Tennis: Australian Open 2018

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Defending champs are Federer and Williams. Serena has already pulled out, still not ready to return.

On the men's side, this will be one of the more interesting draws in some time. Murray and Nishikori have already withdrawn and their are injury clouds hanging over Nadal and Djokovic. Djokovic returning from a long layoff currently sitting #12 so where will he land in the draw? Raonic looking at potentially a #22 ranking could make for any interesting earlier round matchup.

Seems like the table is set for Roger to repeat but he is 36 and father time has to catch up sometime right?

Could we get a first time winner? Dimitrov finished the year strong and will come in as the #3 seed. Can Zverev take the next step? Kyrgios coming in off a title win last week. Can the Canadian 18 year old Shapovalov make a run? Should be a fun tournament!

On the women's side, with no Serena, I think it's about as wide open as you get. Good luck predicting a winner. I think there is a lot of potential winners and probably a good chance of a first time winner.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic and Shapovalov with direct entry.
Pospisil, Polansky, Schnur, Peliwo and Dancevic are all in the qualifying draw. Poalnsky and Schnur in the same bracket though so at most we'd have 4 men qualify.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fed and Nole look like they have the toughest draws, though Rafa will run into Dimitrov if all goes as planned. I know this is heresy but I am at the stage where I would like to see someone other than Roger or Rafa win this. Last year was fun once, but tennis needs to move on.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Fed and Nole look like they have the toughest draws, though Rafa will run into Dimitrov if all goes as planned. I know this is heresy but I am at the stage where I would like to see someone other than Roger or Rafa win this. Last year was fun once, but tennis needs to move on.

Agree 100%. I am very ready for some new champions.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Pospisil makes it through qualifying and Polansky got in as a LL for a second year in a row.

Vasek gets a tough draw though in Cilic.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Zhang dominated the 2nd set tiebreak vs Stephens. It's anyones match at this point. Sloane is in a brutal losing streak since the US open

...and Sloane's losing streak continues

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't expect a big run from Nadal and I don't think Federer defends his title. I feel like Djokovic could win again here but it's been a long layoff. I could see a Dimitrov title for sure.

I like Halep on the women's side.

Shapovalov and Pospisil both in action tonight. Vasek already in tough against Cilic is dealing with a knee issue, so I don't expect much.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Shapovalov/Tsitsipas just underway. Two talented young guns. Shap rocking the pink.

Stephens out and Bencic has Venus on the ropes. Bencic really on a roll now after her injury layoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad