Avalanche Player Rankings #1

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
But LW even clarified what the polll was: The best player from last year (in essence).

To me that's Varlamov hands down.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's not just about the points. For me he's our most consistent offensive threat. Mix in a good defensive game and you have our top guy.

Varlamov is great, and I love having a franchise goalie, but overall it's a position that's usually overrated a tad.

i think duchene's defense is definitely below average for #1 center. and average at best for top 6 C.

we all love him but he can't make mistakes like in game 7 OT against the wild.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I feel like this thing's slanted from the start with MacKinnon not on the list but Stastny and ROR are on it. Potential or no potential, MacKinnon was an incredibly valuable player to this team last year. Just seems like you're forcing the vote.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I feel like this thing's slanted from the start with MacKinnon not on the list but Stastny and ROR are on it. Potential or no potential, MacKinnon was an incredibly valuable player to this team last year. Just seems like you're forcing the vote.

I only wanted to put 6 names, does it really matter if I put ROR, Stastny or MacKinnon? None of them should win #1 or #2. When the poll drags on, if we spread the votes too far then it will be pointless. Best to keep the list short now and as we finish it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
But LW even clarified what the polll was: The best player from last year (in essence).

To me that's Varlamov hands down.

Ok, the last time we should need to clarify this (and we can restart if people want).

I (personally) wanted the 'best player from last year/best player going into next year'.

Most of the emphasis should be on last year's performances, but if people feel Duchy is simply better than Varly in a head to head comparison, I'm fine with that vote too.

But you guys decide what the best poll is and we can do that. I don't care. I just want a poll which will conclude with "X player is the best player on the Avalanche as voted for by the Avs". That can be Varly because he was a boss last year, that can be Duchy because he's had 1.5 years of elite production. I don't care.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Makes sense to me, it is best player right now, as of today. So it's not skewed too much to past production or future potential but as how they'd take the ice today. Good idea for the poll. Would be nice to have a list to go back to in the future. I assume we'll do the prospect polls after the draft?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hilarous all the poll votes for Duchene. Avs posted a 8-1-1 or something like that record without him. Avs won in the playoffs without him.

Can you say the thing about Varlamov? No you can't, stop focusing on points people.

If those numbers are real, it's still a very small sample size. Over the course of the year they probably would be a 500 club without Duchene.

In any case I actually voted for Varly. He'll be a top 3 goalie, I doubt Duchene/Mack can be a top 5 player among forwards. Varly will be the best player for years to come.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Varlamov was without a doubt our best player last year.

The guy is up for the freakin' Vezina.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Hilarous all the poll votes for Duchene. Avs posted a 8-1-1 or something like that record without him. Avs won in the playoffs without him.

Can you say the thing about Varlamov? No you can't, stop focusing on points people.
This is not for me at least the performance of last season. (Description: "This is a poll designed to determine the best players on the Avalanche heading into next year")
I took into account previous seasons as well.

Varly's 2012-13 season drags him down.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If those numbers are real, it's still a very small sample size. Over the course of the year they probably would be a 500 club without Duchene.

In any case I actually voted for Varly. He'll be a top 3 goalie, I doubt Duchene/Mack can be a top 5 player among forwards. Varly will be the best player for years to come.

I'm curious to know why you feel MacK cannot become a top 5 NHL forward.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:shakehead

The only correct answer is Duchene. He's the catalyst to our offense, he's the #1C on the team, and by far the most consistent scorer we have on this team.

Varly is easily #2, but Duchene is also easily #1.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Varly is easily number one, he carried a below average defense and is a vezina finalist.
Duchene is easily 2, so consistent
3 Johnson
4 landeskog/mackinnon/stastny

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm curious to know why you feel MacK cannot become a top 5 NHL forward.

I just think Crosby,Stamkos,Malkin and Ovy are too good for anyone. Then you have guys like Toews/Kane it's just too much competition. I'd love to see it but I doubt it will happen.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Sample size... Did you see our powerplay with and without Duchene in playoffs? He makes a huge difference. Duchene is the best player we got. Varlamov might be bigger factor, because only one guy can play goaltender, but Duchene is still #1 guy in my books. Might be different after next season, If Varlamov keeps his play up, because goaltender >>> any other position(more important and bigger influence in game)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Duchene
Stastny
Varly

and then it gets really interesting as I wouldn't argue against any of Landy, ROR or EJ taking that 4th spot, but the top 3 are pretty firmly the three I listed for me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Pretty sure the poll is asking who is better, not who is more important to the avs winning, two very different questions with very different answers.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
1-duchene
2-varlamov
3-landeskog
4-o'reilly
5-mackinnon
6-johnson
7-stastny
8-barrie
9-mcginn