Tennis: Australian Open 2017

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I watched the match on youtube where it is available in its entirety in, I think, Russian, or some other eastern European language, which was fine with me but might be annoying to others who want to listen. Some random thoughts:

Just a complete roller coaster ride from start to finish.

Given the nature of the match and the opponent and their recent history, I find it almost impossible to grasp Roger's turnaround in the last five games of the fifth set. I don't know how you go down that deep to pull that out. Talk about grace under pressure and strength of character--off the charts.

As far as the first four sets, there was a ton of marvelous play making, but given the high number of unforced errors from Roger on both wings and the often tepid play of Nadal, had either Nole or Andy made it through to the final and played well, I doubt it would have gone more than four sets against either of the finalists.

Though it went missing in action in the second set, Roger's serve won him so many key points against a Rafa who is not the returner he once was. Rafa had a chance early to take control of the third set when Roger kept hitting easy balls right into the net. But all three break points Roger saved with aces served extremely wide to the ad court. He served brilliantly to the ad court all night, not losing his first point on that side until the start of the second set.

Rafa spent a lot of time servining into the body all night, but if you aren't striking the ball harder than he was, what's the point. Rafa ended up doing most of the running and nearly all of the sweating.

The severity of Rafa's game is fading at about the same rate as his hair is receding: he's got a lot left, but it's not what it once was. The velocity is diminished; the spin is less challenging; the angles aren't as acute; and, often in this match, his depth was woeful. Except for maybe the first four games of the second set, he was never the Alpha Dog on court. Roger was: calm, composed, determined; steady, and committed to aggression on both wings, even when he was missing.

Flaws and all, this will become one of the legendary tennis matches in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6fB2PYzMF8

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Was away over the weekend and watched most of the match on tape delay.

- First of all :yo::handclap::clap::win:

- One of the smartest matches, and tournaments Roger has ever played. Granted I watched the match knowing its conclusion but Federer was proactive on both offense and defense. On offense he stepped in and went for his flat shots and even though his timing was sometimes way off (as in the the second and fourth sets) it meant he was still playing the match on his terms. Likewise on defense he often tried to anticipate Nadal's crosscourt shots on both wings and because the court was a lot faster than in years past the strategy worked.

- I thought Nadal's gameplan was grind Federer down was good in principle as it has been so reliable in the past, but he got too predictable and a couple of really untimely UAEs in the middle of the fifth set dampened his controlled aggression and led to one too many passive shots on his final service game. I also thought he should have stood closer on a few of Roger's serves to change things up a bit.

- Federer's return-of-serve was in vintage form. He normally has a lot of trouble with Nadal's serve but in this match he achieved parity on the serivce return more often than not.

- Surprised to see such a FAST 5-setter. Normally Nadal takes his time but for whatever reason (maybe it was the evening start time?) the tempo of the match was in Federer's favour.

- From a drama stand point in the first 4 sets there weren't too many tight games with many deuces, but that was an INCREDIBLE 5th set.

- Some credit has to go to Roger's mental toughness in the 5th set after he failed to break back immediately after dropping his serve. Maybe it was the clutch play in his previous two 5-setters at this year's AO, or maybe it was the fact that the crowd was decisively in Federer's favour in the end, but whatever it was he come through when even many of his most ardent fans doubted him.

- What a fairy tale conclusion if you're a Federer fan. That said if your a Nadal fan you have to be encouraged by the fact that his shots have rediscovered their depth and if he can just remain healthy for the next 4-5 months he still has it in him to get that 10th French Open title.

- Lastly, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see Federer and Nadal in another GS final. When you add the fact that the Williams sisters also turned back the clock as well as a few other fantastic storylines like Mirjana Lučić-Baroni, this truly was a tennis tournament for the ages.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not to mention that "the likes of Roddick and Safin" have positive head-to-heads against Djokovic. The weak era argument is...well, pretty weak.
That "weak era" stuff makes me laugh. Forget the Big Four. The Next Generation and the Next Next Generation combined have yet to dislodge Berdych from the top six. Monfils is in the top ten again and Tsonga not far off. 34-year-old Ferrer remains in the top 25. How many eras have that kind of longevity? Very few.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad