Avalanche Player Rankings #1

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
This is a poll designed to determine the best players on the Avalanche heading into next year, not accounting for potential improvement.

All other facets of play are to be taken into consideration that you deem necessary.

I may not always be able to put the poll up in a timely manner, so everyone else is encouraged to join in if they see fit.

Polls will run 3 days or as long as needed to get a clear winner. Posters will vote the next candidate for the poll.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I figure this will be Duchy versus Varly for #1 and MacKinnon for the next up. But the good debates will come.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We can't take into account potential improvement for next season? So basically you want us to choose based on this past season and history? You might as well just do a poll determining who was the best player this past season then.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We can't take into account potential improvement for next season? So basically you want us to choose based on this past season and history? You might as well just do a poll determining who was the best player this past season then.

That's pretty much what it is, but allows for interpretation of players like Tangs and PAP who had some injury trouble and prevents guys like MacKinnon from being ranked on potential.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Dutchy for me. Varly needs to show he's got consistency over a few seasons.
The rest come after these 2.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Dutchy.

He really elevated his game this season and was just shy of a PPG average. He is becoming a dominate player in the offensive zone and started to show great vision this season with setting up teammates. On top of that, his presence on the power play is huge for us and it showed when he returned to the lineup in the playoffs.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I would have voted EJ based on his first half performance, but his second half performance was dragged down by Hejda.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So this is basically heading into next year assuming each more or less performs to their typical capabilities and not forecasting a career year or yet unseen growth.

It's tough for me to compare Varly with a forward but I'm going to choose Duchene. I think he's just getting warmed up in what he can do.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I voted Duchene and not Varly for one reason. Consistency. Duchene has had 4/5 solid years while Varly had his first VERY good year this year.

If Varly continues his play, I would probably pick him since you are only as good as your starting goalie

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
1)Duchene
2)Varly
3)MacKinnon
4)Johnson
5)Landeskog
6)O'Reilly

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Duchene, then varly.

I think IF we keep him pap is going to rebound big time and become a 60-70 point producer.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm going with Duchene.

Next to be added should be Mackinnon, even if we aren't considering potential he's next.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Had to go with Varly. Not counting future performance, I just felt he and Dutch were neck and neck as top players, but Varly had fewer "down" games last year.

I guess MacK should be next on the list, but and under appreciated Jan Hejda gets an honorable mention from me.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If the poll is, in essence, a best player from last year (and then basing that going into this upcoming year) then it has to be Varlamov.

Vezina candidate (and may potentially steal it) and was by and large the the biggest reason the Avalanche finished where they did. He stole us Games 3 & 4 of the playoffs only to have the rest of his team fail to generate any offense at all.

I love Duchene, but to me the answer is clearly Varlamov.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Do I need to make the poll a little more clear or should it be modified in any way? What RL just said is accurate to my intentions. I just didn't want people to rate PAP/Tangs/MacK and others based on their injuries or potential.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Im not allowed to vote, but would go with:

Varly- by far the most important player. We would not have been anywhere close to where we were without him. He 100% earned his Vezina finalist honor. I would like to see another year like this before claiming he is this good, but based on this past year Varly was right there with Duchene and RoR as our best players. Being the most important gives him the edge over those 2.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hilarous all the poll votes for Duchene. Avs posted a 8-1-1 or something like that record without him. Avs won in the playoffs without him.

Can you say the thing about Varlamov? No you can't, stop focusing on points people.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hilarous all the poll votes for Duchene. Avs posted a 8-1-1 or something like that record without him. Avs won in the playoffs without him.

Can you say the thing about Varlamov? No you can't, stop focusing on points people.

It's not just about the points. For me he's our most consistent offensive threat. Mix in a good defensive game and you have our top guy.

Varlamov is great, and I love having a franchise goalie, but overall it's a position that's usually overrated a tad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad