OT: Autographs/Hockey Cards Thread

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
photo_2021-11-04_09-41-09.jpg

Bought this off COMC and sent it to SGC mostly just to get cased up. Great grade, especially for a patch card. Had my eye out for a nice Datsyuk auto for a while.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
View attachment 476741

Bought this off COMC and sent it to SGC mostly just to get cased up. Great grade, especially for a patch card. Had my eye out for a nice Datsyuk auto for a while.
That card is nice! I just started using SGC when PSA went insane with the prices and services (I have one still at PSA from before the price change that is still probably several months off). Pretty happy so far with SGC. About to send in another order.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
That card is nice! I just started using SGC when PSA went insane with the prices and services (I have one still at PSA from before the price change that is still probably several months off). Pretty happy so far with SGC. About to send in another order.
Yeah I definitely prefer PSA or BGS slabs but just makes no sense to send them stuff with their prices and turnaround times unless it's high end. SGC has been great, I've done 4 orders and have one more there now.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah I definitely prefer PSA or BGS slabs but just makes no sense to send them stuff with their prices and turnaround times unless it's high end. SGC has been great, I've done 4 orders and have one more there now.
Yeah, I really only collect cards, not really selling them but I like to have them slabbed. I used to always send in one card that I would sell basically to pay for the PSA order and hope for 10. If it came back a 10 I'd sell it, if not it would go in the PC. PSA was always the gold standard for me and the turnaround times weren't an issue when it was affordable. Now that prices have skyrocketed it just doesn't make sense (unless like you said it is something high end). I sent in a 4 card order to SGC just to see how I liked it and honestly I think the slabs are nicer looking and feeling than PSA, especially for newer cards.

I have a Cole Hamels 1/1 auto patch card at PSA right now along with a Giroux FWA patch and some other nice ones.

Last edited:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Prepared a letter for Caps prospect Aliaksei Protas last weekend only for him to get called up Monday. Luckily I made it home in time to pull it out of the mailbox.

Thursday he got sent down again, so I got it mailed out Friday. Friday he was called up again. And now he was sent down again today, lol.

The perils of sending to prospects in the AHL!

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Great mailday with some great notes back from players.

Jackson Hallum c/o Green Bay Gamblers
20211113_131708.jpg

Ronan Seeley c/o Everett Silvertips (seriously, how DID this kid slip to round 7?)
20211113_131727.jpg

Kevin Korchinski c/o Seattle Thunderbirds. I think this is one of my favorites.
20211113_131755.jpg

Owen McLaughlin c/o Sioux City Musketeers
20211113_131819.jpg

I've really been having a blast writing to the junior prospects. Hoping to get some Canadian stamps at some point so I don't have to limit myself to those playing on the handful of American teams.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I like the first ever fan mail comment. I also like that he didn't write over the logo. :laugh:

When I was young my mom worked closely with the Queen's University football team and my favourite player was a wide receiver named Jock Climie. I had the opportunity to play catch with him and run some routes. I even got to wear a game worn jersey of his.

When he graduated, he signed a picture with a very similar note.

He actually went on to have a pretty good CFL career and later was a long time CFL broadcaster.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Great mailday with some great notes back from players.

Jackson Hallum c/o Green Bay Gamblers
View attachment 479807

Ronan Seeley c/o Everett Silvertips (seriously, how DID this kid slip to round 7?)
View attachment 479808

Kevin Korchinski c/o Seattle Thunderbirds. I think this is one of my favorites.
View attachment 479809

Owen McLaughlin c/o Sioux City Musketeers
View attachment 479810

I've really been having a blast writing to the junior prospects. Hoping to get some Canadian stamps at some point so I don't have to limit myself to those playing on the handful of American teams.
Do you write each letter individually or do you have a copy paste one where you change some info up?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Do you write each letter individually or do you have a copy paste one where you change some info up?
I handwrite each one and follow a general formula, but I tailor each one to the player I'm writing to. I start by saying I'm a huge hockey fan and would greatly appreciate it if they'd take the time to sign. Then I talk about some specific things I admire about their game and how I think said skills will be useful in helping them succeed as a pro. Examples, great shot selection, strong positioning that helps them create offensive chances, smart defensively, etc. Then I finish by thanking them for their time and wishing them good luck in their careers, and I request personalization in the PS.

Beyond the general formula I'll personalize it when I can for each player; for example, in my letter to McLaughlin I wrote how it was cool fo see a fellow PA kid succeeding in hockey and how it must've been cool to be drafted by his "hometown" team. For players like Seeley and Conner Roulette, whom I did feel went way later than they should have, I said that 30 teams are going to regret passing on them. Basically, I try to make it more personal than just saying "I think you're a great player," blah blah.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I handwrite each one and follow a general formula, but I tailor each one to the player I'm writing to. I start by saying I'm a huge hockey fan and would greatly appreciate it if they'd take the time to sign. Then I talk about some specific things I admire about their game and how I think said skills will be useful in helping them succeed as a pro. Examples, great shot selection, strong positioning that helps them create offensive chances, smart defensively, etc. Then I finish by thanking them for their time and wishing them good luck in their careers, and I request personalization in the PS.

Beyond the general formula I'll personalize it when I can for each player; for example, in my letter to McLaughlin I wrote how it was cool fo see a fellow PA kid succeeding in hockey and how it must've been cool to be drafted by his "hometown" team. For players like Seeley and Conner Roulette, whom I did feel went way later than they should have, I said that 30 teams are going to regret passing on them. Basically, I try to make it more personal than just saying "I think you're a great player," blah blah.
That’s pretty cool dude. I love living vicariously through your autographs even if that’s the wrong word

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That USSR card sounds awesome
It is probably one of my favorite cards. Usually not a fan of Leaf stuff because it isn't licensed, but this just has headshots so you don't have to worry about the airbrushed logos. Six nice patches numbered I think out of 20. Probably not going to get a high grade because it is pretty thick but it is such a nice card I just wanted it slabbed.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2