Movies: Avatar: The Way of Water

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I still have not talked to a single person who has seen this movie. Any discussion I've seen on the internet since it came out has been almost exclusively about the box office return. I'm not sure I've even seen a single Avatar 2 based meme.

I'm not trying to be a hater, I am legitimately confused as to who is actually watching this movie. Apparently numerous times at that?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I still have not talked to a single person who has seen this movie. Any discussion I've seen on the internet since it came out has been almost exclusively about the box office return. I'm not sure I've even seen a single Avatar 2 based meme.

I'm not trying to be a hater, I am legitimately confused as to who is actually watching this movie. Apparently numerous times at that?
And yet I know over a dozen people who have seen it. I have, my parents have, my brother and his wife have, a few buddies and their significant others have...not sure how memes are important...

1677699429805.png

• Haha
Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

This happened with the first movie as well. It made so much at the box office but it's cultural footprint is non-existent. It's a technical achievement and a theatrical experience, i'm assuming the sequel would be a watered down (lol) version of the original.

I did want to see it in theaters but the long run time made me and my friends/wife less eager to get out there and catch it

Reactions: Vaheh and barriers

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

I mean I'm 22, and my entire friend group of similarly aged guys all went and saw it, wasn't able to go with them though

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This happened with the first movie as well. It made so much at the box office but it's cultural footprint is non-existent. It's a technical achievement and a theatrical experience, i'm assuming the sequel would be a watered down (lol) version of the original.

I did want to see it in theaters but the long run time made me and my friends/wife less eager to get out there and catch it

Culturally significant is such an important point.

A bit OT but I went to McDonalds recently with my kids for the first time in years and the paper bags that our orders came in said "Cardi B and Offset's bag" or something to that effect. That's culturally significant but in a bad way, man I surely didn't want that stuff on my kid's bag. It rubbed me the wrong way. It seems that the things that drive American culture nowadays just have low standards.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I mean I'm 22, and my entire friend group of similarly aged guys all went and saw it, wasn't able to go with them though
This is what I'm wondering. Is it a generation that more or less was too young to see the first Avatar going to see this repeatedly? I asked the few young guns I eat lunch with at work and none of them were interested. They all saw Top Gun despite not existing when the first one was made, one of them more than once, Top Gun's numbers make some sense to me, people seemed to be talking about Top Gun for several months and eventually most people I know went to check it out in theatres. Avatar 2 made a billion more dollars though! So far. It's still going!

Maybe some of it had to do with 3D being novel at the time but it really felt like the first one was talked about significantly more. People weren't passionate about it but it came up in conversations inbetween complaining about the weather and clowns stalking people or whatever was going on a decade ago.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw it in the theater.

It was a bit bloated but I still enjoyed it, even though it was basically the same film as the first one.

Reminded me of how I enjoyed Force Awakens as an experience even though it was essentially a re-release of A New Hope.

I'm a parent with a young child but my wife took the kid (she had to close her eyes for the first one because it made her nauseous) and I went out with my Dad, my brother and his daughter.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I had the impression there was a desire/market for a cultural footprint after the first Avatar, but there was no followup to it and James Cameron is no George Lucas.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I was kind of excited to watch this and honestly the CGI alone was worth the cost of the ticket. but the movie was freaking stupid
Why did they just bring back old characters for the sake of bringing back old characters?
the bad guy from the 1st coming back as an Avatar without any memory of what happened and gets fired up on a video he sent himself.

like I understand if he's there take revenge but to hunt them down the whole time where it doesnt really help their overall goal seemed pointless, but the worst part of it all was the talking Whales.

so like can he talk to all animals or is it just whales? and how does one sound spell out a full sentence in subtitles?
AHHHHHHHHH - My family was killed by the sky people
AHHHHHHHHH - Everyone think's it was me and now I'm sad

after the final battle and the ship was sinking where the hell did everyone go? screw these Sully people they are on their OWN.
Id give it a 5/10 pretty meh overall

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was kind of excited to watch this and honestly the CGI alone was worth the cost of the ticket. but the movie was freaking stupid
Why did they just bring back old characters for the sake of bringing back old characters?
the bad guy from the 1st coming back as an Avatar without any memory of what happened and gets fired up on a video he sent himself.

like I understand if he's there take revenge but to hunt them down the whole time where it doesnt really help their overall goal seemed pointless, but the worst part of it all was the talking Whales.

so like can he talk to all animals or is it just whales? and how does one sound spell out a full sentence in subtitles?
AHHHHHHHHH - My family was killed by the sky people
AHHHHHHHHH - Everyone think's it was me and now I'm sad

after the final battle and the ship was sinking where the hell did everyone go? screw these Sully people they are on their OWN.
Id give it a 5/10 pretty meh overall
I'd give it a 5/10, as well. My dad and I both thought "good visuals, bad movie." It was worth watching once on the big screen, but I don't have any desire to watch it again.

Another thing that seemed stupid is that Jake Sully didn't want to endanger his tribe, so he went next door and endangered a different tribe, and didn't realize what he did until the end of the movie.

Also, it made me groan that the Sully teen fell for the other teens' obvious prank of pretending to befriend him in order to betray him.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'd give it a 5/10, as well. My dad and I both thought "good visuals, bad movie." It was worth watching once on the big screen, but I don't have any desire to watch it again.

Another thing is seemed stupid is that Jake Sully didn't want to endanger his tribe, so he went next door and endangered a different tribe, and didn't realize what he did until the end of the movie.

Also, it made me groan that the Sully teen fell for the other teens' obvious prank of pretending to befriend him in order to betray him.
lol sadly Ill be buying it on 4K, I wouldn't mind giving it another shot and its a good movie to show off my sick tv. love 4K too much. but yeah its not anywhere as good as the 1st one
Ill also be waiting for the price of it to go on sale for like 20$ I wont be lining up to pay 30-40$ for it

and yeah its just not as good as James Cameron thinks lol

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
lol sadly Ill be buying it on 4K, I wouldn't mind giving it another shot and its a good movie to show off my sick tv. love 4K too much. but yeah its not anywhere as good as the 1st one
Ill also be waiting for the price of it to go on sale for like 20$ I wont be lining up to pay 30-40$ for it

and yeah its just not as good as James Cameron thinks lol
Yeah, I can see myself possibly using it to experience a new TV and sound system. I did that with Avatar. I didn't like that movie, either, but it was the first Blu-ray that I bought.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I finally got around to watching this movie.

As others have pointed out it's way too long and pretty much the same plot as the first film.

What really struck me was the lack of diversity in the human aggressors.

It was one Asian female, two Caucasian females and the rest were all Caucasian males.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad