Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Way too many unknowns to even start to speculate one way or another, in my opinion.

This is the summer of Mikko and where all things begin. Did the Avs go far in the playoffs? Was Mikko a big part of that? Did he play his best hockey at the most important time of year?? Was Landeskog able to make a fully successful comeback and can now resume his career?

All of these questions need to be answered before the Avs decide to lock him up to a massive long-term contract that will for sure start with an $11 and could be much, much more than that.
I'm confused... Isn't Mikko already signed through next year?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm confused... Isn't Mikko already signed through next year?
He's going to be in the last year of his contract at $9.25M and then a UFA in the summer of 2025.

The Avs have to make a decision if they want to extend him or not. They are allowed to negotiate an extension when he has 1 year left on his contract.

They can let him play it out and try to re-up him afterwards but if he walks and signs with another team - they get nothing like when Paul Stastny left.

So usually with big name talents, teams like to get extensions done early - so they have some sort of cost certainty and won't risk losing the player for nothing.

We'll see how it goes but my personal take on it is that if the Avs don't make a deep run OR Mikko isn't a huge part of the playoffs, I'd probably try and move him to another team while he's coming off (likely) back to back 100+ point seasons.

If Landeskog isn't able to come back from his injury, a guy like Brady Tkachuck makes a lot of sense from Ottawa and he's locked in for another 4 years at $8.2M.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He's going to be in the last year of his contract at $9.25M and then a UFA in the summer of 2025.

The Avs have to make a decision if they want to extend him or not. They are allowed to negotiate an extension when he has 1 year left on his contract.

They can let him play it out and try to re-up him afterwards but if he walks and signs with another team - they get nothing like when Paul Stastny left.

So usually with big name talents, teams like to get extensions done early - so they have some sort of cost certainty and won't risk losing the player for nothing.

We'll see how it goes but my personal take on it is that if the Avs don't make a deep run OR Mikko isn't a huge part of the playoffs, I'd probably try and move him to another team while he's coming off (likely) back to back 100+ point seasons.

If Landeskog isn't able to come back from his injury, a guy like Brady Tkachuck makes a lot of sense from Ottawa and he's locked in for another 4 years at $8.2M.
But does Rantanen make a lot of Sens for Ottawa? They've already got Giroux, what more could they possibly want?

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There was a time during his ascent this season where people were characterizing it as a "heater" or a hot streak. Is it finally fair to admit that he the duration of this level of play is more than a hot streak and instead is indicative of what he is as a player?
Absolutely not.....because he is an Avs' prospect.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There was a time during his ascent this season where people were characterizing it as a "heater" or a hot streak. Is it finally fair to admit that he the duration of this level of play is more than a hot streak and instead is indicative of what he is as a player?

No. If anything his play is only further suggesting it was a hot streak. He had 35 points in 15 games during the hot stretch of play.

Since then, he has just 17 points in his last 13 games. Much, much closer to his starting stretch and nowhere near the hot streak.

Absolutely not.....because he is an Avs' prospect.

Or, because it clearly was just a hot streak. His play the last month has been significantly closer to his play to start the year.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
But does Rantanen make a lot of Sens for Ottawa? They've already got Giroux, what more could they possibly want?
Well, let's say 'where there's smoke there's fire' with the rumors of B.Tkachuk wanting out...I don't see them getting a much better return than a guy like Rantanen.

Giroux has 1 more year on his deal and let's just say they haven't been better with him in the lineup than they were without him. They still can't make the playoffs. I called it an 'Iginla-type signing' when it happened and I stand by my assessment... dorion basically made the same mistake we did.

I do think a Rantanen addition makes sense for them as a pure offensive threat to pair with Stutzle. It would be a tricky deal to make though because there's probably no-way they are making another Debrincat add where they trade a guy with minimal term left with the hope that they can sign him long-term but it's not impossible either.

Like I said, there are lot of questions for right now but after the playoffs, a lot of those will be answered.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Before I get crucified, let me say that I think Mikko is one of the best snipers in the league. I also think he is a criminally underrated passer. If these were the Pierre LaCroix days, I'd be all in on signing him - even at Mac money. But this is the cap era.

Let's take the hypothetical of a Brady for Mikko trade. There is a minimum of $3M difference between Brady's $8.25, and Mikko's likely demand. That, alone, gives you enough to pay Drouin $4M x 4 or maybe even 6 years. So that is 2 Top 6 players for the price of one.

Does anyone know Mikko's 9 team no-trade list? Perhaps the Avs could do a sign and trade, allowing Mikko to add the 8th year? As was the case with Byram, I don't hate Mikko, but there might be a better fit. The salary cap makes it hard to carry 3 superstars. The Avs got one cup, largely because the best player in the world was playing for $6.3M. I don't see any hardware in Toronto, Edmonton or Boston, all of whom tried 3 stars and fell short because of lousy depth. If CMac can move Mikko and it results in plenty of money for Mitts, Drouin and Walker, I would be ecstatic.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well, let's say 'where there's smoke there's fire' with the rumors of B.Tkachuk wanting out...I don't see them getting a much better return than a guy like Rantanen.

Giroux has 1 more year on his deal and let's just say they haven't been better with him in the lineup than they were without him. They still can't make the playoffs. I called it an 'Iginla-type signing' when it happened and I stand by my assessment... dorion basically made the same mistake we did.

I do think a Rantanen addition makes sense for them as a pure offensive threat to pair with Stutzle. It would be a tricky deal to make though because there's probably no-way they are making another Debrincat add where they trade a guy with minimal term left with the hope that they can sign him long-term but it's not impossible either.

Like I said, there are lot of questions for right now but after the playoffs, a lot of those will be answered.
Oh, I don't doubt Tkachuk wanting out. Players have been wanting out of Ottawa since before Duchene was a glint in his old man's eye.

I just think that if I was Staios and was being forced into moving Tkachuk, I'd honestly try to land the best possible dman I could. I like Sanderson a lot and Artem Zub is really good. But after that top pair, man it's Thomas Chabot bad and then gets worse. Travis Hamonic is the proud owner of a -5 Offensive Rating and a -12 Defensive Rating according to Dom. Maybe it's Jacques Martin's coaching, but it doesn't seem like anyone on the team knows how to play defense.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
No. If anything his play is only further suggesting it was a hot streak. He had 35 points in 15 games during the hot stretch of play.

Since then, he has just 17 points in his last 13 games. Much, much closer to his starting stretch and nowhere near the hot streak.

Or, because it clearly was just a hot streak. His play the last month has been significantly closer to his play to start the year.
He has 12 points in his last 6 games, so it seems like he’s heating up again.

I guess the Avs should have just shipped MacK/Makar off after their recent cold streaks too.

Cold streaks happen all the time to the best players in the world in their primes, so it’s extremely delusional to think that a prospect that just recently turned 19 should be the pinnacle of consistency.

Is 17 points in 13 games even that much of a cold streak?! :laugh:

McDavid had 10 points in his first 11 games this year, but I’m pretty sure nobody thought that he was suddenly below a PPG player.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He has 12 points in his last 6 games, so it seems like he’s heating up again.

I guess the Avs should have just shipped MacK/Makar off after their recent cold streaks too.

Cold streaks happen all the time to the best players in the world in their primes, so it’s extremely delusional to think that a prospect that just recently turned 19 should be the pinnacle of consistency.

Is 17 points in 13 games even that much of a cold streak?! :laugh:

McDavid had 10 points in his first 11 games this year, but I’m pretty sure nobody thought that he was suddenly below a PPG player.

Yeah, this is a reasonable post for sure.

Edit: This entire post is quite literally just making shit up lmao.

Last edited:

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Out of the top 5 scores by PPG in the OHL, Ritchie is doing it with the least amount of help and it isn’t close.

Two of them in Musty and Goyette play on a line together while their other linemate is 6th in the league in PPG.

Cowan plays with the 8th highest PPG player in Barkey.

Rehkopf plays on a stacked Kitchener team.

Ritchie is having an extremely impressive season and is a massive reason for Oshawa’s surprising success this year.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
And now he is at 12 pts in his last 6 games so maybe that 17 pts in 13 games was his "cold" streak. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: avsfan09

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Yeah, if I am Rantanen, I'd wait a season and see who bids for me rather than sign with Ottawa.

That team or location just doesn't excite you. I mean of course they have potential and long-term they could have a good team but I don't know.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And now he is at 12 pts in his last 6 games so maybe that 17 pts in 13 games was his "cold" streak. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Where did I say anything about a cold streak.

He put up 35 points in 15 games. But outside of that 15 game stretch he's put up 38 points in 30 games. The 15 game stretch was clearly more of a hot streak. Nobody in the league is even close to that kind of production and nobody in the league has produced that rate for a full season in years. It's the very definition of a hot streak.

That doesn't mean he's not still having a great year or that he isn't still a great prospect. But if people have this expectation or belief that he's some 2.33 PPG player simply experiencing a "Cold streak" as you put it right now they're flat out being delusional.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I can almost guarantee Ottawa is one of the 9 teams on Mikko's no-trade list.

Canadian, not Toronto, laughing stock when he signed this new contract, etc.
Can't they submit a new list or is that an exception some have had?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad