Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 2, Series tied at 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I think Georgiev performance (or lack there of) in Game 1 masked a lot of the issues in game one.

Hopefully Bones has some answers because we aren’t gonna win the series playing like this.

Yeah, to me the concern isn’t that we lost game 2. Series tied 1-1 isn’t unusual, looking around the league and looking at history this isn’t “bad”, it’s quite typical. The concern is we got outplayed in both games (and I’d argue severely outplayed in game 1, except for the goaltending mismatch in that game). I expect some lineup tweaks for game 3 - I hope to see Perfetti in the lineup, even if that’s just on the 4th line. If Colorado wants to beat us with the top-heavy line they put out there today (and they can win doing that - they just did), then we will need to tap into the scoring depth that we have. We will need scoring for multiple lines to outscore their top line. Perfetti can help with that. I also hope to see Miller in - sorry to say but Stanley hasn’t looked good at all this series. I was hoping it would work out with Stanley in there, but it’s not working out well.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I would have to agree with this. Helle has not shown he can play well in playoff games at all, so why not start Brossoit ? I like the idea. In my opinion, Helle let in 2 very soft goals, one off the faceoff, and went right thru his pads, and the other he got caught coming out of his net, which he's not very good at.

The other thing I'd change is I'd play Perfetti, over Toffoli. Just by recent memory, Cole has been scoring quite regularly over the last 6-8 games he's played, and I'd say he's been quite hot. Why not play him, as Toffoli looked quite invisible tonight.
I agree on both takes. It is strange that Helly can look so good yet seems to crap the bed in the playoffs.
Toffoli looks like he could use a night off and fresh legs never hurts. I would give Perfetti a chance

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
People living and dying off one game here is hilarious. Breathe people.

Jets will come back strong on the road. The only thing I'm worried about is Bednar is going to put MacKinnon's line vs Scheifele's line at 5 on 5 for the next two games in Denver.
With all due respect it is both games not tonight's. There are patterns developing such as
- 2nd line is awful
-helly is subpar at best
-col speed is killing the Jets
-losing too many board battles
- poor puck mgmt

But a sweep in COl can change it all

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
if he is the the top 10 winger people on here act as if he is then yes, I expect him to be able to win his match up against the avs bottom six no matter what

1st line was the only line to win their match ups game 1 as well...

This matches my eye test as well. I’ve hated the 13-55-81 line all year but there is no question that all three of them have found a new gear in the playoffs. They are the only line consistently sustaining pressure and creating high danger scoring chances.

Love Ehlers but I can’t remember his line sustaining pressure for even 20 seconds through 2 games at 5 on 5. That lines only chances are created by Ehlers alone, on the rush. We need way more from 27-23-73 if we expect to win anything but I’ve seen enough. Perfetti needs to draw in.

Pionk should legit be in the press box. Stan is very bad but Pionk is brutal. Schmidt and Miller should be playing above them.

I’m no goalie whisperer and get as irate as everyone else at playoff Hellebuyck but - big picture - this team has a chance to win a cup with Hellebuyck at his best and zero chance if he’s posting .900 or worse. We need to get back to the super system we played for about 70 games this year - wtf happened to that? We look like the 2013 Leafs giving up 1:30 shifts in our zone and trying to counter attack. If Bones can’t get them playing our game, he’s the one with no push back.

Last edited:

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
I should have wished for more than just more time for the 4th line ( they gave of the first goal, so could have been worse) and for our PK not to let us down.

next game, back to hoping for a ugly (or pretty) win, but a win regardless of how we get it

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Avalanche have a good team, they played well credit to them but we can play much better especially Helly. I would bring in Perfetti but not for Toffoli but for Appleton. Glass half full we absolutely know we can play better and we absolutely have to starting now. I thought after we killed the 4 minute penalty and scored we were on our way but we needed better from Helly, hopefully he's pissed off and turns it around.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets completely outclassed in these two games. Lucky to be tied really. This is the 2nd half Jets that were wildly inconsistent and completely bought-out of whatever they were buying into in the first half of the season.

And when Hellebuyck starts flubbing the puck into automatic goals against, you might as well start booking tee times...
I agree we definitely need to play better and absolutely can but we are now 9-1 in our last 10 games, it's not all Doom and Gloom, yet.:naughty:

Reactions: GNP and egg16

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
If they lose the next game, which I think they will, then this is over in 5 or maybe 6. Last night felt Vegas-familiar.

Reactions: Hobble

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well I predicted this series was going to go 7 games (with us winning) so we have 2 losses to go yet I guess. But, the old Jets would get an OT loss in game 3 and then put up a couple whimpers in games 4 and 5 and be done so I feel like if we lose the next game our goose may be cooked. Show me something different Jets.

If they lose the next game, which I think they will, then this is over in 5 or maybe 6. Last night felt Vegas-familiar.

lol...beat me by seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobble

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm not surprised at the sudden reversal in attitudes and everyone crapping on the goalie and the second line. I am surprised at how little love is being shown for Gus-Gus.

Reactions: Ponds and Buffdog

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island

I'm not surprised at the sudden reversal in attitudes and everyone crapping on the goalie and the second line. I am surprised at how little love is being shown for Gus-Gus.
How could anyone be surprised by the criticism of a goaltender letting in 10 goals in two games? I really like Connor. He seems like an amazing father and a truly decent human being, and frankly, somebody I would love to have lunch with and just pick their brain about life and fatherhood. I would go so far as to say that he could be a real role model as a father and as a person. But he's not being paid millions of dollars to be an awesome human and a great dad. He's being paid millions of dollars to be a vezina goaltender in the playoffs, not just the regular season. Of all the shit that has disappointed me in games one and two, his garbage play is at the top of the list.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
it's 1-1 however i do agree with the criticism on Helle and really since 17-18 he's been rather ordinary in the POs. The expectation/benchmark for him is extremely lofty though given his regular season proficiency (ehlers too deserve a call-out here), however, goal-tending is the Jets' true competitive advantage over most (perhaps all) teams, and really it hasn't shown up yet.

last 3 PO series he has a 0.890, last 4-6 series: 0.908-0.909. need some semblance of the EDM-series level of play.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think you might see some lineup changes for Friday especially if Barron is ready, what does Apples do for this team and how does he stay in the lineup?
I wish Appleton was a main problem for this team but he's way down the list at the moment.

Hellebuyck simply must be better. He's being outdueled by f***ing georgiev.

Ehlers, Toffoli might as well not be dressed.

Stanley and Samberg as a pair are being exposed.

I've liked Schiefele and Connor for better and worse is playing the way he always does. I have liked his involvement in the backcheck.

We need more from Monahan and Vilardi.

The Avs look like they want the puck way more. They look like they have something to prove.

The Jets look like they are scared of that.

I am seriously concerned that the core of this team does not have what it takes to handle the pressure and elevated desperation of the playoffs.

Outside of a handful of players we have an awful lot of passengers and shrinking violets.

This is more than a game 2 first round loss hangover.

If they wilt and lose this series is an existential crisis for this team.

The org. is so loyal that they will simply run this group back and to expect different results with the same result is insanity.

The Stanley Cup is insanely hard to win, and I'm not one to say that if we don't win it we are a failure, but what I won't accept is a group of guys that just lay down every time things get difficult.

Jets better find a way to match the Avalanche intensity and desperation or its going to be a long offseason.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Can they strap Helle to the goal like the Mighty Ducks did with Goldberg? He must have been directly responsible for a half-dozen goals against this year with his shaky puck handling.

(asking for a friend)
Not true. One goal in the regular season and one goal last night.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I'm certainly not blaming the second line's offence on the first line's lack thereof. I'm just pointing out that in order to limit the bleeding caused by having 81-55-13 together (by putting them with 5-4 (which honestly is a mistake, IMO)) and putting your strongest pairing in 44-2 with 62-17-22 to matchup against MacKinnon, you're left with that line being paired with Stanley (who was pretty much just a hitting machine tonight) and Samberg on his offhand.

And then if the puck gets frozen in the OZ, Bowness just throws out his top line instead, or the Lowry line if COL puts out MacKinnon instead - leaving them with only two faceoffs in the offensive zone the entire night? Do we really think Ehlers can make up for the other four players on the ice lack of ability to transition the puck through two bluelines?

Obviously, they didn't create much chances for themselves, either - all I'm saying is that their deployment isn't really ideal. They have no rhythm or flow.

This is good insight.

For all that we complained about Ehlers last night, perhaps he was being asked to do way too much. And, the top line kind of got buried in chances...

Edit that said a lot of Ehlers' decisionmaking was pretty poor imo.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For those curious, the optimal goalie pull time down two is about 5:00, or about 7:00 if you go on a power play. I dream of a day when our coach pulls the goalie there on that PP, but to not do it until under 2m left? Inexcusable. Putting out Lowry over Chef 4 on 4 down by two to Monty Burns-style “play the faceoff percentages”? Inexcusable.

And at the risk of beating a dead horse, I have no idea how much of this with Hellebuyck is ‘choker’ and how much is ‘fatigue’ but why even have an elite backup like LB if you’re just gonna burn out your elite starter before the playoffs?
The problem with pulling Helle early is this team has shown over and over that playing with a man advantage is hardly a guarantee of possession or sustained pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad