Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Laine's clutch is just something else. and him scoring 4 goals in his last 2 games (tying the game to take Tappara to OT both times) in the semi-finals against a top 3 defensive team in europe is just hard to ignore.

Matthews hasn't proven to have that type of clutch (you can't refer to the U18s forever).

There is no such thing as clutch.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
All it takes is one team to like Laine more and remember this quote from Bob Mckenzie's mid-season compiled rankings

“Had to think long and hard about it,” said another scout. “Laine is right there. In the end, we favoured the centre over the winger but I don’t think it’s a reach at all to see Laine going first overall. A lot of our European scouts who see these guys think Laine is better.”

and you have to think Laine has only impressed since then(Feb 8)

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
A lot people including scouts had Matthews locked for 1st pick more than a year. From those days he was playing with juniors. People seem to forget that these young kids evolve a lot. Laines shot was average 2 years ago and now it's one of the best in the world. Laine is bringing elements to his game that people who have seen him playing since he was 12 years old are suprised to see he has these new tricks in his playbook.

A lot scouts in europe are already changing their views who actually is best player in this draft. Matthews has not played as tough games as these going on in his whole life. You take center before winger if they are on same level but Laine is a tier above Matthews and you guys will be suprised when the last drafting lists for the draft comes out.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Interesting situation. Both of them will also play in WC next may. Personally I don't have a clue which one is better, but I'm bit of surprised that elite sniper talent should be automatically drafted after center. You have basically in every draft Matthews level center(s), but snipers on level of Laine come only in every 5-6 draft.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Is Laine that close to Matthews though? I always had the mindset that Buffalo would take Matthews if they had the first no matter what, and just shift him to wing or put O'Reilly on the wing when he's not taking important, defensive faceoffs.

Let's just say, I'd take Matthews even if I was Buffalo. They're the only team I could see taking Laine over Matthews though. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

Even then, it's not going to happen. They will definitely work around the idea you've highlighted with O'Rielly moving to the wing eventually. You just don't overlook someone like Matthews. He's such a well-rounded player.

Buffalo might love the idea of simply winning the 2nd pick and selecting Laine without having to choose. :laugh:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Laine is a better fit for the Oilers than Matthews is as well. Not sure Edmonton would take Laine first overall, but I'm sure it would be a heated debate among Oiler scouts. Edmonton desperately needs a pure sniper and are loaded down the middle. The size and right shot is just a bonus.

I think most Oiler fans are hoping for 2nd overall.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Interesting situation. Both of them will also play in WC next may. Personally I don't have a clue which one is better, but I'm bit of surprised that elite sniper talent should be automatically drafted after center. You have basically in every draft Matthews level center(s), but snipers on level of Laine come only in every 5-6 draft.

Matthews himself will be able to score a boatload of goals. His shot is very good.

Add on his defensive awareness, faceoff ability, and general hockey IQ. It becomes easier to see why he's going over Laine.

Obviously, if Laine was Ovechkin (pre-draft version) he'd go first but he's not.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Matthews himself will be able to score a boatload of goals. His shot is very good.

Add on his defensive awareness, faceoff ability, and general hockey IQ. It becomes easier to see why he's going over Laine.

Obviously, if Laine was Ovechkin (pre-draft version) he'd go first but he's not.

You just unveiled that you haven't watched them playing.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You just unveiled that you haven't watched them playing.

I never said Laine has poor hockey IQ. He's actually very good in that regard.

BUT, I feel Matthews with everything else thrown in takes the #1 spot. A prospect doesn't come in parts, he comes as one complete package of skills. Matthews as a package is far more well-rounded than Laine especially because of his natural position.

Look, I am a Leafs fan and I'd say this even if we end up with Laine.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Matthews. He's the complete package, just so much dynamic potential in all areas of the game.

Laine was hyped, dropped due to character issues and skating issues, then rose again, but he's always been considered to be one of the best Finnish scorers to come out of their system in years.

That being said, it's not much of a gap. Matthews' position is not guaranteed at all.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Some here that say Pulju and Laine are close or in same tier haven't watched a single game of the playoff series between Kärpät vs Tappara (Pulju vs Laine). That is for sure.

Now that's the problem with these boards. People don't seem to watch the games, they just had a set mindset on that Matthews is better since day 1 and just stick to it

Totally agree.

You take center before winger if they are on same level but Laine is a tier above Matthews and you guys will be suprised when the last drafting lists for the draft comes out.

Exactly. It's going to be a shock. Just prepare for it.

Said this in the Laine thread, but if I was a scout I'd definitely keep lying that Matthews is still the #1 pick till the end so I'd have better chance to make the steal and get Laine over Matthews if my team was at that position.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
Laine is NHL ready and ready to take this (Most goals by a rookie, one season: Teemu Selanne (1992–93)) from another finn. No matter if team needs Center and not winger, would be idiotic to take Mattehws over Laine. Matthews is gonna be good solid first line NHL center.....Laine is going to be..... NHL -legend and a superstar Kurri....Selanne....Laine. You can count on that.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Laine was hyped, dropped due to character issues and skating issues, then rose again, but he's always been considered to be one of the best Finnish scorers to come out of their system in years.

Honestly I haven't seen a guy from Finland shoot like this since Simo Häyhä

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Laine is NHL ready and ready to take this (Most goals by a rookie, one season: Teemu Selanne (1992–93)) from another finn. No matter if team needs Center and not winger, would be idiotic to take Mattehws over Laine. Matthews is gonna be good solid first line NHL center.....Laine is going to be..... NHL -legend and a superstar Kurri....Selanne....Laine. You can count on that.

Agree with you on most other things, but Selänne's record is untouchable.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Matthews will go first due to US market potential. That kid is solid gold for business value.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
How could any one be better prospect than Laine? I just cant figure it out, but gotta trust it and go with the flow and say Matthews even tho I don't know why every one are having him as lock.

LOL.. if Laine were truly better at almost everything he would be the unamious #1 pick and would be considered a generational talent. That isn't the case.

You can't honestly think Matthwes is clearly better in everything than Laine tho. Just not possible, no way. He was locked over yerar ago when he actually looked like he deserves that #1 lock, it isn't clear any more.

Last edited:

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Laine seems to be better at almost in everything.

What did Laine ever do to you for you to go on every single thread and troll about him?

Auston Matthews is obviously better right now (consensus 1st overall), but I could see Laine possibly being the better player in the future.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
What did Laine ever do to you for you to go on every single thread and troll about him?

Auston Matthews is obviously better right now (consensus 1st overall), but I could see Laine possibly being the better player in the future.

What has Matthews done to get that consensus 1st place? He has had it since playing with kids. Matthews have NEVER played such high quality and though games Laine is playing atm in PO-series against Kärpät.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
What has Matthews done to get that consensus 1st place? He has had it since playing with kids. Matthews have NEVER played such high quality and though games Laine is playing atm in PO-series against Kärpät.

Well I don't watch much of him so I can't really comment too much on that, but there's obviously a reason that every single mock draft has him at number 1.
Also, didn't Matthews play in the Swiss League? I wouldn't really call that playing with kids.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Well I don't watch much of him so I can't really comment too much on that, but there's obviously a reason that every single mock draft has him at number 1.
Also, didn't Matthews play in the Swiss League? I wouldn't really call that playing with kids.

What i meant by playing with kids was that he has been a lock for 1st place for 2 years. 2 years ago he was playing with kids.

He indeed played in Swiss league this season. In playoffs his 1st seed team lost to 8th seed team with a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad