GDT: Avalanche @ Coyotes - Homecoming

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Started watching 30 seconds ago and already see a goal. Nice to see Rieder finally finish. Always gets good chances with his speed but doesn't convert (or execute ;) ) enough

Mathew Lombardi 2.0?

We have one of the fastest teams in the NHL and play a system that does nothing to take advantage of that. Coach needs to change or we need to change coaches.

This is a myth created by the Coyotes media..ie Tyson Nash. We keep hearing how fast this team is. This just in: Other teams are fast too. Just watch a game not involving the Yotes. Also just in...what do these players have in common: Doan, Hanzal, Vrbata, White, Dauphin, Richardson, Schenn, Connauton, Murphy, Gogo, Strome, McGinn, Stone. What do these players have in common: Reider, Domi, Duclair, Chyc, OEL. So how is this team fast? BTW..the first group will get slower with each game.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Congratulations to:
0point1, Bandit34, Bonsai Tree, CC96, ctwin22, doaner, Ebb, Fathead, Grimes, jacobhockey13, Markham30, moosemeister, Naych_PHX, OriginalJetsCoyotes, RR, Shepard, Snarky Coyote, starman, Ultra Mega Chychrun, _Del_

You win a:
PoHGtVb.jpg

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Only saw like 4 minutes of the game, is the Domi,Hanzal,Vrbata line starting to get chemistry now?

How did Chychrun look on the second line?

Did the other lines look bad enough that Tipp will hopefully change them?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Chychrun is making me eat crow. He seems to be getting better every game. He's only behind OEL and Murphy right now. I'm not sure if that says for his skills or the lack of the rest of the D

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Only saw like 4 minutes of the game, is the Domi,Hanzal,Vrbata line starting to get chemistry now?

I do think the Hanzal line is showing some chemistry now. It's not great, especially on zone entry, but improving overall. They were the only line that consistently generated offense. 13 shots just from that line.

The Martinook at center experiment for game 3 wasn't nearly as good as game 1&2. I think that line needs a better playmaker but there probably isn't a fit for that on the roster so :dunno:

I thought it was Chychrun's least impactful game offensively but he was still relatively steady compared to the rest. My brother was with me and thought his partner Murphy was pretty awful though I didn't notice much one way or the other there.

Just about everyone was fighting it. Passes/dumps too hard or too soft. Passes constantly going into skates, even simple ones. Dvorak looked like his skate got stuck on a bad part of the surface and fell down. Probably his worst game.

KConn seemed really weak on his skates. Also he and Domingue had a hilarious and near disastrous miscommunication with a puck behind the net.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
We're not that fast, at least not yet. Colorado is a faster team. We didn't possess the puck enough. Colorado out muscled us on the boards.

We have fast players in a system built for slow grinders. Some teams have a couple fast guys. We have three ELITE speedsters in Domi, Duke, and Rieder. We then have fast players in Dvo and Nook. We have more speed up front than the vast majority of the league. If you go to other boards when we play, they almost always note how much faster we are.

Our coaches are not coaching a system that can take advantage of that speed.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Mathew Lombardi 2.0?

This is a myth created by the Coyotes media..ie Tyson Nash. We keep hearing how fast this team is. This just in: Other teams are fast too. Just watch a game not involving the Yotes. Also just in...what do these players have in common: Doan, Hanzal, Vrbata, White, Dauphin, Richardson, Schenn, Connauton, Murphy, Gogo, Strome, McGinn, Stone. What do these players have in common: Reider, Domi, Duclair, Chyc, OEL. So how is this team fast? BTW..the first group will get slower with each game.

Unlike many here, I don't come to conclusions based off of what I'm told. I use my eyes and can judge based off watching/playing hockey for a long time. I do not need to be told what speed looks like, whether it goes against or with what the talking heads say. Our team has speed. Now is it being utilized? Not at all.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
The Martinook at center experiment for game 3 wasn't nearly as good as game 1&2. I think that line needs a better playmaker but there probably isn't a fit for that on the roster so :dunno:

Thanks for summarizing. And if that line needs a playmaker, we do have one who has been hot dog duty

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks for summarizing. And if that line needs a playmaker, we do have one who has been hot dog duty

If you had one of the dollar hot dogs (I didn't, but a few people I went with did....:eek:) You'd know that he's at least above hot dog duty.

But more seriously I think Strome with those guys would actually defeat the purpose of that line since he doesn't have the speed. One would have to think he gets in somewhere after this game but who knows.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
If you had one of the dollar hot dogs (I didn't, but a few people I went with did....:eek:) You'd know that he's at least above hot dog duty.

The dollar dogs at the stand by 202 weren't even fit to feed to death row inmates. Burnt "meat" and bread. I'd never seen someone mess up a hot dog, an American essential food, so badly.

A lot of sloppy play tonight. Toward the end of the game they showed more desire and urgency. I know they were trying to make up for being down but they should harness what they displayed in the final minutes and incorporate that into the entire game.

Richardson keeps racking up the points.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

But more seriously I think Strome with those guys would actually defeat the purpose of that line since he doesn't have the speed. One would have to think he gets in somewhere after this game but who knows.

If you swapped out Nook for Strome, that line wouldn't be that fast would it? I didn't think McGinn was fast. And in the preseason it sounded like McGinn and Strome had chemistry.

Then move Nook to wing with Dvorak and Rieder, that line would be quick and defensively responsible. (Tipps new favorite line)

And a Dauphin/Crouse,Richardson, Doan line would be a good shutdown line that could still generate some offense. Doan would also be in a role that is more suited for the current stage of his career..

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Just about everyone was fighting it. Passes/dumps too hard or too soft. Passes constantly going into skates, even simple ones. Dvorak looked like his skate got stuck on a bad part of the surface and fell down.

I saw Dvo stumble at least twice and alot of the same missed passes. I thought it was likely bad ice. Is there usually problems with the ice at Gila? Is it always iced in the winter or do they swap it out for other events?

Recall when Domi (I think) had the puck in the circle and hesitated for a couple of seconds before shooting? Announcer said "if he had gotten that off it would have caught the goalie off guard". I thought that was due to the puck not being ready to shoot because of the ice.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Now that I think about it, we could have had this game with better goaltending. Luis just isn't cutting it. One of the 3 goals was very soft, another was stoppable. He shouldn't have been outplayed by Pickard.

We have had bottom 5 goal tending so far this year. Gogo has been awful so far. Stone is not back in the line up full time yet. Our overall team D has been pretty bad too. We need Gogo to get his game together, Stone back, and better goal tending from LD or Smith, whenever he is back. 3 goals or more every game is killing us.

As a team, we don't play well without the puck. Guys are constantly behind their assignments. Our PP is pretty bad too. Our Pk, thankfully, seems like it is getting better.

Good goal tending would have us with a few more points and great goal tending would have us with 5 or 6 more points. We are just not a cohesive unit yet with all the new players in the line up. The LD/Kconn bobble behind the net is kind of our team right now, plenty of confusion.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My dollar hot dog was fine. No better or worse than at a Cub Scout cook out. I think that the poor taste others were complaining about was no more than the taint of the disappointing play of the team. Had they won 3-1 the dogs would have tasted just fine.

I wonder if we can package Crouse in a trade to get a goalie. I agree with those who think that the team needs time to gel. The only glaring gaffes were by Domingue.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think we will see Strome next game. Dauphin and Dvo did not have their best game. All part of NHL adjustments.

Chychrun is making me eat crow. He seems to be getting better every game. He's only behind OEL and Murphy right now. I'm not sure if that says for his skills or the lack of the rest of the D

If Murphy is going to be our second best Dman, we are in deep deep trouble.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's not entirely on Louie or the goaltending, but these third period back-breaker goals need to stop. That 3rd Avs goal was ridiculous.

Michael Stone's absence throws off the entire D.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
My dollar hot dog was fine. No better or worse than at a Cub Scout cook out. I think that the poor taste others were complaining about was no more than the taint of the disappointing play of the team. Had they won 3-1 the dogs would have tasted just fine.

The encased meat and bun were both burnt. Watching Doan hoist the Stanley Cup wouldn't have made that dog any better but easier to forgive.

I cooked a proper dog in Cub Scouts.

What was being served around 202 was an abomination to classic American cuisine.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If you swapped out Nook for Strome, that line wouldn't be that fast would it? I didn't think McGinn was fast. And in the preseason it sounded like McGinn and Strome had chemistry.

Then move Nook to wing with Dvorak and Rieder, that line would be quick and defensively responsible. (Tipps new favorite line)

And a Dauphin/Crouse,Richardson, Doan line would be a good shutdown line that could still generate some offense. Doan would also be in a role that is more suited for the current stage of his career..

I thought the McGinn, Strome Doan line looked really good in the preseason. Don't know why they wouldn't try that. Could help Doan get going too.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I saw Dvo stumble at least twice and alot of the same missed passes. I thought it was likely bad ice. Is there usually problems with the ice at Gila? Is it always iced in the winter or do they swap it out for other events?

Definitely crossed my mind that the ice wasn't good, though the Coyotes side would likely never say anything about it. And usually the visiting team will only mention it if they lose :P

Not that it's an excuse or anything since both sides had to play on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad