Autograph collections

Gregsky

May 12, 2011
Anyone want to share stories, ideas about thier collections? I own a massive collection of hockey autographs that span from the 1920s to today all aquired through myself and generations of my family going to countless games and historic arenas throughout the years. Hundreds of stories about meeting the greatest players to share with others who are interested in the history of the greatest game on earth.

spazway49

Mar 24, 2010
Belleville
Patrick Sharp jersey
Picture with Craig Anderson when I worked in his goalie camp
Felix Potvin, Manon Rheaume, Beezer, Cloutier, Bertuzzi (Rookie) cards signed

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Told this story before but anyhow when I was young I think 11 or 12 we were flying home from Edmonton after watching the Oilers play the Canadiens. This was before chartered planes and the players would be in the waiting area with everyone else.

I had an Oilers hat and I went around to all the Canadiens and got them all to sign it. I still remember Larry Robinson saying "i cant believe I'm signing a *mumble* Oilers hat." All the players chuckled and signed it for me. The only one I didnt get from that, I think it was 1981 or 1982 (long time ago), Habs team was Bob Gainey. I asked where he was but apparently he was in the bar :laugh: . The hat is somewhere in my parents basement now.

From the same trip I also have an Oilers banner with all the Oilers on it (it is so faded now though you cant even see the signatures).

Oh, and a Kelowna Rockets jersey signed by the memorial cup team somewhere.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
My dad took me to the 1953 Grey Cup Game in Toronto. Winnipeg played Toronto. I was fourteen. The Friday night before the game we went to the Royal York Hotel. The Canadiens, who won the Stanley Cup the previous April, were playing the Leafs the next night. We met a Canadiens scout there, who was from Winnipeg, that we knew. He introduced me to Paul Meger, who gave me a postcard size picture of himself and he autographed it on the front. Meger then took me around the lobby and introduced me to as many of his teammates as he could. I not only got their autographs, but was introduced and got to shake hands with them. Those that I met were, Maurice Richard, Butch Bouchard, Tom Johnson, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Coach, Dick Irvin, Dollard St. Laurent, Dick Gamble and Ken Mosdell. The first five are now in the Hockey Hall of Fame. I also got the autograph of Toronto Maple Leaf, Bill Juzda and NFL Football Hall of Fame member, John Henry Johnson. I still have the autographs.

Gregsky

May 12, 2011
I got Selanne in Hartford his rookie year. There must have been a hundred people hanging around the mall waiting to score his signature. Thinking that he probably didn't want to get mobbed before the game, I took a pic I had of him and went out to the street to the back exit to the hotel in the hopes he would take the back way to avoid the crowd. As I approached the back side of the hotel I saw him on the sidewalk heading toward the parking garrage of the arena. I called out to him and he stopped and smiled and waited for me to run up to him. He signed the pic and I wished him luck for the rest of his season. When I returned back to the mall everyone was still waiting for him there in vain, when I told some of the people around that he had already gone they started to get mad and call me a liar until I showed them the pic and then they went silent and went away dejected. I ended up being the only one to get him to sign that day. You can view the pic here if the link shows up -
111820.html
- if not try here - http://media.fans.nhl.com/_Teemu-Selanne-1jpg/photo/4189245/111820.html?enlarge=true

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I was working camera at an old-timers game in Fergus and met Doug Gilmour. Super nice guy, got him to sign my Habs jersey...I didn't have anything else for him to sign. Same game got Hawerchuk's autograph but he wasn't very chatty and seemed like he wanted to get the hell outta there. Can't blame him, it was Fergus.

I also have an Anrott signed rookie card. I have a Lindros juniors box set of cards unopened and got him to sign the packaging. Both of those guys were pretty big douches. Also have Sittlers autograph and Red Kelly, Red was awesome.

My favorite autograph is almost all washed out of my Leafs jersey. I'm not a leafs fan but was a big fan of Marcel Cousineau. I went to a signing thing in a mall and when I gave him my jersey to sign he was stunned that he actually had a big fan. lol I think I made his day.

Gregsky

May 12, 2011
I used to see Gordie Howe every home weekend for the Whalers during the '79-'80 season he gave my father and I tickets to the game a few times. He always talked with us and signed everything we had every time. I have around 30 pics/cards signed by him. He gave us the "heads-up" that the Whale were in talks with Bobby Hull so we should bring stuff for him to sign the next game, which was great! One Sunday he took a pic from me to sign and when he got the sharpie in his hand he put a blue line on my nose and laughed his a** off. I left it there and went to school the next morning proud as can be that Gordie signed my nose! Another time I caught him as he was leaving the parking garrage and he stopped the car to sign for me and when I handed him the pic through the window he rolled it up on my arm and waved goodbye and slowly started to drive, the look on my face must have been something else because he was almost crying he was laughing so hard. Another time he looked at the pics I handed him to sign and said "thanks kid these are nice" and put them in his jacket pocket and started to walk away. Gordie was always my favorite player to be around. http://media.fans.nhl.com/_Gordie-Howe-1jpg/photo/4189106/111820.html?enlarge=true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad