GDT: Avalanche vs Jets 12/07/23 @ Ball Arena. Flying forward into the unknown! (Emergency GDT)

Who would win in an all out brawl?

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, and this is why I think it's ok for Bednar to set him straight. Fix your own game first, then worry about what others do. But the action itself is not that big of a deal, and I doubt it will cause any stir, also considering that Georgiev made it seem in his post game interview he apologized for the event.
It comes down to the ultimate success of the team. If they go into a slump, it could cascade. I doubt that happens to an extreme degree though. More likely would be George struggling in the playoffs and being one of the reasons they lose and a bit of a rift forming there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly, when I played, most goalies on my team were either crazy, total assholes, or both. The best one I ever played with, I was always on guard whenever he froze the puck because if he even got poked by the opposing players he'd fly into a rage.

I've heard tons of stories in the NHL about guys like Eddie Belfour (someone who knew Manny Fernandez told me he literally didn't make eye contact when they were in the locker room together) and Tom Barrasso, and I probably don't need to mention the antics of one Jordan Binnington. Georgiev obviously isn't quite on that level ability-wise, but his theatrics, whether destroying his stick last year because of a bad turnover, or whacking a rookie defenseman on the leg, doesn't even come close to the shit that's gone down with some of those guys.

My concern isn't Georgiev's attitude--it's well in line with most goalies--it's the fact that he's simply not making the big saves.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
There are posters here who haven't given up on the season yet?

I haven’t really. We knew it was a high risk/high reward situation. Are the Avs going to be a dominant cup team? Nope.

Pretty much every team has flaws this year. Avs will be in that 4-8 range depending on health. Gotta hope for good matchups, bounces to go our way, and that RyJo is able to turn it up a notch come playoff time like he has in the past. The big guns will need to be at there best.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
While the last stretch has been pretty off-putting, people should take a deep breath lol. We are still leading the division for crying out loud.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
While the last stretch has been pretty off-putting, people should take a deep breath lol. We are still leading the division for crying out loud.
How dare you think rationally and not only with emotion.

I find rational thought lends itself to less of a rollercoaster as a fan, fewer ups and downs. It's like an antidepressant in ways, it levels everything out, and maybe because of that, the highs aren't quite as high, but certainly the lows aren't quite as low. But it's exhausting bouncing between fury and elation.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It isn't time to jump from the cliff or anything... and it is far from over. But I personally don't think this matters all that much. It shouldn't be the bar of success for this group. The Avs are in a weak division, have played one of the weaker schedules in the league (most who evaluate it have them between 26-29), and winning the division isn't really the goal. The Avs are scraping by points and wins by pure talent from MacK, Makar, and Rants. Their minutes are unsustainable as they stand now and that can't hold or they will be out in the first round again.

What really matters is how they will matchup in the playoffs and is a run to the Cup in play. Not the standings today, a month ago, or even in Feb.

How dare you think rationally and not only with emotion.

I find rational thought lends itself to less of a rollercoaster as a fan, fewer ups and downs. It's like an antidepressant in ways, it levels everything out, and maybe because of that, the highs aren't quite as high, but certainly the lows aren't quite as low. But it's exhausting bouncing between fury and elation.
Being critical does not necessarily mean emotional.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I can't believe fans of a team with Nathan MacKinnon, who has a record of shooting slappers at rookies in practice for making shitty passes, are making such a big issue out of this. Yes, I would probably address it as well if I was Bednar, just for the simple fact that Georgiev himself hasn't been that great this season either. When you are back being better than average goalie stats wise (because that's what playing behind this team should allow a goalie to do), then you can maybe went your frustration sometimes if you feel a teammate is hampering your ability to make a save. With MacKinnon people are giving him all the leeway because he's so good. Georgiev hasn't earned that leeway yet this season, but let's not act like this is going to be a massive issue in the room. A lot of us have moody co-workers. Maybe you will witness a temper tantrum every once in a while, you roll your eyes at such behaviour, then you forget about it and continue as things were.
I didn't notice it when I watched the game. I read the last few pages of this thread and my heart sank. Then I saw a video on the main board and burst out laughing. I know this board enjoys blowing miniscule things out of proportion (and I know there's a potentially concerning track record here with Georgiev (and I know Georgiev isn't very good (at least not good enough to get away with this sort of thing))) but come on.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Do you guys even listen to yourselves complaining?

Everyone here - and likely the Avs FO - felt that Georgiev had the skills to be a starter, and an even below average starter would be fine behind this awe-inspiring defense. However....everyone here continually complains about Girard, Byram, Manson, JMFJ and the lack of forwards backchecking. So which is it? Great defense or crap defense?

I've been watching and playing for 50 years, and never have I seen a goalie hung out to dry as often as Georgiev has this season. I honestly cannot think of a game ( even the 8-2 and 6-0 games) where less than 50% of the goals were the fault of shoddy defense or complete brain-fart. I'd also submit that while Georgiev does give up a marshmallow here and there, he is nowhere as bad as Kuemper or Grubauer in that regard.

It was brought up earlier, and my apologies to the poster whom I have forgotten. On a team filled with players screwing up and hamstringing Georgiev, the unparalleled King is Toews. Yesterday's game was downright criminal, but Toews has been the cause of more than a dozen goalie screw-jobs this season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To be fair I've rarely, if ever, seen a defenseman screen his goalie in a way as effective as Malinski did on that goal.

That was a picture perfect screen, a beauty. Even Nuke can't match that level of screening when he does it to other teams goalies.

Reactions: katfude

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be fair I've rarely, if ever, seen a defenseman screen his goalie in a way as effective as Malinski did on that goal.

That was a picture perfect screen, a beauty. Even Nuke can't match that level of screening when he does it to other teams goalies.

Yeah, it was pretty effective--if nothing else Malinski knows not to do that ever again :laugh:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do you guys even listen to yourselves complaining?

Everyone here - and likely the Avs FO - felt that Georgiev had the skills to be a starter, and an even below average starter would be fine behind this awe-inspiring defense. However....everyone here continually complains about Girard, Byram, Manson, JMFJ and the lack of forwards backchecking. So which is it? Great defense or crap defense?

I've been watching and playing for 50 years, and never have I seen a goalie hung out to dry as often as Georgiev has this season. I honestly cannot think of a game ( even the 8-2 and 6-0 games) where less than 50% of the goals were the fault of shoddy defense or complete brain-fart. I'd also submit that while Georgiev does give up a marshmallow here and there, he is nowhere as bad as Kuemper or Grubauer in that regard.

It was brought up earlier, and my apologies to the poster whom I have forgotten. On a team filled with players screwing up and hamstringing Georgiev, the unparalleled King is Toews. Yesterday's game was downright criminal, but Toews has been the cause of more than a dozen goalie screw-jobs this season.
You obviously haven't seen Edmonton at the beginning of this season or a handful of other teams if you think the Avs are hanging Georgiev out to dry worse than anyone else.

Yeah, there have been some inexcusable defensive breakdowns but also, the Avs are something like DEAD LAST in terms of high-danger saves. Obviously context is important here, but simply put, Georgiev and Prosvetov have mostly been adequate at best over the course of this season thus far. There are a ton of players who need to be better, but so do they.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm surprised more people are incensed about the continued power play struggles. About 95% of them likely have to do with the fact that Makar has been gimpy AF all season (which is also the biggest reason the Avs have given up so many goddamned SHGs), and then beyond that Mikko turning into a statue where the play dies on his stick, and then the fact that they simply haven't found a worthwhile bumper (frankly I'd have Nate take on that role temporarily and put someone else in his spot).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
they simply haven't found a worthwhile bumper
You know who was good on the bumper? RyJo. Was a perfect spot for him...big guy, decent hands and didn't have to move so low effort.

I bet that Bednar removed him from the PP purely because he didn't want to reward his 5v5 play with PP time.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You know who was good on the bumper? RyJo. Was a perfect spot for him...big guy, decent hands and didn't have to move so low effort.

I bet that Bednar removed him from the PP purely because he didn't want to reward his 5v5 play with PP time.
Well, I'd say he was decent but I don't know if he was exactly stellar either. There were a lot of muffed passes and fanned shots in addition to the occasional goals.

So far the power play as a whole has been horribly one-dimensional. If they're not scoring off Nuke deflections from Makar point shots, they're just not scoring.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
During especially :laugh:
I normally don't get too emotional but I did the other night. I mean, just such a complete lack of give a f*** from so many players at the same time I found myself actually getting pissed and am sure that came through on some of my posts here.

Reactions: katfude

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I normally don't get too emotional but I did the other night. I mean, just such a complete lack of give a f*** from so many players at the same time I found myself actually getting pissed and am sure that came through on some of my posts here.
I don't blame anybody for that either. Its frustrating AF to watch. Being emotional is human. I'm more just saying being critical of the team is not necessarily tied to emotions. It can go either way. There are valid and rational criticisms to that can be applied without emotions even being a part of it. Just like how emotions can impact certain viewpoints.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Honestly, when I played, most goalies on my team were either crazy, total assholes, or both. The best one I ever played with, I was always on guard whenever he froze the puck because if he even got poked by the opposing players he'd fly into a rage.

I've heard tons of stories in the NHL about guys like Eddie Belfour (someone who knew Manny Fernandez told me he literally didn't make eye contact when they were in the locker room together) and Tom Barrasso, and I probably don't need to mention the antics of one Jordan Binnington. Georgiev obviously isn't quite on that level ability-wise, but his theatrics, whether destroying his stick last year because of a bad turnover, or whacking a rookie defenseman on the leg, doesn't even come close to the shit that's gone down with some of those guys.

My concern isn't Georgiev's attitude--it's well in line with most goalies--it's the fact that he's simply not making the big saves.
While I've heard similar things about goalies and their attitudes, IMO you've got to earn the right to act that way.

George sucks and hasn't won shit, not even 1 lousy playoff series you don't get to act like an arrogant prick unless you actually win something.

How about he stops letting in 1 or 2 soft goals every game. Before taking a whack at guy playing his 4th game for an accidental screen.

George needs to get the f*** out of here. We aren't winning shit with him and crap ass attitude.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Don't care. It's better than having George and his trash attitude.
Jeez, overreact much

I understand this thought, but our opinion doesn't matter... the coaches and teammates' opinions matter. Bednar stated last night it would be address, I'd say that would signal it isn't nothing.

People (including myself) are probably a bit touchy on this given his history. He was not well liked in New York, fought teammates, is clearly not buddies with many of them (I think only Kakko at this point), and was a terrible tandem goalie with Igor. There is simply a history here that we don't want repeating.
Yeah, and all his teammates loved Roy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm surprised more people aren't raising concerns on Toews. He's been under the radar bad so far this year.
Been on his ass since last season. Its only gotten worse since then. His offense has taken a big dip since the run but it was "ok" because he was still reliable defensively. You cant really say that now. I legit get worried when him and Makar are out late in a period and I never felt that way before.

Yah I havent met a normal goalie ever and the one I thought was normal is doing 15 yrs lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad