Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 2, Series tied at 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Game score is heavily based on production.

Tofolli has 2 goals in his last 14 playoff games and 7 in his last 36. He certainly hasn't been a high end goal scorer in the playoffs. We didn't need him at the time and it's looking more apparent now. What we needed was a upgrade at RD.
Guess it was more so a it doesn't cost much let's do it

Reactions: Crocket

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yup.

I wasn't able to watch last night's game, but have a few general things to say that are independent of that game. Will start with your comment.

1) Schmidt>Stanley against Colorado--he has the necessary foot speed, lots of playoff experience, can move the puck, and all that will make Samberg better, playing on his natural side and not having to worry about the other guy. And no, I am not going to bring up Heinola--that would be rude :sarcasm:

I think we are stuck with Pionk on the second pair and just have to hope he transforms into good Pionk, which is distinctly possible in a short series.

2) Our big advantage over Colorado is goaltending and we will win and lose with Helle. Playoffs are tiny sample sizes we know all goalies have bad streaks. I'd leave him in and hope he steals a game or two.

3) Speaking small samples, sounds like Ehlers made a mistake and we paid for it. But, like Helle, we can't win without him playing well, we know his impact on games over meaningful stretches, and we have to give both of them the latitude to perform over a longer series of games.

4)With home ice advantage, Colorado is going to try to feast on our slow D and defensively suspect forwards. Despite CS's recent success, I haven't changed my mind about ESV and CMX being a better top 6; in this case, X could be Perfetti or Tofolli, but Perfetti would work better with Connor, IMO. I also know the likelihood of this happening is next to 0, so am prepared for the consequences and fervently hoping to be wrong.
We are absolutely overflowing the ehlers thing... he lost an edge and then just had zero support or awareness from his team mates

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
We are absolutely overflowing the ehlers thing... he lost an edge and then just had zero support or awareness from his team mates

I don't think it's as focused on because it went down for a goal (also Vilardi's lack of awareness didn't help) but my bigger issue with Ehlers on that play wasn't so much that he turned it over, but decided to cut back to the blue line and try to circle around the outside.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think it's as focused on because it went down for a goal (also Vilardi's lack of awareness didn't help) but my bigger issue with Ehlers on that play wasn't so much that he turned it over, but decided to cut back to the blue line and try to circle around the outside.

Yup, he needs to be much more direct. Look a5 Mack.. he plays a very direct game with his speed.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Why de he swim on the ice for 3 seconds. Get the f*** up, man.

Also, it was 4 on 4, that f support isn't present
100%, and sometimes that's the issue with him. He tries to be just a little too cute when he should just do the safe, easy thing. Stick handling on your ass and trying to drag the puck under/behind you? Not the right play

When it works, everyone is like "wow", but that can be what happens when it doesn't. Turnovers and chances going the other way

I think this is also what makes him tough to play with

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Sometimes a cigar is a cigar. We can do the same thing we did with pavs and try and explain away all the goals but the fact the matter is it's not going to get easier. We're not going to be playing Arizona or Calgary. We're going to be playing teams with big gun scorers and scoring chances are going to happen. And yes, sometimes he's going to be able under siege... and if he's going to be a Vezina candidate making Vezina money he's going to have to make hard stops. You dont become Hasek unless you are Hasek.

Reactions: Buffdog

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Agreed he needed to get up, I honestly think he was tripped as well.

Vilardi needed to stay with his man coming out of the box though, that's on him too.
Ehlers wasn't tripped he lost an edge.
Also Vilardi coming out of the box is already 10 ft behind Manson if this happens in the 1st or 3rd period Vilardi is between Manson and Hellebuyck.
Give Avs credit and especially Georgiev. On social media all the Avs fans are giving Georgiev the credit for the win ... Georgiev 1st star, 2nd star 3rd star and Jet fans 4th star for waking Georgiev up.
Series tied 1-1 ... Jets are not down 0-3.

Last edited:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Samberg, Ehlers and Toff have had tough games. I'd bring in Schmidt. Move in Perfetti or move Names up

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

IMG_4024.jpeg

Monahan going to the bench for a change. The whole sequence was a gong show.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
He was pretty deep in the zone when he fell and he maintained control for a couple seconds while on the ice... there's no reason for everyone else to let two passes go clean after that

I guess my point is that focusing on that misses the point of the underlying issues.

View attachment 858903
Monahan going to the bench for a change. The whole sequence was a gong show.
No one talks about what a bad game Monahan had... way too hesitant, not aware of the play and his puck management was just as bad if not worse than Ehlers... it was uncharacteristic.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

I yelled those very words at Ehlers (at the TV) and woke up my wife in another part of the house. Wouldn't getting up quickly be the first response instead of making like a hockey stick-wielding carp (pick your fish) out of water? I've said it many times on this forum (more recently) that I'm a fan but sometimes I just shake my head.

Reactions: Jet

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Two of the 4 scored last night were because of him, and the breakaway by Manson probably should have been stopped. Say what you want, but 10 goals against in two games is not playoff goaltending.

All of their top players are outplaying ours though.

The wandering screw up goal was because of him. But a clear cut breakaway is always tough. Goalie never knows where the guy is going, shooting, deking. Manson made a good play cutting across slightly opening the five hole. Sure on a great day Helly maybe stops it but I don't consider that a soft one. He can be better but he's not why we lost.

We are getting dominated in our zone for too many minutes. Colorado is freakin good and has turned it up another level. Jets need to do the same but not sure the core has it in them.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He was pretty deep in the zone when he fell and he maintained control for a couple seconds while on the ice... there's no reason for everyone else to let two passes go clean after that

I guess my point is that focusing on that misses the point of the underlying issues.

No one talks about what a bad game Monahan had... way too hesitant, not aware of the play and his puck management was just as bad if not worse than Ehlers... it was uncharacteristic.

Yeah, again I don't have as big an issue with the turnover itself as the decision directly prior to it. Going to the outside there allows the Avs more time to set up and reduces your chance of scoring there.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

I was yelling this at the TV. In a high intensity game where Colorado is flying, it was hard to watch Ehlers just sitting there looking for what? The puck? A penalty?

Love Ehlers but sometimes wonder what's going through his head.

Get the f*** up, man!!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah, again I don't have as big an issue with the turnover itself as the decision directly prior to it. Going to the outside there allows the Avs more time to set up and reduces your chance of scoring there.
He'd get criticized just as much if he shot from the slot and Avs got possession for a breakout... to me he looked like he was waiting for someone to break into the slot and pass

Ehlers was also shooting at Georgievs blocked side all night so maybe he was positioning for that

Reactions: Team Bring It
Nov 24, 2006
The wandering screw up goal was because of him. But a clear cut breakaway is always tough. Goalie never knows where the guy is going, shooting, deking. Manson made a good play cutting across slightly opening the five hole. Sure on a great day Helly maybe stops it but I don't consider that a soft one. He can be better but he's not why we lost.

We are getting dominated in our zone for too many minutes. Colorado is freakin good and has turned it up another level. Jets need to do the same but not sure the core has it in them.
Helle is one of our best players year over year, but we need to be honest. He’s killing us when we really need him.

IMG_3462.jpeg

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Wow, reading a good portion of the morning-after-comments in here is like being back in grade 9. On Monday you're my best friend for ever. On Wednesday I hate you and will never call you ever again. Talk about a sudden reversal of affection! Reading many of these comments is like re-reading "Chicken Little" after a couple of decades.

You guys have to relax. The sky is not falling and your heroes are not suddenly trash. We had a great game going and were leading until a good shot from the point was deflected a few feet in front of Helle. We had a tie going until Helle fanned on a clearing pass. It happens. We were down just a goal until a bad change left the guy exiting the penalty box open. It's not the end of the world. Pulling out stats and lines and times and whatever to condemn your favourite player or favourite whipping boy isn't doing anything for your health.

We're now tied 1-1 in our series. The Canucks are tied 1-1. The Leafs are tied 1-1. But their worlds aren't crumbling. We did a poll here recently where the overwhelming majority thought we'd win in 6 games. I'm not great at math but I'm pretty sure that means we expect to lose two games. But when we lose one, most of the boys in here lose their shit. Get a grip, guys!

Believe in our team. Support our team. Maybe take a walk in the sun, or go for a run, or get laid, or something. But what you're doing here isn't healthy. Just my three cents, of course.

And to answer @Adam da bomb from the closed GDT:

Where’s @Inanna with a funny non-hockey comment when it gets repetitive here eesh.

I rarely hang in the GDT once the game starts. Partly because it's not my kind of place, and mostly because I'm watching the game and keeping my laptop closed. Also, I do make lots of hockey comments but it's mostly the non-hockey ones that get remembered. Agree with you about the repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad