Avs Draft Philosophy

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
its been blowing my mind that the avs have been more open these past few days than in the last few years. must have realized they need to do everything possible to regenerate fan interest during the rebuild

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am just curious who they don't have in there top 7. My guess would go to either Hamilton or Strome. Assuming there top 7 is 7 of the 8 guys usually mentioned, I don't see one falling to 11

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Interesting, thanks for the link. Would love to be a fly on the wall for the parts they don't show where they go through their entire lists league by league.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I am just curious who they don't have in there top 7. My guess would go to either Hamilton or Strome. Assuming there top 7 is 7 of the 8 guys usually mentioned, I don't see one falling to 11

I wouldn't assume their list is the concensus. Would not surprise me at all if they have some guys slightly lower in the concensus lists but with mature, well-rounded cerebral games higher up on their list. They mention how they'd like to see both their #2 and #11 picks be in the mix next year for spots. I'm sure all teams hope their high picks can come in and make a difference right away but the Avs tend to 'blood' their youngsters quicker than most (and with pretty good success). They obviously are continuing to look highly in character and 'compete' level just as much as skill (they had O'Reilly in their Top 15 overall list in 2009).

Just pure speculation...and I'm no expert on these prospects so feel free to ridicule this prediction but just based on recent history (Pracey and Co LOVE them some WHL and OHL players), their tendancy to highly, highly value character and two-way play and the fact that Sherman and Sakic just recently said they expect Erik Johnson to basically be this team's Rob Blake in the future and that they expect Barrie and Elliott both to be competing for spots on the Avs' blueline next season....and maybe for the fact that working a winger into the line-up smoothly is a lot more of a sure thing than a defenseman...I gotta say, I think Landeskog is the pick at #2. Not saying it's right and not saying Larsson doesn't have a high degree of character and drive himself, that's just my gut.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

It would be neat to see if they add more...likely not to come out until after the draft, a la the Blues in 2007?

I too think its probably Hamilton that they think falls outside the their top 7, and Strome is probably a touch redundant in their organization (pretty damn similar to Hishon).

All this coming from a Canucks fan who hates seeing the Avs and Oil load up on elite talent for the coming years.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!

To be honest with you, probably not. You herd that the Avs had RoR in their top 15, and Elliott as well as Barrie 24 and 25th. Even last season they had Hishon in their top 10 picks I am sure.

The Avs usually don't follow the conscious from what I can tell.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
To be honest with you, probably not. You herd that the Avs had RoR in their top 15, and Elliott as well as Barrie 24 and 25th. Even last season they had Hishon in their top 10 picks I am sure.

The Avs usually don't follow the conscious from what I can tell.

I'd go as far as to say there is never really a consensus among the league. There may be times with a consensus top 3 or 5, but that's as far as it goes, IMO. Especially in a draft such as this one, I doubt many teams have the same players after the top 4.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I'd go as far as to say there is never really a consensus among the league. There may be times with a consensus top 3 or 5, but that's as far as it goes, IMO. Especially in a draft such as this one, I doubt many teams have the same players after the top 4.

I can def agree with this.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Maybe his comment about the top 7 was in reference to NA players because he said those meetings were for putting together the NA list since the European scouts were going to meet them at the combine.

Meaning of course they didn't include Adam Larsson as he is the only European prospect worthy of being in the top 8 (maybe Zibanajad).

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
They continuously made reference how their philosophy is BPA always.

So people who have Landeskog to the Avs just because he is a winger can put that to rest. Thats not to say they won't draft Landeskog, but it will be for other reasons such as skill, character, and compete level rather than being a winger.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
With the way they value character, grit and hard work, it makes me think we have an amazing shot at Siemens at 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad