Auston Matthews

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Just curious as a non-Arizona fan/citizen, with the long term locale of the team a question, would a player like Auston Matthews maybe be viewed as a very enticing piece to the franchise being that he's an Arizona native? From a marketing/jerseys/franchise face it seems to me that they might be a team that would look to tank one more year, and move for as many picks as possible to put as many darts on the 2016 lottery board?

Just one outsiders perspective

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With the way ownership, management, and coaching are talking, I expect us to burn some pretty good young assets in a pointless and hopeless effort to not be in the Matthews sweepstakes. I'm guessing we move some decent picks at the draft and some some decent young players for much older assets. It won't be a successful strategy, and we'll end up in the running for Matthews anyway.

However, you have to understand our luck. This is the first draft ever where there will be a lottery for not just the first pick but also a lottery for the second pick and a third lottery for the third pick. I'm guessing we finish 29th or 30th overall but lose all three lotteries end up with the 4th overall pick.

Further, we'll probably take LHD Hanifin 3rd overall next Friday. By next draft LHD Chychrun will probably be the clear cut, no questions asked 4th best player in his draft. We'll have no choice but to take him.

We'll have OEL, Hanifin, Chychrun and ZERO top line centers or top line center prospect.

This is the Coyotes way.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
With the way ownership, management, and coaching are talking, I expect us to burn some pretty good young assets in a pointless and hopeless effort to not be in the Matthews sweepstakes. I'm guessing we move some decent picks at the draft and some some decent young players for much older assets. It won't be a successful strategy, and we'll end up in the running for Matthews anyway.

However, you have to understand our luck. This is the first draft ever where there will be a lottery for not just the first pick but also a lottery for the second pick and a third lottery for the third pick. I'm guessing we finish 29th or 30th overall but lose all three lotteries end up with the 4th overall pick.

Further, we'll probably take LHD Hanifin 3rd overall next Friday. By next draft LHD Chychrun will probably be the clear cut, no questions asked 4th best player in his draft. We'll have no choice but to take him.

We'll have OEL, Hanifin, Chychrun and ZERO top line centers or top line center prospect.

This is the Coyotes way.

And then GRA will implode mysteriously

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Who would even return a 2016 1st at this point? One that has a shot at being in the lottery that a team would be willing to trade without protections. Maybe Hanzal?

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Just curious as a non-Arizona fan/citizen, with the long term locale of the team a question, would a player like Auston Matthews maybe be viewed as a very enticing piece to the franchise being that he's an Arizona native? From a marketing/jerseys/franchise face it seems to me that they might be a team that would look to tank one more year, and move for as many picks as possible to put as many darts on the 2016 lottery board?

Just one outsiders perspective

1) If we trade for 1st rounders that team is likely to make the playoffs and wouldn't help with the lottery bid
2) I am comfortable with Oliver Ekman-Larsson as the face of the franchise
3) The only feasible scenario to get AM is to draft the BPA @ this year's draft and trade him next season for AM

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I seriously doubt GMDM and the management team are interested in marketability, but it may play a minor role.

More importantly and opposed to RT's theory, I think we won't be able to move anything to obtain anyone this off season. Therefore, we will not tank, but lack so much experience and the coveted #1 center we so desperately need, that we will finish last....... Sadly, this is where I am complete agreement with RT, we will wind up picking fourth!

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I seriously doubt GMDM and the management team are interested in marketability, but it may play a minor role.

More importantly and opposed to RT's theory, I think we won't be able to move anything to obtain anyone this off season. Therefore, we will not tank, but lack so much experience and the coveted #1 center we so desperately need, that we will finish last....... Sadly, this is where I am complete agreement with RT, we will wind up picking fourth!

That's why we have to really stock up on assets at the deadline, especially 1st and 2nd rounders, in order to move up if and when necessary.

2016 has relatively large amount of parity at the top of the draft. Matthews, Brown, Puljuljarvi, Chychrun, and maybe Tkachuk should be in the top tier. All of them should have fairly similar value, with no standouts like McDavid this year. If another team has a different positional need than us, we can easily move up if we have the assets.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
We have a better chance of winning the Cup than we do of getting Auston Matthews.

Vegas currently has the Coyotes Stanley Cup odds at 1/100 for next year, and the bottom 13 teams all have a greater-than-1% chance at winning the lottery next year. If you think the Coyotes are more likely to win the cup than they are to finish in the bottom 13, I'd suggest you make an investment now.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Vegas currently has the Coyotes Stanley Cup odds at 1/100 for next year, and the bottom 13 teams all have a greater-than-1% chance at winning the lottery next year. If you think the Coyotes are more likely to win the cup than they are to finish in the bottom 13, I'd suggest you make an investment now.

I don't give a crap about odds or Vegas. I know for lock-solid certain that our franchise's luck with the draft supersedes all statistics, defies all understanding, and absolutely, thoroughly, and completely eliminates the possibility of hope.

We could finish 30th and win the lottery for Matthews, and then a meteor would strike the city, wiping out all its inhabitants and forcing the league to move forward with 29 teams. That's how bad our luck is.

The Cup's odds are only 1/100. That's pretty damn good for us sorry lot.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
I don't give a crap about odds or Vegas. I know for lock-solid certain that our franchise's luck with the draft supersedes all statistics, defies all understanding, and absolutely, thoroughly, and completely eliminates the possibility of hope.

We could finish 30th and win the lottery for Matthews, and then a meteor would strike the city, wiping out all its inhabitants and forcing the league to move forward with 29 teams. That's how bad our luck is.

:laugh: Truly, a cataclysmic disaster is the only thing missing from the Coyotes' luck profile!

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Wonder what the rule is for drafting. Do players have to be drafted to get into the NHL or can they be signed from a different league?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wonder what the rule is for drafting. Do players have to be drafted to get into the NHL or can they be signed from a different league?

Players have to pass through their draft eligible years undrafted before they can sign if I remember right. This is just for development, and euros have arguably the best path to the NHL in terms of flexibility.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Players have to pass through their draft eligible years undrafted before they can sign if I remember right. This is just for development, and euros have arguably the best path to the NHL in terms of flexibility.

All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible

So maybe a two year wait if he chooses to not participate in the draft?

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Why other than money would he go play in Switzerland over the WHL?

You basically explained it in your question. Money can't be excluded from the equation.

An argument could also be made that playing against stronger competition (men as opposed to boys soon to be men) is another consideration.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reduced/better travel, better training, easier path to the NHL.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003

I duly note your intimate, very acurate knowledge of good fortune as it relates to the Arizona Coyotes. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad