Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews & Mitch Marner named to the 2016-2017 All Rookie Team

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why is there a narrative that Nylander > Marner?

Nylander played on the wing of Matthews, Marner on the wing of Bozak. Marner was tied with Matthews in team scoring until half way through when he caught strep, which turned into Mono, then we was injured, missed time, came back still hurt and played through it.

Despite ALL of that, he STILL tied Nylander. Nylander is great, but everything he has done has been with great talent on his line. NHL = Matthews, MVP = Backstrom.

Not knocking him, he is great and obviously talented. I just think Marner has proven more so far in that he has a more high end skill set and has proven he can carry a line more reliably is all.

Lots of recency bias in here IMO.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Nylander played on the wing of Matthews, Marner on the wing of Bozak. Marner was tied with Matthews in team scoring until half way through when he caught strep, which turned into Mono, then we was injured, missed time, came back still hurt and played through it.

Despite ALL of that, he STILL tied Nylander. Nylander is great, but everything he has done has been with great talent on his line. NHL = Matthews, MVP = Backstrom.

Not knocking him, he is great and obviously talented. I just think Marner has proven more so far in that he has a more high end skill set and has proven he can carry a line more reliably is all.

I agree, Marner deserved it by a hair. Also a year younger, not that that should be a factor.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I second this, Nyalnder got stronger as the year went on and Mitch looked like he turned down the elite play towards the end of the season (rumored he was hurt), regardless they are both exciting talents and hopefully will be wearing the Leafs uni's for a long long time.

I would think we will have them long enough to buy all their Jersey's and over their respective careers here. you Will pay out about 75 bucks a year for the Trifecta.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016

My understanding it basically boils down to the underlying numbers:

image.jpg

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I would think we will have them long enough to buy all their Jersey's and over their respective careers here. you Will pay out about 75 bucks a year for the Trifecta.

I wish $75, I'm looking at a Matthews signed/framed Jersey for $800. Its a pretty good deal cause the frames usually run about $200.

I buy them to put on the wall now as an investment, I no longer wear Leafs Jerseys with the names on the back because something feels wrong about a grown adult wearing a jersey of a kid 28 years younger than me.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Its a what have you done for me lately sport, one finished strong while the other limped over the finish line.

I happen to think they are equally talented but in a different way. Any team would be happy to have one of those kids on their team..

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wish $75, I'm looking at a Matthews signed/framed Jersey for $800. Its a pretty good deal cause the frames usually run about $200.

I buy them to put on the wall now as an investment, I no longer wear Leafs Jerseys with the names on the back because something feels wrong about a grown adult wearing a jersey of a kid 28 years younger than me.
This past December I went to a Boxing Day sale at a collectors store and purchased myself a 16X20 framed autographed picture of Matthews, which was either 35% or 40% off.

This coming December when they have that same Boxing Day sale they have another Matthews autographed framed picture in the same size after scoring his hat trick on opening night. In hindsight I should have also bought it with the other one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It was not ever confirmed that Marner had strep/mono, it was just speculated that he had some sort of illness.

Marner had a hot start of the year, but had some problems in the last part of the season and into the playoffs while Nylander was consistently playing well during that period. His line was also the most sheltered of the three scoring lines.

None of this takes away from the amazing season Marner had, but I feel most evidence points to Nylander having the stronger season (though at admittedly very close)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was not ever confirmed that Marner had strep/mono, it was just speculated that he had some sort of illness.

Marner had a hot start of the year, but had some problems in the last part of the season and into the playoffs while Nylander was consistently playing well during that period. His line was also the most sheltered of the three scoring lines.

None of this takes away from the amazing season Marner had, but I feel most evidence points to Nylander having the stronger season (though at admittedly very close)
With the exception of Marner's play towards the end of the season and the playoffs, I say overall this a problem I don't mind because he and Nylander still had great overall seasons.

DirkStraun

Aug 9, 2015
Congrats to Marner and Matthews for making the team. I feel so lucky to have those two and Nylander on our team. I enjoy watching all three of them and the way each is capable of taking over a game. I hope Marner and Nylander does not turn into another Bozak and Kadri or Gardiner and Rielly debate. I find it childish that people would slander a great player just to prop up their favourite player. Enjoy the fact we dont have to pick one or the other but have them both for years to come. I can't wait for next season to start and watch all of them develop into even better players. Go Leafs Go!!!

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
That’s a pretty sick line. Matthews switches to Hyman’s role as the grinder/forechecker, Marner as the playmaker, and Laine as the sniper. Could be sweet haha

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
kind of disappointing since Marner had an underwhelming final 20 games or so while Nylander led the playoff charge and improved leaps and bounds over the last half of the season

Yea, I don't really get it either.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I agree, Marner deserved it by a hair. Also a year younger, not that that should be a factor.

At this stage a year younger is huge......( although not a factor in the voting of course).
And People tend to forget just how good marner was before he got hurt/sick...
His extraordinary vision is what separates him from others..
And yet Nylander is still improving too..
What a treat having all these guys...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad