Proposal: Avs and Devils

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Make it no condition on the first 1st, conditional 1st in 2021 if aves resign him or win the cup and I’d be cool

Reactions: Steeler23

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Is it me or I feel like Avs would need to part ways with Alex Newhook to get Taylor Hall even as a rental.

Given that prospects like these almost never go for pure rentals, I am pretty sure its just you...

I'd even argue that the Avs need Zadorov who is eating our #1 defensive minutes right now more than they need Hall. That might change once EJ gets back and rebounds from his horrible start to the season but for now I don't think that would be a good idea...

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are getting healthier and will less likely have a need for Hall. Zadorov is playing well and given top minutes. Burakovsky has outscores Hall and played less games. Landy is the Captain and expected return this weekend. Newhook is getting settled into BU and was a Team Canada invite, not likely being moved. AVs are the 3rd highest team with a 1/3 of their players out with injuries.

Hall is struggling along with the team and seemed to have lost a step. Further in the season, they’re less likely to be interested.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Given Hall's availability would this work?

Devils get:
Zadorov
Unprotected conditional first depending on Hall re-signing
Sampo Ranta

Avs get:
Hall
That's not enough, if the first isn't condition than maybe but if he bails the Devils only get Zadorov and Ranta? Pass.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
That's not enough, if the first isn't condition than maybe but if he bails the Devils only get Zadorov and Ranta? Pass.

And Colorado gets nothing lmao. Not to say there aren’t better options out there or even better trades from a Colorado perspective. NJ wants assets for an expiring contract and there’s a good chance the return is underwhelming if there’s no contract in place, especially with Hall’s injury history.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
Probably fair value, but would probably be topped. This is what I was thinking, even though it'd probably be a mistake for the Avs:

Timmins
Bowers
3rd
(Conditional 1st if he re-signs)

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d love me some Zadorov as a devils fan .
We have zero D like him and have a huge need for the way he plays.
Obviously would prefer Timmins but might be hard to pry him away.
Same as Newhook .
Any way Hall plus ?? prospect or roster player like Boqvist would work for Zadorov and Newhook ?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Same as Newhook .
Any way Hall plus ?? prospect or roster player like Boqvist would work for Zadorov and Newhook ?
Devils aren’t adding to Hall let alone adding one of their only good prospects to a trade for... prospects

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Same as Newhook .

I don't think adding anything significant to Hall from the Devils make much sense in a deal like that unless we are talking a guy like Severson which turns the deal into a complete mess to figure out overall and very unrealistic.

Avs already have a ton of forward depth this season and IMO right now can't even afford to trade Zadorov. Bednar is using him to shut down the McDavids and Kanes off the world currently given that EJ is out week to week. And honestly the Avs have been a better team since then because EJ really hasn't been good at all lately and Z has been great since EJ is out.

I always thought that Zads had no real future with the Avs but given what has happened over the last 2 weeks, I am not so sure about it anymore.
We will see how Sakic feels about it but if he really wants to go for it this season, trading Z without having a follow up move lined up to bolster our D seems a bit counterproductive to me. IMO even after adding Hall they would be a weaker team because it would force us to overplay the likes of Ian Cole and Ryan Graves which has the potential to get ugly quick.

Sakic also loves Newhook. Again odds are high that I will really hate the deal and that Sakic will give up something good but I can't see him weakening our current roster AND touching one of our top3 prospects unless Hall comes with a very managable extension which seems very unlikely at this point. I think the Avs will probably rather put the 2020 1st and a conditional 2021 1st (if he re-signs) on the table and then see what has to be added from there to make it work.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I know devils fans have asked unfair returns (timmins and Newhook ) but to say Hall is not needed because of Burakovsky is outplaying Hall in a 25 game span is pretty short sighted .
I know I’m using an over the top extreme but it’s like refusing Gaudreau for Blake Coleman because Coleman has more goals this year.....
Yes the Avs are scoring at an impressive rate in spite of injuries to key players but adding a mvp winner from two seasons ago cannot be disputed as being a huge boost come playoff time when goals are harder to come by . Have two dynamic lines would slot players down a line and create defensive matchup nightmares for opposing teams .
To say that a team does not “need”a player like Hall is a little silly .
I agree that giving up a huge amount of assets for him is not wise but the intire purpose of playing is to win the Cup and adding Hall to the avs would certainly help to that more so than having shiny prospects waiting in the AHL.
I know that cap issues will arise and will need to rely on entry level contracts to fill the roster and the better the entry level players are the better the team will be . However at some point you have to deal from a point of strength to address a point of “weakness”
In this case it’s dealing from a strength to go from very good - top of the league in depth scoring .
Taking away a D like Zadorov (who might have to be sacrificed to Seattle anyways ) and a player like Newhook is in my opinion something the Avs can afford to give up and maintain a very high level of a very well balanced roster

Reactions: Ivan13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad