Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 2, Avs lead series 2 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
All of a sudden mods are cracking down on off topic posts in here, just like the refs starting calling everything in the Jets out of the blue on the third period last night (that statement makes this post ON TOPIC)

Let something go all season long then start calling it in the playoffs (I mean the refs, of course)
Good point about the refs, but they don't call everything. Sipz post about the governor of SD is allowed but a mention of Dalhousie U is not. It's okay to talk about the Smithsonian in here but not about someone saying how great their wife is. The refs are totally inconsistent in the way they call a game.

So this Babylonian Babe is signing off for the night; if anyone wants me, I'll be hanging out in the garden.

PS: Go Jets Go!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Good point about the refs, but they don't call everything. Sipz post about the governor of SD is allowed but a mention of Dalhousie U is not. It's okay to talk about the Smithsonian in here but not about someone saying how great their wife is. The refs are totally inconsistent in the way they call a game.

So this Babylonian Babe is signing off for the night; if anyone wants me, I'll be hanging out in the garden.

PS: Go Jets Go!
I see what you did there!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There is but one reason the Avalanche are running our show:

Their players are playing to the peak of their abilities, and ours are not.

It's all up to Bones now. Can he find the magic speech that is going to wake these guys up?

It's pretty much a repeat of last seasons playoffs. I think we can safely say that the theory that we fell apart last season was the loss of 55 and 44 is false.

I have zero faith these guys will figure it out.

It's a bitter disappointment. Time to remake this team and find a new coaching staff.

I'm all in for taking a step back to reload with some younger players. I know the org won't do it but this core just ain't it.
Sad but true

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I can’t remember a single time we dumped it in and ended up with possession. Every Jet skates up to within about 10 feet of the puck and then coasts in and waves their stick. Why not take one or two more good strides and fight for the puck?

I’ve thought quite a bit about it and I can’t blame these performances on any particular player, it’s all of them. They just aren’t driven enough to leave it all on the ice. Lowry comes close as does names. But even they can’t match the intensity and drive of even the lesser Avs.

Also watch when we get possession in the o zone, and see if there is anyone causing chaos in front of the net. Mostly they are all on the perimeter.

When was the last time anyone drove to the net? We stop on the boards and wait for the D and then play it back to them. They usually shoot it into a corner and we lose possession.

I don’t understand why we do these things. They aren’t rocket science. Others who have said it above are right, the Avs started playing playoff hockey and we think we can play like the regular season.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Good post - at least IMO.
The only way the Jets have a chance against a team that has more talent, is to out work them - and they are not. They are mainly shell shocked by the Aves speed and skill. The Jets game is all reactionary - and has them running around, chasing. If they don't ramp it up and get on the Aves before they gain our zone, we are done - we don't have the blueline to compete against the Aves.

It was also nice to see a post where the coach isn't blamed for not solving all the problems the Jets are having. It's simple really - the only way the Jets can beat this team, is to out work them - the Aves have ramped up their game and we haven't. The system Bones uses relies on consistent, hard work in all zones - and he's not getting that. If anyone thinks a new system (with our current talent) will be the difference maker against this Aves team, they are dreaming or have an agenda (like getting their player into the lineup). The Aves are a better team than we are - simple as that - you won't beat them by adding anyone on our roster unless the compete level increases (and your 50% rate makes sense). Add marginal talent won't make a difference - the Jets need their team game to show up. Even then, against an Aves team with more skill (who have ramped up their game), we're looking at a long shot unless we leave it all out there and try to frustrate their skill guys.

I agree that making moves that will increase our speed and add hard work to the lineup, are probably the best moves we can make - that might be enough to get the rest of them involved / motivated to get back to what made them successful - it's worth a shot.

Helle at this point is getting killed out there - we are not defending at even close to the level needed to have a chance - and if we expect 37 to save the day, we're dreaming. Not only is it wishful thinking to expect your goaltender to save you when you are being run over, it's not much of a game plan.

The Jets will need to play to their strengths - which is hard work and defensive. Tweaking the lineup of praying for a system that will out skill this team, is not going to happen. Simply stating we need better outlets, or better decision making, or a better PK, or better goaltending, is easy and a waste of time. If they ramp it up to another level, meaning work their asses off, they might have a chance.

And finally, if we take a pile of penalties, we are toast - their skill (especially with the man advantage) is more than we will be able to deal with. The best you can hope for is to take fewer penalties and stem the bleeding.
I wouldn't say they are more skilled top to bottom. They have Makar and Mack double shifting, they're playing full attack and we play right into it.

I think the Jets are the better team (goalies are included in a team), and we need to play a role style game to have success. As does anyone, any team in the league that doesn't play a solid structure will get absolutely torched by Makar and Mack. They feast off open space and we are not nearly hard enough on them. Every single time Makar touches the puck he needs to be finished. Every time Mack has the puck he needs to be finished. We are going to lose if we cant collectively shut down two players

I think the issue that people have with the Vilardi penalty is that the refs didn't see it. They didn't call it. Obviously he sticked the guy and it was bad. But in my 5 decades of watching hockey I've seen countless examples of missed calls. Dude is bleeding all over the ice and bench, but if they didn't see it they didn't see it. This one felt like they made the call based on the evidence on the ice despite not seeing the infraction. Usually if the linesmen are bringing the call to the refs attention it happens quicker. This one seemed like they looked at the puddle of blood and decided they better just call it. And if you're calling it of course it's a double minor.
You're right about that, they didn't call it. It was after the play. I have seen it a few times when the injury is serious they call the interaction after the play.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I was just wondering ... I know players have a routine but are the Jets the only playoff team that none of their games have started at a regular time they are use too?

Reactions: Stumbledore

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
All of a sudden mods are cracking down on off topic posts in here, just like the refs starting calling everything in the Jets out of the blue on the third period last night (that statement makes this post ON TOPIC)

Let something go all season long then start calling it in the playoffs (I mean the refs, of course)

Playoff modding. When the discussion has tapered off it's fine but when people are still actively discussing the game we don't need them to scroll past water cooler gossip.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Cole deserves a chance to play, not like everyone else is playing so good. A cog in the wheel that’s hilarious he’s 22 learning the game with zero quality TOI and even less confidence from his coach. IMHO I’d be gone. Call it a hunch but his 19G + 19A might turn a GM or 2 in his direction
No one deserves to play, you earn it. Has he earned it.... it's not up to you and I to decide. (I'm in your camp on this one but I'm not a decision maker). The NHL is not a development league, it's the show. If only he would be more selfish and shoot more it would probably change his narritive. I'm cheering for him, but he is not the solution.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
A rebuild here would take a decade. Up to each fan if they're fine with that.
Worst case scenario if you get lucky it can be quicker.

We're headed for one for sure if they keep drafting late and they let this group age out.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Playoff modding. When the discussion has tapered off it's fine but when people are still actively discussing the game we don't need them to scroll past water cooler gossip.
Fair enough. Like players and coaches, we appreciate consistency. In a hockey game or season, a call in the first period has to be the same as a call in the third

With the forum, a deleted post in a PGT the playoffs should be a deleted post on a Tuesday in January

Reactions: Stumbledore

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Worst case scenario if you get lucky it can be quicker.

We're headed for one for sure if they keep drafting late and they let this group age out.

Yes, eventually they will be picking top 10 again but top picks don't guarantee anything (Laine) and that luck to make it quicker needs to be in the quality of the draft classes, the lottery draw, getting a well rounded team because they can't take all forwards given this team can't augment a younger group with FA additions.

Fair enough. Like players and coaches, we appreciate consistency. In a hockey game or season, a call in the first period has to be the same as a call in the third

With the forum, a deleted post in a PGT the playoffs should be a deleted post on a Tuesday in January

It wasn't much, but I wanted to get a f---ing deletion against Nashville early...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No one deserves to play, you earn it. Has he earned it.... it's not up to you and I to decide. (I'm in your camp on this one but I'm not a decision maker). The NHL is not a development league, it's the show. If only he would be more selfish and shoot more it would probably change his narritive. I'm cheering for him, but he is not the solution.

I mean he scored 19 goals in 71 games. Hard to do that with the minutes he gets if you don't shoot. Also he did shoot quite regularly. He has the 5th most shots per 60 on the team. He takes shots at a greater frequency then Mark Scheifele. Its why icetime plays a big role in total numbers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I wouldn't say they are more skilled top to bottom. They have Makar and Mack double shifting, they're playing full attack and we play right into it.
They have the difference makers. Top to bottom, would could beat them but we'd need to play a style that has some success shutting down their elite's.
Helle could be a difference maker - but he'll need some help. Hope that happens - we can beat these guys if we play the right way and get a better game out of Helle.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
I mean he scored 19 goals in 71 games. Hard to do that with the minutes he gets if you don't shoot. Also he did shoot quite regularly. He has the 5th most shots per 60 on the team. He takes shots at a greater frequency then Mark Scheifele. Its why icetime plays a big role in total numbers.
Well said!!! Do you think his foot speed and size is the reason he's not in the lineup

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

My post about my trip to Washington is still up and running. Must be some selective officiating.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well said!!! Do you think his foot speed and size is the reason he's not in the lineup

I think it's because Bones likes every player to have a set role. Chevy went out and got Bones vets for the role he has Cole in so he's deferring to experience. Even though said experience is letting him down.

Reactions: Hobble and Finster8

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
A rebuild here would take a decade. Up to each fan if they're fine with that.
Same tired response with no actual evidence.... sometimes rebuilds hit, sometimes they don't.

If the jets would have embraced a rebuild when we had our D mass exodus.. we would be in a lot better shape now.

Don't forget that this team was very very close to locking down Ladd and Little for our top six long-term... and that the only reason we have Vilardi today is a lottery win for Laine...

wraithsonwings

Honour The Past
Mar 19, 2019
Winnipeg
Me, after that game:

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad