Availability of Hawks Home Games on Cable Television in the 80's and 90's for Their Fans

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone

I've learned a little bit through the years about former owner of the Blackhawks "Dollar" Bill Wirtz and his "passion" for not having Blackhawk home games be televised. With the advent of cable television in the 80's, were fans able to purchase a "premium" type local cable channel (not available through a "basic" cable package) which would allow them to watch the home games? As an aside (if permitted to ask by the Moderators of course) what was the exact reasoning Wirtz wanted to withhold viewing of the home games? Look forward to the feedback as always!-Jim

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Wirtz wanted the fans to fork over their money on tickets to see the game in person. Once fans paid for parking and got into the Stadium (later United Center), they would spend more money on food, drinks, and souvenirs. More money into Wirtz's pocket.

I believe in the early 1990's the Hawks televised some home games. The telecasts were pay per view. For someone who loved money like Wirtz did, it is strange that he couldn't see how televising home games would generate more dollars for him.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I will never understand why an owner wouldn't want to air home games locally, let alone for a really good team.

Like, what's the upside?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Never understood this either. He should've wanted to beam his team all over America if possible. Original 6 franchise, good team, major American city. Why limit the exposure?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Shame too because those Stars/Hawks series were easily some of the bloodiest of the 80's. Right up there if not more so then Quebec/Montreal and Oilers/Flames.

The quality of the hockey outside of Savard making people look stupid was obviously quite a bit lower.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Wirtz was a terrible owner for that team. He set that back for a few yrs. I mean cable was more prevalent back then, great way to grow your fanbase to have home games televised.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Never understood this either. He should've wanted to beam his team all over America if possible. Original 6 franchise, good team, major American city. Why limit the exposure?

Because NHL TV deals are bad (especially at the time) and the league was (is?) gate driven.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad