Auston Matthews vs Nathan MacKinnon

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
How many points would Mackinnon have without Rantanen and Landy? We already know by looking at his first 4 seasons.
What I was going to say. Mack was nothing without Rantanen. Matthews can drive a line by himself.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Sure. Happens all the time. What does that have to do with his post though?
I don't need to paint this picture for you do I? I know I don't because you constantly troll anything Toronto related, he was talking about growth between two young players in their 20's. But honestly not wasting my time talking to you.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't need to paint this picture for you do I? I know I don't because you constantly troll anything Toronto related, he was talking about growth between two young players in their 20's. But honestly not wasting my time talking to you.
So you don’t have an argument then.
I thought as much. You’re just being a homer. As usual.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not many players I'd pick over Matthews. MacKinnon is one of them. Auston might still prove to be better.

Reactions: cgf

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Matthews ppg this year with Johnsson, Brown, Kapanen, Nylander = 1.33. That's higher than Mackinnon's breakout ppg last year of 1.31 playing with Rantanen and Landeskog.

To be fair, it's a smaller sample size and this season is higher scoring than last season.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
This is rich. Guy is throwing stones in a glass house. Matthews scored 40 as a rookie. MacKinnon struggled for 4 years. So you don't have an argument smart guy.

Nate Mack as an 18 year old rookie: 73 points in 89 games (including playoffs)

Austin Matthews as a 19 year old rookie: 74 points in 88 games

Mackinnon is the better player now and always, AINEC. Get back to me when Matthews has even a single 70 point season

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
Matthews probably won't hit 80 points for another straight season, but we'll still see the top 5C arguments on here. MacKinnon has eclipsed him quite clearly he is the much better player.

Reactions: Snowman

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Nate Mack as an 18 year old rookie: 73 points in 89 games (including playoffs)

Austin Matthews as a 19 year old rookie: 74 points in 88 games

Mackinnon is the better player now and always, AINEC. Get back to me when Matthews has even a single 70 point season
What a shocker to see you rear your ugly head. How about looking at MacKinnons next two seasons? Ah, of course you won't because it doesn't fit your pathetic anti-leafs narrative that you never seem to take a break from. Read a book, man, maybe you won't be so miserable.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Ever heard of young players getting better?

That’s exactly what I am saying. One poster said that 2 years ago Mac wasn’t as good as Matthews. I’m saying that irrelevant with young players cause they improve.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Todd Harvey was a better player at 20 than Martin St. Louis. Dion Phaneuf was a better player at 20 than Shea Weber.

What players do in their first two years doesn’t mean **** when everyone develops at completely different rates.

This is what's so dumb about these discussions. Why are the players being compared in their first two years or whatever, when the poll is asking who is better now?

If Leaf fans think Matthews is better *now*, then vote because of that. Don't use some stupid argument that he's the choice because he was better his first two years compared to MacKinnon's first two years, completely ignoring who is the better player at this very date.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
How many points would Matthews have without Rielly, Gardiner, Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, Nylander and Kadri? ;)
Difference is we know what Mackinnon produced like before Rantanen got there. Matthews put up his rookie season numbers with Brown, Hyman and Nylander as his main wingers. He had a 1.03ppg in his sophmore year with Nylander and Hyman and this year he's put up a 1.33 ppg with Johnsson, Brown, Kapanen and rusty Nylander as his linemates. It doesn't mater who Matthews linemates have been, he's kept producing and progressing. Those linemates you mentioned of his besides Marner and Tavares lead the team to the worst overall spot in the league before Matthews rookie year. They've improved since but it's not like those players were what they are now when Matthews first entered the league.

Mackinnon had 4 years worth of games to judge him off without Rantanen and the Avs made the playoffs his rookie year.

Same hypocrites that'll say Rielly's production is inflated because of the team he plays for will also say Mackinnon didn't see a massive spike in his production after being put on a stacked line with Rantanen and Landy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad