Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If I were a betting man, I'd guess Ritchie gets his 9 game stint at least. Depending on how he looks he might end up getting the entire year. The Avs do enjoy rushing prospects after all.

It might depend largely on the makeup of the roster as well. With the Nuke news I dont think we see much change in that regard(And quite frankly never did think they'd do anything down the middle) but if they did decide to move Colton it would probably further suggest the plan to start Ritchie as 3C sort of idea.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Not sure about the Europe option, but yeah I believe all that is accurate.

I think the big question regarding Ritchie is what's worse for his development:

- Go back to the OHL and risk stagnation
- Put him in the NHL too early and risk overwhelming him

Personally, I'd probably send him back. Less risky.
so risk stagnation??

Reactions: Alienblood

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
So, Ritchie can't play in the AHL next season, due to age. Options are 1) the NHL, if he makes the team. Probably will depend on how he does in training camp. 2) Back to the OHL, but sub-optimal. Or, 3) Sign Ritchie and loan him to a European club for next season. Yes???
9 games a couple healthy scratches to stretch it out to November or so get him used to NHL. Send him back before Christmas. World Juniors and dominate the second half/OHL playoffs.

Reactions: Perratrooper

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He will have nothing left to accomplish in the OHL next year as a 20 year old playing his 4th season. It will be pure domination and no test to actually improve.

NHL next season. Stick him on the RW next to Colton/Wood, they play a simple style and he can start to develop a 2 way game with that group. If he struggles, 4th line swap with LOC.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
He will have nothing left to accomplish in the OHL next year as a 20 year old playing his 4th season. It will be pure domination and no test to actually improve.

NHL next season. Stick him on the RW next to Colton/Wood, they play a simple style and he can start to develop a 2 way game with that group. If he struggles, 4th line swap with LOC.
So Kovalenko is in the top6?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO injuries to other players will also play a role in if he stays up or go back to Oshawa.

I'm sure there are a few things he could learn in Oshawa next season but are they worth sending him down for those? He has already improved on some important things this past season like skating, using his size, and going to the dirty areas according to Brock who is a very respected poster regarding OHL players.

I don't think there is anything he can learn there that he couldn't learn with the Avs. Start him on the W to get his feet wet. He would also give us some depth at C in case of injuries. At least give him his 9 games to see if he is ready. He is already a pretty good 2-way player which is something important for Bednar.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Ideally they play him a 3-4 games, health bomb him for 5 games (min requirement for stint), send him on AHL conditioning stint (see Shane Wright) which is a max of 5 games or 14 days, call him back up for 4-5 games and then send him back down to the OHL with a structured plan based on professional tape.

This is assuming that he doesn’t actually make the squad. Which may also be an option depending on team health. The way I see it, we’re likely going to make an attempt to keep Drouin given the Nuke LTIR situation. So sure fire roster forwards: MacK, Mikko, Landy, Lehky, Mitts, Colton, LOC, Wood and Drouin. We then have Kovy, Foudy, Ivan, Wagner, but none are guaranteed.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ideally they play him a 3-4 games, health bomb him for 5 games (min requirement for stint), send him on AHL conditioning stint (see Shane Wright) which is a max of 5 games or 14 days, call him back up for 4-5 games and then send him back down to the OHL with a structured plan based on professional tape.

This is assuming that he doesn’t actually make the squad. Which may also be an option depending on team health. The way I see it, we’re likely going to make an attempt to keep Drouin given the Nuke LTIR situation. So sure fire roster forwards: MacK, Mikko, Landy, Lehky, Mitts, Colton, LOC, Wood and Drouin. We then have Kovy, Foudy, Ivan, Wagner, but none are guaranteed.
Add Jedlicky to your last list.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So, Ritchie can't play in the AHL next season, due to age. Options are 1) the NHL, if he makes the team. Probably will depend on how he does in training camp. 2) Back to the OHL, but sub-optimal. Or, 3) Sign Ritchie and loan him to a European club for next season. Yes???
Europe is not an option. He’s contractually obligated to play in the OHL if he’s not in the NHL. He needs a NHL contract and proactive org commitment to play in the NHL so really it’s door #2.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Europe is not an option. He’s contractually obligated to play in the OHL if he’s not in the NHL. He needs a NHL contract and proactive org commitment to play in the NHL so really it’s door #2.
So true but i'm hopeful of #1. Really embrace the youth movement and stop depending on over-30 guys for once. He can make the 3rd line somewhat reasonable if he can nail down the defensive system.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs don't spurn kids in favour of vets. They played Cale Makar immediately. They played Bo Byram immediately. They played Alex Newhook immediately. They played Conor Timmins in his 2nd pro season.

The Avs have wanted Oskar Olausson to show them he can take the next step for years now. He sucks, so he can't. You guys really think Olausson is impressing so much in camp that he's always riiiiight on the edge of making the squad? The Avs want this guy to show them what he's got but they realize he can't.

If Cal Ritchie is good enough to play, he's going to play with the Avalanche. The only reason the Avs don't embrace a "youth movement" is because their current youth all stink. Foudy, Ivan, Steinburg, Pavel, these guys aren't NHLers and most likely won't ever be.

Sean Behrens is probably going to be given every opportunity to take the 3LD spot next season, too. If the young player is good enough, the young player will play.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs don't spurn kids in favour of vets. They played Cale Makar immediately. They played Bo Byram immediately. They played Alex Newhook immediately. They played Conor Timmins in his 2nd pro season.

The Avs have wanted Oskar Olausson to show them he can take the next step for years now. He sucks, so he can't. You guys really think Olausson is impressing so much in camp that he's always riiiiight on the edge of making the squad? The Avs want this guy to show them what he's got but they realize he can't.

If Cal Ritchie is good enough to play, he's going to play with the Avalanche. The only reason the Avs don't embrace a "youth movement" is because their current youth all stink. Foudy, Ivan, Steinburg, Pavel, these guys aren't NHLers and most likely won't ever be.

Sean Behrens is probably going to be given every opportunity to take the 3LD spot next season, too. If the young player is good enough, the young player will play.
A million times this. The Avs have zero issues playing young guys. Problem is that there barely is anyone capable of anything since they cannot draft.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Sampo f***ing Ranta got his NHL debut in the playoffs for god sake.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

IMO there are four of the current AHL guys that could still make it on the Avs within the next few years and should get call ups in the meantime.

- Foudy - the issue with him is he can't stay healthy.
- Ivan - IMO he has a chance to steal the 4C spot. He took a big step mid season but then hit a wall. He is a Bednar-type player for the 4th line.
- Jedlicky - Another guy that could steal the 4C spot (or a W spot) but he lost a full season so they will probably want him to prove himself in the AHL first but he is also a Bednar-type player.
- Olausson - Until just before he got hurt last season I would have agreed with you but it looks like he was turning a corner finally but then got hurt. He had 9 pts in his last 8 games and was also a lot more engaged. Small sample size though so he will have to show more consistency before the Avs promote him.

The Avs need to save cap space somewhere so I think Ivan will be given a very good look. For the same reason, I also agree with you on Ritchie and Behrens. It might be more difficult for Behrens because who then plays 3RW. I doubt the Avs would go with a Behrens-Malinski 3rd pair to start the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: LTCPain75

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
IMO there are four of the current AHL guys that could still make it on the Avs within the next few years and should get call ups in the meantime.

- Foudy - the issue with him is he can't stay healthy.
- Ivan - IMO he has a chance to steal the 4C spot. He took a big step mid season but then hit a wall. He is a Bednar-type player for the 4th line.
- Jedlicky - Another guy that could steal the 4C spot (or a W spot) but he lost a full season so they will probably want him to prove himself in the AHL first but he is also a Bednar-type player.
- Olausson - Until just before he got hurt last season I would have agreed with you but it looks like he was turning a corner finally but then got hurt. He had 9 pts in his last 8 games and was also a lot more engaged. Small sample size though so he will have to show more consistency before the Avs promote him.

The Avs need to save cap space somewhere so I think Ivan will be given a very good look. For the same reason, I also agree with you on Ritchie and Behrens. It might be more difficult for Behrens because who then plays 3RW. I doubt the Avs would go with a Behrens-Malinski 3rd pair to start the season.
Agreed with all of this. I think Ivan is a great 4C prospect and should get the spot. Foudy certainly can stick if healthy as well. I doubt Behrens starts the year in the NHL so not going to consider him and Sam together for now but it should be an option. If they can't get a younger version of Jack Johnson to sign for vet minimum salary then it's going to be on the kids to fill that role soon enough.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Bednar's plays them initially sure, but the new kids have very little leash and get benched right away without much of a shot to earn their spot back.
Which young players had Bednar not played that’s gone on to be a mistake? Ranta? Greer? Timmins?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you suck, he won't play you.
This is pretty much it. If you're good enough, you play regardless of age. If you're not, you don't play.

I don't think Ritchie will stick, but it won't be about youth. It'll simply be that he's not ready for the pace and physicality of the NHL in the role he needs to play. If he shows he's ready in camp, he will play.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad