach and plays like rancid garbage. Did he say anything to the guys? Did he try to get them to rally? Well, if he did, I'm pretty sure they didn't take it to heart because they flat out quit, and than so did he.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad