Pre-Game Talk: Avalanche vs Panthers 10/21/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Let's see who Avs dress as a goalie. Maybe Roy suits up one last time.

I'd rather see Roy suit up in our building.

462C7B3E2D741A877D6476E59348A4.jpg

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Re: Avs goaltending, Berra should be good to start, if not it will be rookie Calvin Pickard. The Avs are an odd team, lethal offensively (but haven't got it going yet) but their defense is laughably bad, win or lose Florida will score more than 1. This has been their defense so far:

pk-subban-but.gif

That dman on the back check makes some of Jovo's plays last season look bearable:help:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
That third line is going to make the D pairing work extra hard if they can't keep possession in the offensive zone. Do any of those guys back check?

exactly. switch kopy with flash and then flash with hayes and there you go.

OR;

bergy - barkov - boyes
huby - bjugs - upshall
howden - pirri - jokien
kopecky - macK - thornton
:yo:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I was comparing to Kopecky. Apparently Gallant likes to have an enforcer in the lineup.

The Avs do have Bordeleau.

I'd love to see Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri as a line. That could be lethal. But I think Hayes on that line in Pirri's spot could be pretty good, too. I'm starting to regret the Thornton signing. Nothing against him, I think he does his job fine, but he's just taking a spot away from one of the kids right now.

Yeah but we'll have injuries.

That third line is going to make the D pairing work extra hard if they can't keep possession in the offensive zone. Do any of those guys back check?

Jussi does, he's a good two-way player.

That dman on the back check makes some of Jovo's plays last season look bearable:help:

That's Barrie, good offensive d-man but small and not good defensively. And he's their #3-4. Their defense is pretty bad. I kept saying last season that the Avs' defense was unsustainable.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
The Avs do have Bordeleau.

Yeah but we'll have injuries.

Jussi does, he's a good two-way player.

That's Barrie, good offensive d-man but small and not good defensively. And he's their #3-4. Their defense is pretty bad. I kept saying last season that the Avs' defense was unsustainable.

So...Campbell for MacKinnon? :sarcasm:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Their D was pretty rough last year too. The difference was they had 2 forwards having Selke years. Now they have 1.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Their D was pretty rough last year too. The difference was they had 2 forwards having Selke years. Now they have 1.

They also had an incredible amount of scoring from their defensemen, more than you would expect. That allowed them to win more games than they really should have. They're reverting more back to the mean now.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
"Tomorrow is a new day,'' Barkov said of Tuesday's game. "My season starts tomorrow.''

"I'm just trying to forget those five games and now we've got the 'Killer B' line back and I like that,'' Barkov said.
"I liked playing with Jussi [Jokinen] and Jonathan [Huberdeau] but I thought we played very well together last year. Bergenheim is helping me a lot, so is Boyes. We know each other very well. I think we'll play good.''
Said Gallant: "We're just trying to find some chemistry early in the season and they played well when we made the switch. They looked pretty good.''

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flap...=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#storylink=cpy

The Barkov hype is real.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Just in time for the game tomorrow. They broke out against the Avs last year. Barkov was awesome in that game.

Kuli flipped MacK in front of the home crowd. I hope the cats really bring it again. They should have plenty of room to operate against this defense.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It'd be lovely if Barkov outplays MacKinnon.. Ahh screw it. I don't care what happens, just leave Colorado with a win.

Last edited:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Ok so I've been re-watching highlights from last season cause, well, I'm weird or whatever who cares.

Anyways, I want all of you to click this link: http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20132014,2,60&lang=en and start the video around the 1:20 mark and watch Kris Versteeg's "defense" on the side boards. Can't believe we actually convinced a team to give something up for his :laugh:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Ok so I've been re-watching highlights from last season cause, well, I'm weird or whatever who cares.

Anyways, I want all of you to click this link: http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20132014,2,60&lang=en and start the video around the 1:20 mark and watch Kris Versteeg's "defense" on the side boards. Can't believe we actually convinced a team to give something up for his :laugh:

well versteeg is not on the team anymore and we acually have a good defense this year so it's quite different conditions now.

super offensive avs vs. super defensive panthers

Panthers607

Great to see the B's back together.
Somehow I see us winning this game. 3-2 Cats.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Since PR is on vacation and nobody has signed up to do the GDT yet, anyone interested?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
We got it, you think Gallant is an idiot and you hate his system. Now moving on...

I never said HE was an idiot but the system in place is certainly idiotic considering types of players on the roster. If we continue to produce one goal per game, then hopefully he might reconsider his approach on offense. Our success depends on how long he's going to try and play this card and how much of the season gets sacrificed before he realizes it's not working.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I never said HE was an idiot but the system in place is certainly idiotic considering types of players on the roster. If we continue to produce one goal per game, then hopefully he might reconsider his approach on offense. Our success depends on how long he's going to try and play this card and how much of the season gets sacrificed before he realizes it's not working.

I agree to an extent.

The whole dump and chase method is pretty ridiculous, but it also forces the team to play fast and hard. Don't get me wrong, I rather be a puck possession team but you have to see the other side to Gallant's aggressive coaching style. The team defensively has been playing pretty tight and the bodies have been flying. We dump the puck out of our zone, forcing the opposition to skate all the way back, while we either make a fresh line change or reset within our d zone. we also pressure the defense when we dump the puck when entering their zone. With that type of style we make them pay, regardless if the puck is on our stick or theirs, by crashing and banging on the boards.

I would like to see some mixture of this because there are times that the lane is wide open to skate in their zone but instead we dump it. With this mixture it forces the opposition's defensemen to either give us a lane to skate through or pay the price on the boards. I cringe everytime we dump the puck on the pp, we can't be tossing the puck away, i mean come on we have the advantage!

Regardless how you look at it guys, we have new linemates and a new coach who is preaching a completely different style from last year. We have been through many coaching changes, and our top center lines consist of 2 players under the age of 23. The only thing we lack is offense, which to me the forwards are thinking to much. Shoot the puck, brew some chemistry and go out their with more confidence then we will start winning more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad