Rumor: AV to be fired?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
If AV is fired, Gillis needs to go too. He is responsible for creating a team that can't win a playoff game.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I don't mean to be that guy... but this is relevant how?

I'm doubting that article that said Chevy would go after AV, unless he became an assistant coach or something like that... but that's unlikely.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika 5s
Vigneault has been fired, via @LouisJean_TVA. Luongo still has not been traded.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
What article?

I do believe I remember people on here talking about an article (I think it was a Lawless one, don't quote me on that) that said Chevy would go after AV if he got fired.

I thought this was sort of referencing that, because that's the only connection to the Jets I could think, this seemed more suited to the Vancouver forum. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this, just wondering.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I do believe I remember people on here talking about an article (I think it was a Lawless one, don't quote me on that) that said Chevy would go after AV if he got fired.

I thought this was sort of referencing that, because that's the only connection to the Jets I could think, this seemed more suited to the Vancouver forum. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this, just wondering.

I see your point, but Rick Bowness was also fired, so it's clearly Jets related.:nod:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Right now, i Kinda wish noel had been worse.

as in, i don't think he's been bad enough to get fired and have the jets hire AV, but i certainly wouldn't mind the upgrade.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Right now, i Kinda wish noel had been worse.

as in, i don't think he's been bad enough to get fired and have the jets hire AV, but i certainly wouldn't mind the upgrade.

Their line usage is very similar... AV=CN
I don't know enough about systems to comment... AV?CN
Their player usage seems to be definitely tilted one way... AV>CN

Be interesting to see what happens.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm thinking the Jets stand pat with Noel for at least one more year.

Chevy hasn't given him the horses yet, imo, to really see what he can do.

seasontixholder*

Please please bring him back here. At least he showed he can coach at the NHL level. Noel couldn't do it in Columbus. Not too fond of him in Winnipeg either.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Please please bring him back here. At least he showed he can coach at the NHL level. Noel couldn't do it in Columbus. Not too fond of him in Winnipeg either.

Noel did fine as a head coach in Columbus. He went 10-8-0-6 with the Bluejackets or 0.542 after replacing Hitchcock midseason who went 22-27-0-9 or 0.457

seasontixholder*

Noel did fine as a head coach in Columbus. He went 10-8-0-6 with the Bluejackets or 0.542 after replacing Hitchcock midseason who went 22-27-0-9 or 0.457

Is .500 something Noel can brag about? Hitchcock had a bad year too. But Hitch is 10x the coach Noel is including a Stanley cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Their line usage is very similar... AV=CN
I don't know enough about systems to comment... AV?CN
Their player usage seems to be definitely tilted one way... AV>CN

Be interesting to see what happens.

They most certainly are similar. If you think Noel makes strange lineup decisions...AV would be like Claude looking in a mirror. Canucks fans could never figure out why Rome played over Ballard so much back in '11.

He also heavily prefers veterans, "trustworthy" players, etc over young guys. Grabner couldn't get in their lineup for 2 seasons (he was injured on and off as well) and the next season he blew up and scored 40 goals on LI.

AV is far from an awful coach but he literally has the same weaknesses as Claude with less of a track record developing young players in the A. The only things he has on Claude is experience/winning record.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

"Showed he can coach" means...

Win games and go on playoff runs with a top talented team? You bet. But he's never taken an underachiever deep in the post-season either. He's not a bad coach or anything but he's nothing special compared to Noel.

I think you're looking at the two's win% and making an assumption that this former Canucks fan disagrees with.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They most certainly are similar. If you think Noel makes strange lineup decisions...AV would be like Claude looking in a mirror. Canucks fans could never figure out why Rome played over Ballard so much back in '11.

He also heavily prefers veterans, "trustworthy" players, etc over young guys. Grabner couldn't get in their lineup for 2 seasons (he was injured on and off as well) and the next season he blew up and scored 40 goals on LI.

AV is far from an awful coach but he literally has the same weaknesses as Claude with less of a track record developing young players in the A. The only things he has on Claude is experience/winning record.

I'm interested to hear why you'd say that as I quite disagree:

Young players successfully developed and integrated into the lineup in his tenure:

Kesler
Edler
Schneider
Bieska
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows
Hansen
Hodgson to some extent

Thats a number 1 goalie, a two/way number 1 or 2 center, 2 or 3 top 4 defenseman (depending on how you view Tanev) and a couple of 2nd and third line forwards. I'd say he's done quite well at integrating young players over the years.

Last edited:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I'm not a big fan of AV, but he's better than Noel. It won't be long before he's behind another team's bench.

If Noel was let go tomorrow it might be a long wait for him. He'd probably have to back to the AHL, or take up an assistant job somewhere before a bottom feeder will give him another shot.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm interested to hear why you'd say that as I quite disagree:

Young players successfully integrated into the lineup in his tenure:

Kesler
Edler
Schneider
Bieska
Tanev
Raymond
Burrows
Hansen
Hodgson to some extent

Thats a number 1 goalie, a two/way number 1 or 2 center, 2 or 3 top 4 defenseman (depending on how you view Tanev) and a couple of 2nd and third line forwards. I'd say he's done quite well at integrating young players over the years.

Sure man I don't think either are bad coaches with young guys overall. He was familiar with almost all the guys listed from when he was the Moose coach and they all developed well over time. He always trusted young two way guys (all forwards you listed).

His main short comings were:
-In game adjustments when teams countered his strategies
-Playing lesser players that suited his system in certain cases
-Team tended to sit on leads

Strengths
-Disciplined system play consistently
-Always made young guys learn defense to earn minutes first
-Most players improved steadily under his tenure
-Always ran his system to get offense out of his defenseman to cover up for lack of top end forward talent

He doesn't suck at all, just does this all not sound pretty similar to Claude?

It would just be such a sideways move. I've seen him coach both offensively limited and blessed teams in his time there and they always had good regular season showings. Better than Crawford was I thought. Just don't see the point in canning our coach for someone who is not very likely to take us over the top. Different, not sure to be better.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Anyone know how much money AV made compared to CN? Why do I have a feeling they are not on the same pay scale?

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
The problem with waitin a year for a coaching change is that most of the coaches like AV won't be available. Its better to make the change now imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad