Nov 24, 2006
Sample sizes.
Regular season from 19/20 to 23/24, minimum 20 games played

GAA of 2.61 which is 18th

SV% of .918 which is 8th

Playoffs from 19/20 to 23/24, minimum 10 games played

GAA of 2.98 which is 25th

SV% of .908 which is 24th

Really not trying to win a battle here or even advocate for LB, but we're being disingenuous if we think that Helle is playing to his regular season standard in the playoffs. If he plays at the level we know he can play at in the regular season, we probably win game 1 convincingly and win game 2 outright. And I am aware that we as a team have not helped him much these last 2 games.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Call him up.

Doesn't this violate HF boards rules?

How does this add to the discussion?

There has to be a higher benchmark for mods- be the example.

It adds zero to this thread but it made me feel better just report it and I will delete it but it made me feel better so my day got off to a good start

There is a lot of stupidity going on in here right now. If you watched the game the biggest issues are our ability to slow down the transition in the neutral zone and not be able to maintain a cycle game for lengths of time. Colorado game plan is pretty simple move the puck with speed. Cycle down low get it back to the point and crowd the net and look for some rebounds.

We haven't be able to turn this series into a slug fest and we have fallen right into the Avs game style and changing goalies etc. isn't going to matter when you allow so many shots, high danger chances and you are constantly on the back foot. We took the lead and killed of that penalty and then invited the Avs to come at us. Its just really bad that we could have killed that game off with some pressure and we decided to sit back and let a team that can skate you in to the ground come at you. Yes that 3rd goal was bad and all but so what? That 4th goal was the back breaker and it should never happen.

Changing your goalie that got you here that you signed for 8 f***ing years and you want to replace him after one game....f*** off already(ps I don't me you but you know what I mean)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It adds zero to this thread but it made me feel better just report it and I will delete it but it made me feel better so my day got off to a good start

There is a lot of stupidity going on in here right now. If you watched the game the biggest issues are our ability to slow down the transition in the neutral zone and not be able to maintain a cycle game for lengths of time. Colorado game plan is pretty simple move the puck with speed. Cycle down low get it back to the point and crowd the net and look for some rebounds.

We haven't be able to turn this series into a slug fest and we have fallen right into the Avs game style and changing goalies etc. isn't going to matter when you allow so many shots, high danger chances and you are constantly on the back foot. We took the lead and killed of that penalty and then invited the Avs to come at us. Its just really bad that we could have killed that game off with some pressure and we decided to sit back and let a team that can skate you in to the ground come at you. Yes that 3rd goal was bad and all but so what? That 4th goal was the back breaker and it should never happen.

Changing your goalie that got you here that you signed for 8 f***ing years and you want to replace him after one game....f*** off already(ps I don't me you but you know what I mean)
That's fair.

I also think the Helle talk is insanity. I about I participated in it a bit but in the light of day you gotta give him a shot to win otherwise why did we resign him.

He has to be better but the list of players in that category is long.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

I am sure that being a mod can be very trying, but why are you so angry and aggressive? Maybe take a breather or smoke a joint or something, I think you're taking life too seriously at the moment.

People are allowed to have different opinions and if making ridiculous "suggestions" is worthy of "f*** off and die" type responses from MODS, then maybe the whole forum should be shut down because wildly varying opinions and crazy hot takes seems to me the main point of a forum like this.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That's fair.

I also think the Helle talk is insanity. I about I participated in it a bit but in the light of day you gotta give him a shot to win otherwise why did we resign him.

He has to be better but the list of players in that category is long.

Yes, objectively it's insanity. But I don't blame people ... emotions are high in this thread, and mods throwing kerosine on that telling people to F off isn't helping. But hot takes are what these fora are for, at least in part.

It's insane but it's insanity with a certain method to it ... the stats match the eye test that Helle has generally not been nearly as good in the playoffs as he is regular season. Is he a playoff choker? I don't know, but I understand people upset at his sub-.900 sv% saying that he is or at least might be.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yes, objectively it's insanity. But I don't blame people ... emotions are high in this thread, and mods throwing kerosine on that telling people to F off isn't helping. But hot takes are what these fora are for, at least in part.

It's insane but it's insanity with a certain method to it ... the stats match the eye test that Helle has generally not been nearly as good in the playoffs as he is regular season. Is he a playoff choker? I don't know, but I understand people upset at his sub-.900 sv% saying that he is or at least might be.
I think the insanity part is suggesting that you take your Vezina winning goalie who you just extended for 7 years and who has shown commitment to the team and the city and sit him after a couple of sub-standard games vs the best offense in the NHL in favour of a career backup (as good as Bro has been)

It's up there with the "I'd put Kyle Connor on the fourth line if I were coach" that was posted a week or two back

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

My personality is aggressive I just tone it down

Reactions: Stumbledore

Grannyjetfan

Dec 19, 2019
I was at the game on Tuesday, what a great atmosphere for the fans and players to play hockey in. Unfortunately the Avs adjusted to win the game and we didn't. I thought to myself how human is MacKinnon and his line play so much for the ice time. I barely saw the 4th line on the ice and was very disappointed on the Monahan line not getting the goals. I really focused on Logan Stanley, wow is he ever slow. Did not like his game at all. I also really thought Helly would go in beast mode and stop every shot on net, but he had a Helly playoff performance.

Onto to Game #3 and lets get playing Jets hockey. Go Jets!!!

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Call him up.

Doesn't this violate HF boards rules?

How does this add to the discussion?

There has to be a higher benchmark for mods- be the example.
If people telling me simply to 'stfu' doesn't violate any rules, I doubt that would.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita

To defend my take, I never said I want to take out CH. I don't. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job of clarifying, which is possible as I don't claim to be a good writer. And the question I posed has been answered enough to gage the opinions people had on the matter. Which is what I wanted, as curiosity was the root of my intentions.

I also make no claims of being intellectually sound or guarantees of knowing what I'm talking about half the time. So were anyone to feel better about their day based on my intelligence level, I'd try not to get too high off it. It's a pretty low bar to hop over.

Nov 24, 2006
To defend my take, I never said I want to take out CH. I don't. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job of clarifying, which is possible as I don't claim to be a good writer. And the question I posed has been answered enough to gage the opinions people had on the matter. Which is what I wanted, as curiosity was the root of my intentions.

I also make no claims of being intellectually sound or guarantees of knowing what I'm talking about half the time. So were anyone to feel better about their day based on my intelligence level, I'd try not to get too high off it. It's a pretty low bar to hop over.
You don't have to defend anything, and certainly not your ability to communicate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Admittedly I have no frame of reference for any of the bubble hockey. Sports were of no interest to me during that time. If he was the catalyst for the sweep against Edmonton, that's excellent. It means he's done it before.

Aside from a shutout against Minnesota in 2018, I genuinely don't remember him stealing games during that run (maybe he did.. I was really drunk at the time). I'm not saying he didn't play well either. How I look back on 17/18 was the Jets were a powerhouse and they had (and still have) a good goaltender. Which resulted in our best postseason ever. I don't consider it to have been on the back of CH's play though and I think all of that can be true.

Maybe I'm wrong, this is only my opinion. Truthfully, most of the time I feel like I don't know js in the grand scheme of things, so don't take my word for it.

I don't expect anything from CH or any pro athlete. He's going to play how he plays and I'm going to root for him.

@Royale With Cheese posted his stats from the last 6 playoff games. To me they aren't great, which I think is fair to say. Of course not all of it falls on him.

I want to clarify for the final time that I am a supporter of CH, think he's a great goaltender and have mucho belief in him. I just don't think he's been as good as he can be - in the playoffs. As it stands right now, I don't know what we'll get from him over the course of 60 mins. I touched on this before game 1 was played. So I'm not saying it because the Jets lost. Nor am I down on the team or CH, looking for a scapegoat or boy to whip.

The best way I can attempt to sum up my thoughts/feelings is: in 2004 when Pedro Martinez took the mound, you knew what you were going to get. When Michael Jordan took to the court in 93, you knew what you were going to get. When Dominik Hasek took the crease in 98, you knew what you were going to get. Yeah these are all HoFers of their respective sport, but that's kind of the point. What separates the best from the rest, to me, is elite performance - consistently. Not that you never have an off night, but it doesn't happen often.

What are we going to get in game 3 from CH? Best case we'll get a first ballot HoF showing and if we don't, we don't.

Only part of this I disagree with is LB getting the next start. That should still go to CH, undoubtedly. My take yesterday, in this thread, was LB should start game 4 if CH plays poorly on Friday. Not Jets lose but he stops 61 out of 62. I'm talking bad.

What I was trying to express today was my lack of understanding about LB getting a game being a ridiculous notion. Under any circumstance, aside from CH getting hurt. Which I disagree with. I used going down 3-1 as an extreme hypothetical scenario where starting LB would potentially be acceptable. Because at that point, if it's all gone south, what have you got to lose?

It wasn't really meant to be a debate on if CH is a good playoff goalie. It was questioning why you wouldn't put in a backup who played amazing this year, to give the team a chance to win, if you're not getting what you need from your starter? Isn't the playoffs about winning at all costs?

Like you said, nothing wrong with changing the status quo.

@Atoyot posted LB's playoff stats from last year, not great either. But he came back to Winnipeg and found his game. Was stellar in relief almost all season. There was no drop-off filling in for a Vezina candidate, so to me, that speaks volumes. Which again, is why I felt it was worth considering. I wasn't entertaining thoughts of this nature about Big Save Dave last year, let me tell you.

Anyway, I don't have anything else to contribute towards this discussion. Who knows? I certainly don't. I just hope whoever plays gives us the best chance to win and the dudes calling the shots make the right decisions.
17-18 Helle was V good for the most part.
He was superb vs EDM, a 0.950 on 40 shots a game + multiple OT periods. Won us that series.

(from naturalstattrick) Since the WCF run, and this exclude ENGs, PO sv% from goalies appears to be 0.913, Helle is at a 0.909 not a big difference in GA compared to the rest, but helle is usually a goalie that is way beyond the field in the regular season.
IE: 0.921 this year vs a league sv% of 0.900, or by just the PO teams it's a 0.909 (from hockeyref)

They will win or lose with Helle in net, Brossoit has been a good back up but Helle's ceiling should be higher. The team needs to play better in front of him as well, however I'd say compared to his regular season standards he has not been as prolific as of late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
I honestly think we will take both road games. The Jets play too wild and loosy goosy at home in the playoffs.

Reactions: Channelcat

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I honestly think we will take both road games. The Jets play too wild and loosy goosy at home in the playoffs.
The whiteout is great and should continue in perpetuity.......but it certainly doesn't help us win games. The numbers don't lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad