LeBrun: avalanche likely to buy out orpik

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So what's the value of a 50% retained Brooks Orpik?

Obviously you could wait until Joe's buys him out, but he'll probably have other suitors at that point.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Instead of buy out why not pay %50 I am guessing you can at least get a 3rd/4th

Not when Sakic's already informed the whole world that he's gonna buy him out. Might get a 6th, retaining 50%, if someone's really desperate. Don't see it though.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
They traded for him to reach cap floor and would buy him out to save millions of dollars. It makes perfect sense for Avs perspective.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
A defenseman who will focus on defense, contribute little to nothing offensively AND dat veteran leadership tho?? Yzerman is probably licking his lips uncontrollably right now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is Grauber worth that much that Available give a 2nd and take a buyout?

I think the Caps wanted a mid to late first, so getting him for 47th and buying out a guy is a pretty good compromise.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So what's the value of a 50% retained Brooks Orpik?

Obviously you could wait until Joe's buys him out, but he'll probably have other suitors at that point.

He's better than Girardi and Girardi got 3x2 from da savviest GM in da league...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Can the Avalanche trade him back to Washington and retain salary?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems kinda crazy to me. The Avs have boatloads of cap space, and could honestly use a defenceman like Orpik. He's not a top-end guy, but he could play some real minutes for them. Plus, all that leadership and whatnot.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Seems kinda crazy to me. The Avs have boatloads of cap space, and could honestly use a defenceman like Orpik. He's not a top-end guy, but he could play some real minutes for them. Plus, all that leadership and whatnot.

thing is, we absolutely have no need for orpik what so ever. the real minutes need to go to our young guys. happy sakic used our cap space as an asset and essentially paid money on top of the deal to get what was a need.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We prefer to give the roster spot to a younger guy who's currently developing with the young core. We have had horrible experiences in the past with older vets coming from other teams and "leadership".

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We prefer to give the roster spot to a younger guy who's currently developing with the young core. We have had horrible experiences in the past with older vets coming from other teams and "leadership".

Fair enough i guess. If Orpik doesn't want to be there, he's not going to be useful in that regard. Just seems like a situation where the Avs could afford to overpay a guy with some rings who can still play some minutes to be a stabilizing presence alongside a guy like Barrie or Girard or something.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Leadership worked out so well in regards to Iginla, Beauchemin, Stuart etc. The faster he is gone the better.

Reactions: Grigo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Leadership worked out so well in regards to Iginla, Beauchemin, Stuart etc. The faster he is gone the better.

I can see being gunshy after that gamut of failure. But is it a certainty that Orpik will be the same? Certain enough to just buy the guy out before he even puts on an Avs sweater? Is he gonna like...wreck everything?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I can see being gunshy after that gamut of failure. But is it a certainty that Orpik will be the same? Certain enough to just buy the guy out before he even puts on an Avs sweater? Is he gonna like...wreck everything?
He wants to play in the East, the Avs have plenty of good D and have no use for him, he's not pushing any of Barrie, EJ, Girard, Z, Nemeth out if the lineup and they have Barberio, Siemens to lock up the rest of 7 spots, with Timmins and Meloche knocking on the door, and they will probably try to make plays for DeHaan or JC. There are teams that might want or need him, Avs surely aren't one of them.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
I'm guessing he'll end up back on Caps at $1.5mil per for 2 years or so before retiring.

member 116861

He is slow and like 60 years old, I don't see how it would be any different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad