LeBrun: avalanche likely to buy out orpik

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Is Grauber worth that much that Available give a 2nd and take a buyout?

I think Grubauer is certainly worth a 2nd to see if he can become a starter, and Orpik practically means nothing to the Avs here. Rolling in cap space, and the owners are about as hands off as they can come in this league - and they have lots of money.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Instead of buy out why not pay %50 I am guessing you can at least get a 3rd/4th
I think something like this is the most likely scenario. Washington didn't want to retain on Orpik's contract because they're trying to clear cap space. Colorado can retain, so there's a decent chance they end up trading him to someone who thinks Orpik at $2.75-$3.5M for one year is a palatable contract.

Thread title is also misleading. They intend to "trade or buy out" Orpik, not just buy him out.

Reactions: milehigh11

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why wouldn’t they just keep him and have him mentor the young team? Seems unnecessary.

Didn't work so well with Iginla, Beachemin, Stuart, etc. Just let the kids play and grow.

Also no room for him anyways, we already have a similar younger version of him in Nemeth, though not as established/proven as Orpik obviously.

Reactions: MacBradley

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sakic was burned with veterans (Beauchemin, Iginla, Stuart) being bad for Avs. I'm glad he keeps the team young and fast.

Reactions: BrickAHL

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Either way.

He's a one year buyout so it's not like it would be crippling long term or keep him around as a bottom pair for next year.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad