GDT: Aves @ Duckes | 8pm MT | The Mother of All Emergency Threads

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm so glad this team has Ryjo and Tatar instead of Compher.
Seriously. I never wanted JTC gone, he is a solid middle 6 player despite what people around here tell you.

Who who's have ever guessed getting rid of a reasonable NHLer, who PKed and could take a faceoff, that was still a decent age. For a washed, slow, coming off major injury guy would be an issue.

Tatar also sucks. Drouin not far behind, but better as of late. But far too many gamble and misses from CMac this offseason.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
This simply isn't fair to 29, he was easily the best forward on the ice driving play pretty much every time he was out there. Had some nice shots, Gibson made some saves.

96 on the other hand has been a 4th line caliber player for a month. He needs to get his shit together.
My frustration is definitely directed mostly at Mikko. The effort he's capable of giving hasn't been there since literally the first game of the season.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was bored and feeling surly after the game. Instead of going to another teams board and getting infracted I decided I would just look up random and stupid stats.

Byram has as many even strength goals as Nuke and Johansen. They've each got 5.

MacDermid (50%) and Cogliano (33.33%) have the highest shooting percentages on the team. Johansen is third at 20.93%. That boy needs to shoot more.

Ross Colton (54) and Miles Wood (44) each have more shots than anyone that's played on our second line this season. RyJo leads that group with 43.

There was some discussion tonight about the high amount of ice time given to our top guys and the potential for burnout if it continues. Here's how things shake out right now:

562:37 - 24:28/GP - 17th in NHL - Makar
547:10 - 23:47/GP - 26th in NHL - Toews
515:22 - 22:24/GP - 51st in NHL - MacKinnon
510:13 - 22:11/GP - 56nd in NHL - Rantanen
469:40 - 20:25/GP - 99th in NHL - Nichushkin

I wish the NHL's website had a way to filter for say the last five games, but over the full season that doesn't look terrible. By the way, the NHL ranking is based on the minutes per game, not the total TOI.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I was bored and feeling surly after the game. Instead of going to another teams board and getting infracted I decided I would just look up random and stupid stats.

Byram has as many even strength goals as Nuke and Johansen. They've each got 5.

MacDermid (50%) and Cogliano (33.33%) have the highest shooting percentages on the team. Johansen is third at 20.93%. That boy needs to shoot more.

Ross Colton (54) and Miles Wood (44) each have more shots than anyone that's played on our second line this season. RyJo leads that group with 43.

There was some discussion tonight about the high amount of ice time given to our top guys and the potential for burnout if it continues. Here's how things shake out right now:

562:37 - 24:28/GP - 17th in NHL - Makar
547:10 - 23:47/GP - 26th in NHL - Toews
515:22 - 22:24/GP - 51st in NHL - MacKinnon
510:13 - 22:11/GP - 56nd in NHL - Rantanen
469:40 - 20:25/GP - 99th in NHL - Nichushkin

I wish the NHL's website had a way to filter for say the last five games, but over the full season that doesn't look terrible. By the way, the NHL ranking is based on the minutes per game, not the total TOI.
If we sort TOI for forwards:

lyOFo0m.png

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Hey Jared, if you could not run our top guys into the ground against a weak team on the first night of a back-to-back, that would be great, thanks.

Reactions: Azrael89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The issue is the cap… Avs spent so much elsewhere they can’t afford to pay market rate for a 2nd line. So they have to take risks, which can just not work sometimes.

I do agree with the idea of not wearing out the top guys though. The Avs can afford to lose games like the last two and still make the playoffs. I’d rather the top guys not be run into the ground.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Rantanten lazyness is really hard to watch this days. I would really like to see Tatar and Drouin with a better center than that non moveable object called Johansen. He' s got to be one of the slowest players in Avs history.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Funny....... I am impressed by the Duck's roster and thought they played pretty darn well. Tremendous scoring, speed, skill and intensity. And their coach has done a darn good job putting it together. Once Gibson woke up, he was unbeatable. These guys are going to be a force to deal with in just one more year.

But sure, let's just blame it all on the Avs and dismiss the team they played against. Typical HF non-objectivity.......

I will admit that MacK is NOT at the top of his game. He stumbles, he fans, he makes terrible decisions (1 on 3?). And Rants is going through one of his periodic slumps. Nuke has been carrying the team with some solid contributions by the 2nd and 3rd tier players (Colton, Drouin, Cogs, RyJo, LOC). But that didn't happen last night so let's just get rid of them all!!! LOL.

Reactions: SB and Azrael89

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Funny....... I am impressed by the Duck's roster and thought they played pretty darn well. Tremendous scoring, speed, skill and intensity. And their coach has done a darn good job putting it together. Once Gibson woke up, he was unbeatable. These guys are going to be a force to deal with in just one more year.

But sure, let's just blame it all on the Avs and dismiss the team they played against. Typical HF non-objectivity.......

I will admit that MacK is NOT at the top of his game. He stumbles, he fans, he makes terrible decisions (1 on 3?). And Rants is going through one of his periodic slumps. Nuke has been carrying the team with some solid contributions by the 2nd and 3rd tier players (Colton, Drouin, Cogs, RyJo, LOC). But that didn't happen last night so let's just get rid of them all!!! LOL.
A lot of blame (rightfully so) being pointed at Bednar and his deployment of forwards.

Only two other forwards played more than 13 minutes last night outside of the top line: Drouin at 14 and Wood at 13.

If Bednar doesn't trust his other three lines in a meaningless game against a below-average team in December, how is he going to possibly guide this team through a playoff grind?

He needs to start giving minutes to these guys. The middle of the season is not about winning at all costs. He needs to find something that works and continue feeding lines 2-4 consistent minutes.

This team is going to be a 1st round exit due to sheer exhaustion if Bednar continues down this path. He did it last season out of necessity with injuries.

He is doing it by choice this season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Rantanten lazyness is really hard to watch this days.
Is he lazy or he's playing too much? I wonder if Rants plays differently when he plays less.

When a line, a backup goalie or a D pairing underperforms Bednar overuses his best players. He's always been like that and he's not going to change.

Since RyJo and Tatar suck the first line is paying the price.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't buy the "the guys play 2 minutes longer than expected each game and that's why they are playing like shit" argument. It just doesn't seem plausible to me.
Maybe it adds up. IDK, I'm not a professional athlete. But they often have a day or two in-between games. They play like shit sometimes because they are human, and we humans have shit days.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Is he lazy or he's playing too much? I wonder if Rants plays differently when he plays less.

When a line, a backup goalie or a D pairing underperforms Bednar overuses his best players. He's always been like that and he's not going to change.

Since RyJo and Tatar suck the first line is paying the price.

I dont know about that. Playing big minutes certainly doesnt help but if that was the case, his game would drop off more by the end of the game and he is sucking from start to finish. Same applies for Mack. He took 2 min shift in OT but he is just mentally off.

I would play Colton's line as the second line. They are the most consistent and are clicking perfectly.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Apparently Colton got a 5k fine for his trip last night. Anyone got a replay of that? I didn't even think anything of that. If anything I thought it was a weak call when I was watching it live so I kind of want to see it again.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Apparently Colton got a 5k fine for his trip last night. Anyone got a replay of that? I didn't even think anything of that. If anything I thought it was a weak call when I was watching it live so I kind of want to see it again.
Twas a bit of a slew foot from my recollection. He came in and gave the back of carlssons skate a boot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad