GDT: Avalanche @ Rangers | December 3rd, 5MT | 80's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You gotta wonder how much of Skilles performance is based on the pressure and desperation if trying to earn s contract and whetherafter he gets one if he'll be able to keep the same level of effort and consistency game in game out. Perhaps but imo I wouldn't give him more than one year and honestly I wouldn't prefer giving him a contract. Make him earn it once again in camp.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You gotta wonder how much of Skilles performance is based on the pressure and desperation if trying to earn s contract and whetherafter he gets one if he'll be able to keep the same level of effort and consistency game in game out. Perhaps but imo I wouldn't give him more than one year and honestly I wouldn't prefer giving him a contract. Make him earn it once again in camp.

hes living out his suitcase and I dont mind that. Stay hungry. This is what Roy should have told Guenin on the bus that one day instead of telling him to get a place lol.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
yes, he had that stretch where he had 1 goal in 22 games ( but got 17 points). 1 goal in his last 8 and the missed the last 11 with knee injury.

i think it's highly likely that he won't maintain this pace. he's shooting at almost 20%. even peak stamkos managed to be that high just once over full season.

Yeah now that you say it I do remember when he had that really long run with no goals.

And yeah, I don't expect him to keep this pace up, but I'm hoping he can keep up enough pace to smash his old single-season goals record. It looks like he shot 13.4% that season, and at his current shot pace, a 13.4 shooting percentage would net him 30 goals, maybe he keeps that shooting% high and pots 35.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah now that you say it I do remember when he had that really long run with no goals.

And yeah, I don't expect him to keep this pace up, but I'm hoping he can keep up enough pace to smash his old single-season goals record. It looks like he shot 13.4% that season, and at his current shot pace, a 13.4 shooting percentage would net him 30 goals, maybe he keeps that shooting% high and pots 35.

that seems reasonable. the more he plays on the wing, the better chance he has to crack it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
hes living out his suitcase and I dont mind that. Stay hungry. This is what Roy should have told Guenin on the bus that one day instead of telling him to get a place lol.

Agreed. Our management has been too eager to give mediocre players decent contracts based on short sample sizes. In fairness they are learning on the fly and I can't fault them until they continue making the same mistakes.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

There has to be some give and some take. Want to make Skille earn his contract again? Simply give him a 1 year deal, that way he knows his next season will be another contract year. Because if he continues to play this way, some team out there in free agency will snag him for their 4th line if we don't. If he wants to hold out for term, that's fine, let him, I don't have a problem letting him go if he does because 4th liners shouldn't get term. But 4th liners also shouldn't be required to come into training camp without deals and earn one lol

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think Skille is doing much more now than he has ever done before. Seems like the same Skille we used to see. High energy 4th liner who seems to not have that certain "it" that is needed to be much more than a fill in 3rd liner.

If he can keep it up and stay healthy come January, and the Avs gave him a 2-3 year deal I wouldn't worry about it much. I can't imagine he'll earn anything over the "bury" limit on a contract with term

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

He already told Skille to get a place. I don't think these bottom of the lineup guys get that complacent, they are easily sent down still. Guenin's issue isn't effort either, it's talent level.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
There has to be some give and some take. Want to make Skille earn his contract again? Simply give him a 1 year deal, that way he knows his next season will be another contract year. Because if he continues to play this way, some team out there in free agency will snag him for their 4th line if we don't. If he wants to hold out for term, that's fine, let him, I don't have a problem letting him go if he does because 4th liners shouldn't get term. But 4th liners also shouldn't be required to come into training camp without deals and earn one lol

Fourth liners should be easily replaceable within the system or through FA. It's only a few games into the season. Bottom line is wait the season, evaluate because there's plenty of time for him to lose momentum or flame out. I get that it's nice to have a good fourth liner for once but I think Roy and Co have done a good job stocking the system and the extra roster space/space for competition is more important than losing a fourth liner/ albeit one that's performing well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fourth liners should be easily replaceable within the system or through FA. It's only a few games into the season. Bottom line is wait the season, evaluate because there's plenty of time for him to lose momentum or flame out. I get that it's nice to have a good fourth liner for once but I think Roy and Co have done a good job stocking the system and the extra roster space/space for competition is more important than losing a fourth liner/ albeit one that's performing well.

It's just not as simple as we might love to believe though. When was the last time we had a Skill or Wagner type that we liked?

Could be our own fault, but I think these guys are what people are talking about as value versus running pugilists on your fourth line. As of yet there really is not an abundance of them out there to be had IMO.

I say give him term, but make it under the bury limit, and make it 2-way to keep him hungry.

Two years with these types of conditions would be perfect IMO, and I must maintain that I wouldn't do it until the off-season when we've have a full seasons sample size either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad