OT: Avalounge: What happens in Vegas...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll watch sometimes if me and the missus are over at the in-laws, her father is an avid golf nut (pretty damn good player to boot) so he has a good understanding of what's going on. But apart from Chantel McCabe and Paige Spiranac I don't have much of an interest in golf.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I have an issue with this thread title.

Every time I read "I'm feeling snacky", I hear that song "Cuz I'm Happy' (Shut up. I know that's not what it's called. You know the song), and I hear "Cuz I'm Snacky..."

You got it Bubba.

Been out of the loop for a few days. Chilling in the Bay Area right now. After a day of beaching and hiking around redwoods I kind of get it. California isn't so bad, outside of the ludicrous amount of people.

member 116861

You got it Bubba.

Been out of the loop for a few days. Chilling in the Bay Area right now. After a day of beaching and hiking around redwoods I kind of get it. California isn't so bad, outside of the ludicrous amount of people.

California is the GOAT AINEC

I wish I was American so I could move to California

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Really? I guess it depends where given how big Cali is. I can't stand LA, SF is expensive and SD is just about right. I still loved my only trip to Colorado the most of anywhere I've been in the US. NY has been my favorite city. And Indianapolis has been my most underrated trip. Vegas the best entertainment place.

Clainer09

Sep 12, 2012
Prince Edward Island
Hey guys! I'm from Prince Edward Island, Canada and I've been an Avs fan my entire life. I'm FINALLY coming over to Denver for my birthday and I can't wait!! I've got tickets to games on Nov 28th vs Pens and 30th vs Blues. Obviously this will be my first trip to Colorado and I was hoping to get any advice/ideas on the things I definitely must do. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Sports, sightseeing, etc. I'm hoping to get to their practice facility one of the days. Thanks everyone! Can't wait until November!

Reactions: Tweaky and Ivan13

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hey guys! I'm from Prince Edward Island, Canada and I've been an Avs fan my entire life. I'm FINALLY coming over to Denver for my birthday and I can't wait!! I've got tickets to games on Nov 28th vs Pens and 30th vs Blues. Obviously this will be my first trip to Colorado and I was hoping to get any advice/ideas on the things I definitely must do. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Sports, sightseeing, etc. I'm hoping to get to their practice facility one of the days. Thanks everyone! Can't wait until November!

Hitting up Red Rocks is always awesome. I don’t know if there’ll be any shows on those days but at least going up and seeing it is pretty incredible.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I finally had some free time last night and spent like 2 hours modifying NHL 18 rosters, creating dudes, and now have my Avs roster built:

Landeskog(86) - MacKinnon(90) - Rantanen(85)
Kerfoot(81) - Jost(81) - Kaut(79)
Nieto(79) - Soderberg(81) - Comeau(80)
Greer(77) - Bowers(76) - Compher(79)
Bourque(76)/Toninato(76)

Zadorov(83) - Makar(82)
Girard(81) - Timmins(80)
Nemeth(80) - Meloche(78)
Barberio(78)

Varlamov(85)
Grubauer(81)

I had to create Makar/Bowers/Kaut(then modify the real Kaut to never get drafted). I had to adjust ratings for a bunch of players so they aren't like 65 OV. I'm hoping the 3rd and 4th lines flip for my 2018/19 season. Made Makar with Elite potential and both Bowers/Kaut as top 6.

This is the most fun I've had making a team. I pretty much have the future Avs, other than some Russians, on the pro team. Rewarding fantasy level stuff. Will play most of the games and my difficulty is set to All Star, should be challenging but fun to watch the team develop.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Since you live in Vancouver, I get the idea of Cali being GOAT as it's a warmer and more consistent version of Vancouver. However, I hear from all the Californians who moved to the CO since there are a ****ton of them here that the cons outweigh the pros in the state. Shed houses are like 850K, so you gotta be already established in a business around there and if not it's just way too expensive to live if you also include the taxes. And nobody with a right mind would want to live in Bakersfield, so they move.

I suggest that USA NW is way better, but I also understand why you wouldn't care about it since it's very similar to Vancouver.

- Also I wouldn't say that golf is a sport, more like a recreational activity that many people play and enjoy since fat people can become pros.

- Also also cricket is better than baseball.

I need to know what type of person you are, like do you enjoy history? Nature? Beer? I can give you a better answer in what you really like to maximize your trip. First and foremost definitely plan to get a rental car, preferably with all wheel tyres and has 4x4 capability since you'll be going up into the mountains.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I finally had some free time last night and spent like 2 hours modifying NHL 18 rosters, creating dudes, and now have my Avs roster built:

Landeskog(86) - MacKinnon(90) - Rantanen(85)
Kerfoot(81) - Jost(81) - Kaut(79)
Nieto(79) - Soderberg(81) - Comeau(80)
Greer(77) - Bowers(76) - Compher(79)
Bourque(76)/Toninato(76)

Zadorov(83) - Makar(82)
Girard(81) - Timmins(80)
Nemeth(80) - Meloche(78)
Barberio(78)

Varlamov(85)
Grubauer(81)

I had to create Makar/Bowers/Kaut(then modify the real Kaut to never get drafted). I had to adjust ratings for a bunch of players so they aren't like 65 OV. I'm hoping the 3rd and 4th lines flip for my 2018/19 season. Made Makar with Elite potential and both Bowers/Kaut as top 6.

This is the most fun I've had making a team. I pretty much have the future Avs, other than some Russians, on the pro team. Rewarding fantasy level stuff. Will play most of the games and my difficulty is set to All Star, should be challenging but fun to watch the team develop.

I did a similar thing. I didn’t edit Jost at all and he ended up becoming a 91 rated center for my by 2020. I ended up getting Veleno with OTT’s pick and trading Landy(blasphemous I know) for Gaudreau.

So I now have 3 centers 89 rated or higher. Gaudreau at a 92, Rantanen at a 88, Girard somehow popped up to an 89 and I drafted a winger who’s now an 87 going into his D-2 season. Goaltending is a mess though.

Clainer09

Sep 12, 2012
Prince Edward Island
I need to know what type of person you are, like do you enjoy history? Nature? Beer? I can give you a better answer in what you really like to maximize your trip. First and foremost definitely plan to get a rental car, preferably with all wheel tyres and has 4x4 capability since you'll be going up into the mountains.

Very much a nature person! Can't wait to see the mountains, hike, kayak/rafting, etc. Maybe a Broncos game! Being from PEI, I am use to beaches, flat land & then snow for 8 months! :laugh: It will be a welcome adventure!

I love pubs and beer so anything with that involved is guaranteed to be a hit! Big foodie so any suggestions of restaurants to eat at would be appreciated. I'm honestly not sure what else is a must see/do but I'll be planning things over the next few months. Not a history buff by any means so lets just say no to museums :thumbu: How is the driving there? relatively painless? Any suggestions are very much welcomed! Even if anybody just has general info they'd like to share that would make the trip a little easier!! Thanks again :)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very much a nature person! Can't wait to see the mountains, hike, kayak/rafting, etc. Maybe a Broncos game! Being from PEI, I am use to beaches, flat land & then snow for 8 months! :laugh: It will be a welcome adventure!

I love pubs and beer so anything with that involved is guaranteed to be a hit! Big foodie so any suggestions of restaurants to eat at would be appreciated. I'm honestly not sure what else is a must see/do but I'll be planning things over the next few months. Not a history buff by any means so lets just say no to museums :thumbu: How is the driving there? relatively painless? Any suggestions are very much welcomed! Even if anybody just has general info they'd like to share that would make the trip a little easier!! Thanks again :)

Alright buddy. First and foremost the best aspects of Colorado are outside of Denver. That isn't to say that Denver doesn't have things to do, but it's pretty much a drinking town with a wild-west feeling. However, that wild-west has sort of been lost due to all the transplants moving here. There are million pubs and bars in the Denver area so you can definitely bar hop as much as you like - Sodo 151 is a Czech hockey bar so cheque that place out. LoDo is the area where everyone goes in Denver, it has higher-end food, bars, and a lot of things to do in that nature. Also South Broadway around the Denver area is where more and more people are going. They transformed the neighbor around there from something in the 1960's into a more hip and groovy area. Union Station in LoDo has a lot of top restaurants in and around the area (you can take the train - light rail - from DIA to Union Station). Denver's Botanic Garden is quite amazing and during the winter seasons go all out and hang lights. Denver's zoo is also fantastic and do special events during winter. Buckhorn Exchange is one of the definitions of Colorado, so try this place out. It's right outside one of light rail's stations, so it's easy to access without a rental car. Check out all the stops along light rail if you choose not to rent a car, it's the local rail service which goes along the entire Denver Metro area.

If you've ever been to Western and Central Canada, expect a lot of that type of driving. It takes pretty much an average of thirty minutes to go anywhere here. Colorado winters are not that wet or icy, but are extremely dry and can get very cold along the front range. You definitely will not be kayaking or rafting if you plan on coming in November since the mountains are a whole different story (where majority of these activities occur). A lot of scenic mountain roads are closed from November to May due to the impossible snow pact that comes with these storms and colder temperatures. I-70 can also be a mega bitch to try and drive due to all the people going to the ski resort along the weekend.

My recommendation would be to head up to Pagosa Springs or Glenwood Springs and get a nice day or two of mineral hot-springs. Pagosa is five hours from Denver, but is way less touristy, while Glenwood is 3 hours from Denver but is along I-70 which can be jammed as I mentioned before. Glenwood is more touristy, but have a million things to do besides hot-springs. It was voted one of the best mountain towns in Colorado for everything except skiing. Keystone is another place I've really enjoyed at both ends of the season. Keystone is two hours from Denver, is notably a skiing resort, but has a lake which people skate on and play hockey during the winter. Black Hawk is about forty minutes from Denver and is a gambling town, but Cripple Creek is better since the city gives you gambling with an awesome wild-west feel.

I really like Breckenridge as a city which turns into a ski resort during the winter, but it's getting too hipster/smug in the past couple of years. I still have it as a recommendation, still a very cool chill town to walk through and enjoy. The hidden gem of Colorado is Ouray which is 6 to 7 hours from Denver and is called Switzerland of America. The true mountain towns are Telluride and Silverton, but are very far away and almost double to triple in size during the winter months.

Also use trip advisor a lot, don't do it for restaurants per se since it sucks, but I've noticed that a lot of things I liked/experienced tended to be at the higher end of the website. Boulder is pretty close to Denver and is a college town that has a very beautiful main street, but the absolute smugness of the place is unbearable for me. It's filled with smug rich people SUVs', Eco-friendly cars, and coffee shops galore where people with big breads and plaid shirts wearing beanie hats make organic drinks for you. I much prefer you to head to Fort Collins for that fun college town experience, however doesn't have a lot of beautiful scenery. Colorado Springs on the other hand is a very beautiful place where there are many things to do as well (Cheyenne Zoo is very much a hidden gem), but is more of a military city that is quite far from Denver.

As Abusement Park mentioned, Garden of the Gods is something along the ring roads of the Denver-Metro area. It's very, very touristy, but is also a beautiful place so I am not going to say don't go to it or anything like that. I would easily recommend Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, but I have no effin' clue how these places are in the winter since I've never been.

@ASmileyFace @Landeslog Are two other who can absolutely help you for your trip!

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
PEI Eh? I’ll only believe it if your last name begins with Mac/Mc.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What do they do to *******s who yell something out on purpose to mess golfers up?
Pretty sure they send this guy

giphy.gif

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Originally going back to my old summer job in my hometown with a raise+promotion sounded enticing enough, now it's not even close to worth it from all the unnecessary things going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00