Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews & Mitch Marner named to the 2016-2017 All Rookie Team

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
This doesn't mean dirt. Lists and all stars are nothing nowdays. East west games back in the 90's was something etc. But these lists.... :biglaugh: They ain't dirt. Polak is better.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
How did they finish in the Calder voting? Were they close to the top 3?

4/5, 5/6 like. right after another (or separated by 1 person, I can't remember now).
I am surprised that Mitch got it over Will, especially because Will had 2x rookie of the month and that point streak. But you knew that Laine was gonna get 1 and Matty the 2nd, so i guess it was a rock paper scissors kind of doohickey

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
good; hope this ticks off willy and he comes into the season with an unmatched force.

Backstrom pretty much said during the worlds that Willy is the most skilled player he has played with....

Can't wait till next season starts

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
4/5, 5/6 like. right after another (or separated by 1 person, I can't remember now).
I am surprised that Mitch got it over Will, especially because Will had 2x rookie of the month and that point streak. But you knew that Laine was gonna get 1 and Matty the 2nd, so i guess it was a rock paper scissors kind of doohickey
Marner was 5th and Nylander was 6th.

Now in terms of the vote in total points Marner had 273 and Nylander had 143.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a day for the Leafs rookies - please no controversy between Marner and Nylander as they both are high end talented players (both are Leafs)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What a day for the Leafs rookies - please no controversy between Marner and Nylander as they both are high end talented players (both are Leafs)
If it was the reverse and Nylander got it instead of Marner I don't any of us would be upset.

Honestly I didn't see Marner's name at first among them and I just assumed Matthews would be the only Maple Leaf rookie to make this list.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
but Nylander was better than Marner...

More points, harder usage, and better defensive play.

Don't get me wrong, estatic that Marner has gotten all this recognition for his amazing season, buy Nylander did have a better season by the end.

Regardless, simply amazing to have two Leafs on that lineup.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, it had to be either Marner or Nylander, I preferred Nylander by a hair... and he had the stronger finish.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Don't get me wrong, estatic that Marner has gotten all this recognition for his amazing season, buy Nylander did have a better season by the end.

Yup. I think Nylander was better, but Mitch had a terrific year as well.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How did they finish in the Calder voting? Were they close to the top 3?

DC4xZjGUIAA4aWV.jpg:large

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner was 5th and Nylander was 6th.

Now in terms of the vote in total points Marner had 273 and Nylander had 143.

I assumed Marner would finish ahead but surprised by the large gap between the two. Interesting to see the unbiased view of the hockey community.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I assumed Marner would finish ahead but surprised by the large gap between the two. Interesting to see the unbiased view of the hockey community.

Marner took a lot of media by storm early on. Great moves, passes, etc. He drove that lines offense to career highs for Bozak and JVR. Who knows how far he could of gone had he not got mono. Nylander had a great season, but only started to put it all together around christmas, but he was on fire. Bother worthy of the selection, but not enough room.

From a financial point of view I like this for Marner who finished 1 goal short of getting a bonus, but likely gets a bonus for the all rookie team selection. Nylander got 22 goals and a bonus. So both players get rewards for a very good season.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada

I hope this does not turn into another McCabe/Kaberle like debate among Leaf fans...they are both excellent talents be happy that we have them along with Matthews. It is not often that you see a trio of players all this good coming up at the same time...

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
kind of disappointing since Marner had an underwhelming final 20 games or so while Nylander led the playoff charge and improved leaps and bounds over the last half of the season

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I second this, Nyalnder got stronger as the year went on and Mitch looked like he turned down the elite play towards the end of the season (rumored he was hurt), regardless they are both exciting talents and hopefully will be wearing the Leafs uni's for a long long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad