Auston Matthews vs Leon Draisaitl

Who do you take

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
you asked who’s the better player today, then went on to list like 3 season of stats that lead to a debate of playoff scoring, linemates, ext.

Why post all these stats from 1,2,3 years ago when discussing who’s better today?

no you didn’t discredit Matthews, but the op wreaks of bias and set the table for an dishonest discussion.

If someone only watched last nights game and judged who the better player was, well it would be easy to point out. I’d say clearly McDavid, then injured Matthews. Drai was pretty invisible outside of a few turnovers and the power plays where he was being fed by 97. Matthews wasn’t at his best either, but made a couple decent passes as well as a few takeaways - he was certainly more noticeable than Drai.
So basically what you are saying is you didn’t actually watch the game

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes Draisaitl outscored Matthews in points that has already been established.

It's also been established that with the exception of the 2018-19 Season, Matthews has scored more goals than Draisaitl and is the better player in that category.

So why do people care that Matthews can better in one category and Draisaitl doesn't have to be.
No. It hasn’t been established that Matthews is currently the better goal scorer. You cherry picked stats from their rookie years to try to establish that. But you failed. And why would we ignore the 2018-2019 season when every comparison used here is based on the last three years.
What has been established is that Drai has significantly outpointed Matthews over the last 3 seasons and also edged him in goals.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No. It hasn’t been established that scored Matthews is currently the better goal scorer. You cherry picked stats from their rookie years to try to establish that. But you failed. And why would we ignore the 2018-2019 season when every comparison used here is based on the last three years.
What has been established is that Drai has outpointed and outscored Matthews over the last 3 seasons.
Let me repeat this one last time so you can understand. Matthews has a 0.56 Goals Per Game during his whole career, where as Draisatil has a 0.40 Goals Per Game for his career.

So that proves without a doubt how Matthews is the better goal scorer.

If you don't believe that it makes you a Leafs hater and a Matthews hater.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Let me repeat this one last time so you can understand. Matthews has a 0.56 Goals Per Game during his whole career, where as Draisatil has a 0.40 Goals Per Game for his career.

So that proves without a doubt that Matthews is the better goal scorer.

If you don't believe that it makes you a Leafs hater and a Matthews hater.
Let me repeat this again. What either player did in their rookie seasons is not relevant at this time in determining who is better. MacKinnon had a much worse rookie season than Matthews but he’s clearly a far better player currently. And I think most reasonable posters would acknowledge that Drai is currently better than Matthews too. That doesn’t mean that Matthews can’t pass him in the future but Draisaitl is the current holder of all three of the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay so Matthews still has a ways to go.
When you trot out the Leafs hater argument it just makes you look childish.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For me it’s Matthews going forward. And this is coming from a Leafs hater and someone who loves Draisaitl. I think going forward the difference defensively is far too great to make up for the difference offensively.

Reactions: 6ix

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
TSN Once ranked Taylor Hall 9th after he won the Hart Trophy in the 2017-18 Season and they ranked Nathan MacKinnon 3rd, even though he finished 2nd to Hall in the Hart Trophy voting.

So they don't always rank the current Hart Trophy winner that high.
How is this helping you make your point? Lol if anything it weakens it

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Matthews best season in the +/- category was in the 2017-18 Season when he finished +25. Yet people still say he's not good defensively and doesn't play a two way game.
So you agree McDavid is good defensively?

He's had seasons of +27 and +20, all while actually putting up league leading numbers.

Something Matthews hasn't quite figured out yet.

Reactions: nturn06

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Because it’s a leaf vs somebody else thread. Not a leaf vs oiler thread. You’re only here because it’s a leaf involved, as you’re post history confirms. Your posts are always anti leaf arguments. Why can’t you argue positives for the leaf player too once in a while if you are “neutral”

it’s because you’re not neutral and have an agenda. Which is fine since you already admitted it.
Where am I posting negative things about leaf players? This is getting to be enough already. All I’m asking for is a little bit of consistency in some posters arguments. I’ve said many times Matthews is a great player and a great goal scorer.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The OP ignored that in the 2019-20 Season how Matthews Goals Per Game was 0.67 and Draisaitl had a 0.61 Goals Per Game.
If that’s the bias you’re comparing to your op in the Tavares O’Rielly thread that’s not even close.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's honestly mind boggling that you can't even see the amount of times you and your pals move the posts.

When a Leafs player(Matthews) is losing a poll you dig and dig for a stat that you think makes him/them superior.

You can't keep a consistent argument.

We all hear how important goals are when Matthews is compared to the heavy majority of players in the league, even when that player surpasses him in points.

Drai has surpased him in both those categories in the last 3 seasons combined. Now you're literally going back and forth padding each other on the back because one of you found the +/- stat.

If Matthews actually had a good contract like Drai's, heck one of you probably would have hammered that for 3 pages of this thread.

It's honestly sad.
Speaking of the plus/minus stat.

Draisaitl is a +5 this year, where Matthews is only a +2.

Draisaitl is the superior 200ft player too.

Taking L's all day long these fans are lol.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
I mean, that's a relevant stat, but not sure why you're only looking at ES, and the bigger issue was the incredible bias with which the OP was made, and for really no reason, considering he would have got the result he was manufacturing anyway.
We could add in Drai’s historically good PP numbers if that makes you feel better, I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad