GDT: Avalanche vs Stars, Round 2, Game 6, 5/17/24 @8:00PM MNT: I don't wanna golf yet!

Oh I don't know, which one is better?

• Total voters

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
JJ Parise and Cogliano have to be done right?

Not like they're difference makers but 3 guys who are dirt cheap against the cap and bring some leadership and play the right way.

It's harder that it looks to replace veteran leadership.

It would be really nice to get a guy who's a leader in the locker room but also plays a good third line defensive role. Like Lowry on Winnipeg.

Maybe that will be Landy if he can actually handle hard minutes. Wood Colton Landeskog.

With a new head coach who will let them play on the edge and doesn't mind taking a few penalties.
The entire coaching staff needs an overhaul.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I liked Trenin, but we really need legit centers in the bottom 6, not wingers playing center.

Totally agreed. I think the hard part at this time is that you kind of either commit to the core and hope things figure themselves out or you do a hard retool and try to refill the roster with depth. If we retool, I want true centers in all those spots

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
You can’t back what you’re saying. He’s not an elite 3C, he’s just an average 3C… as he is paid to be.
Colton is the 64th highest paid center in the league. There are 32 teams. Technically he's paid as an extremely low end 2C or an extremely high end 3C (one of the best 3Cs in the league).

So I can back what I'm saying. You can't back that he's paid as an average 3C.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Can we please fire Bednar now? He needs a super team to get these guys to the next level. Over works our superstars and can't make any mid game adjustments.

I actually think this current Avs roster with someone like DeBoer would look a lot more dangerous. With the way the Avs are constructed now, you almost need a simpler gameplan that relies on cohesiveness.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Can we please fire Bednar now? He needs a super team to get these guys to the next level. Over works our superstars and can't make any mid game adjustments.
Bednar is just Marc Crawford all over again.

Crawford game plan: Forsberg and Sakic score goals.

Bednar game plan: MacK and Rants score goals.

Throwing elite players onto the ice for 30 minutes a game isn't a system.

If they want another cup they need a huge roster shakeup (which won't happen). So a coaching change is the only chance.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Not gonna happen....... The (unexpected) win in game 5 and game 6's effort going to 2x OT will save Bednar.

And his AC's aren't going anywhere either.

(P.S. I'd love to see a coaching change because I don't think Bednar can/will change his speed/score off the rush strategy. But Jared is here long term until it becomes obvious that MacK has lost his wheels.)

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I just feel a bit lost as a fan, Georgie played solid this series, but I also have no faith in him as a cup winning goalie. I have not trust in Nuke, which sucks as I’m a big fan of what he brings on the ice. I don’t think you can pay Rantanen as a difference maker when he’s progressively demonstrating that he’d rather be a hanger on. We need leadership that MacK will listen to, or we will have to learn to live with pouty MacKinnon. Is Makar even healthy? What do you do with the roster?

It kinda feels like you can see the true contention window closing and you’re just now kind of hoping that everything miraculously goes right for the Avs to have a chance

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
You could tell this series was over the second MacKinnon started pouting while Rants continued with his disappearing act
I don't know how anyone could defend Mikko's effort level this year and the fact that he carried it over into the postseason is simply inexcusable from a guy of his caliber. If that's what he's gonna provide from here on out he needs to be gone this summer.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bednar is just Marc Crawford all over again.

Crawford game plan: Forsberg and Sakic score goals.

Bednar game plan: MacK and Rants score goals.

Throwing elite players onto the ice for 30 minutes a game isn't a system.

If they want another cup they need a huge roster shakeup (which won't happen). So a coaching change is the only chance.
Coaching change won’t help when the Avs are built the way they’re built. We’re not built like Dallas, 4 defensively responsible lines. We’ve alway been built differently. More reliant on top players and offense. Don’t think that’s gonna change. Even all the years we won the cup, we relied on top two lines and star players. Also we’ve always been a team that relied on offense from the D. We need Landy back or if he’s not back, we need to name a captain

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely f***ing not lol
The only real play there is somehow coach swap with the Pens and hope it’s just that Sullivan is past his expiration date with the Pens with a roster that isn’t a playoff team anyways
Sullivan is cooked as a coach.
I just feel a bit lost as a fan, Georgie played solid this series, but I also have no faith in him as a cup winning goalie. I have not trust in Nuke, which sucks as I’m a big fan of what he brings on the ice. I don’t think you can pay Rantanen as a difference maker when he’s progressively demonstrating that he’d rather be a hanger on. We need leadership that MacK will listen to, or we will have to learn to live with pouty MacKinnon. Is Makar even healthy? What do you do with the roster?

It kinda feels like you can see the true contention window closing and you’re just now kind of hoping that everything miraculously goes right for the Avs to have a chance
It seems bleak now, but the glass-half-full guy would say they're getting their captain back, have a chance to infuse the roster with some youth, speed, and skill next season in Behrens, Kovalenko, and potentially Ritchie, they're getting LOC back to help the bottom six tremendously, and Makar can hopefully have a full offseason to heal whatever was nagging him.

Obviously things look a bit bleak right now but the offseason could change things.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
And who exactly do you hire?
I don't give a f***. We can't win with Bednar unless you give him a super team. Might as well roll the dice with someone else. Because this core isn't going to win with him anymore. Hell, they might just be done altogether. We'd basically need someone like Ritchie to become a superstar.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Absolutely f***ing not lol

Sullivan is cooked as a coach.

It seems bleak now, but the glass-half-full guy would say they're getting their captain back, have a chance to infuse the roster with some youth, speed, and skill next season in Behrens, Kovalenko, and potentially Ritchie, they're getting LOC back to help the bottom six tremendously, and Makar can hopefully have a full offseason to heal whatever was nagging him.

Obviously things look a bit bleak right now but the offseason could change things.

There’s a lot of work that needs to be done, and a lot of decisions that I think will really dictate this teams future.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't give a f***. We can't win with Bednar unless you give him a super team. Might as well roll the dice with someone else. Because this core isn't going to win with him anymore. Hell, they might just be done altogether. We'd basically need someone like Ritchie to become a superstar.
This is a weird stance to take.

Look at all the people drooling over Peter DeBoer. How many Stanley Cups exactly does he have?

Look at how highly regarded Mike Babcock was, yet he only won 1 Stanley Cup and it was with a stupidly stacked 2008 Red Wings team.

Coaches need good rosters to win. Find me the last coach to win with a trash roster? They don't exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad