Confirmed with Link: Avalanche extend goaltending coach Jussi Parkkila

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Deserves its own thread. Very, very well deserved. Glad to see he's staying put.
I agree, so here we go

From Baugh article in April:
Avalanche goalies have allowed the sixth fewest goals per game since 2017-18. Detroit and Colorado are the only teams to have five different goalies play 55 or more games in that stretch. Each of those Avalanche goalies — Varlamov, Philipp Grubauer, Pavel Francouz, Darcy Kuemper and Alexandar Georgiev — all had save percentages of at least a .915 under Parkkila. Kuemper, Grubauer and Varlamov all left Colorado after playing their way into lucrative free-agent contracts.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He really has done a good job bringing goalies along the final steps to starters. Seems to help them find some calmness and really refine movements.

I still love watching Frankie do that stutter skate backwards on shootout attempts. Not sure if that is something he always did or if Jussi played a role, but it really appears to work for.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good for Jussi. I had been wondering how long he might stay after Varly left. Seems to get along really well with Joe and has made a home for himself.

giphy.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Most underrated goalie coach in the NHL. I think that there's this semi-correct perception of the Colorado Avalanche that they're an easy team to play behind because of how good they are defensively. That's partially true in that most of the time they are easy to play in front of. The problem is when the Avs break down they break down in a way that's a goalies worse nightmare. It's often chaotic, happens unexpectedly, and there's really no way to predict when it's going to happen whereas other good defensive teams are generally pretty predictable ala Toronto/Carolina. Parkkila has done an amazing job at preparing goalies for the unexpected here leading to a run of Vezina caliber seasons in Grubauer, Kuemper and now Georgiev. Not to mention helping Bernier, Francouz, Hammond, Hutchinson, and Johansson all look various levels of good to fine. Jonas Johansson was proclaimed to be the worst goalie in league history by his own teams beat writer, Parkkila takes him in and turns him into a serviceable no. 3 who looks lined up to be the no. 2 in Tampa for some reason. All that's left for Parkkila to do is turn a goalie prospect into a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad