Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep. He's paid to walk the walk and is expected to do it, and on the whole we have an incomplete effort when taking his career postseason performances. He IS capable of winning a series for the team, but needs to step up.

With that said, he's still clearly dealing with something the last couple games. Like with the Nylander injury bad takes from some folks I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for those games.

I’m not sure what to think.

His current playoff series may be hampered by illness but the pattern of kind of only showing up for a handful of games in a series follows a consistent 8 year trend plus that awful Florida series which seems to have set a new playoff low for Matthews and the Leafa.

To the extent that Matthews actually can’t win a playoff series on his own, can’t lead a team in the playoffs and is only masked by health this time, or he’s ready to be a Conn Smythe winner but due to extenuating circumstances has been sidetracked. I dunno.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Always been a Matthews fan but 1 goal in your last 9 playoff games isnt good enough for the leagues best goal scorer.

For comparison purposes Matthews former linemate Zach Hyman has scored 20 playoff goals since departing the Leafs 2 + 1 current playoffs years, while Matthews has scored only 1/2 that amount at 10 goals total. Pretty shocking really on both accounts !!!

On the current season Matthews 69 regular season + 1 playoff goal = 70 goals total vs Hyman 54 regular season + 6 playoff goals = 60 total.

Leafs are about to start paying Matthews $13,250,000 starting next year as the highest paid player in the game and as you mentioned 1 goals in past 9 playoff games is very disappointing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews has always had a suspect compete level, heart etc. We know he is soft. He gets a free pass when he doesnt show up because he can score 50 on a down year. Matthews was hungry in game 2 for sure. I didnt notice Matthews in game 1, 3 or 4 and everyone on this board who wants to be honest noticed the same thing.

Whenever you see Matthews put something together in the playoffs and think, now this is a stepping stone to greatness… it usually is followed up with a let down.

The Tampa Bay comeback game. Greatest playoff game of his career. Followed by a quiet stretch, gets beat up by Stamkos. Then scores the big Game 6 goal en route to the series win. Now we’re cooking vs Florida… actually nope, not at all. He and Marner ice dance at the blueline which blows Game 2, which basically lost them the series.

It’s just so infrequent, inconsistent and so many levels below his regular season play. Like man, just compete.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Matthews has always had a suspect compete level, heart etc. We know he is soft. He gets a free pass when he doesnt show up because he can score 50 on a down year. Matthews was hungry in game 2 for sure. I didnt notice Matthews in game 1, 3 or 4 and everyone on this board who wants to be honest noticed the same thing.
He could score 100 goals a year and that wouldn't warrant a free pass for 8 yrs of playoff disappearances

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Yep. He's paid to walk the walk and is expected to do it, and on the whole we have an incomplete effort when taking his career postseason performances. He IS capable of winning a series for the team, but needs to step up.
How are we so certain that he "is capable of winning a series" when he never has in 8+ years? Scoring 60 and 69 during the regular season is one thing. Leveling up when the checking gets heavier and the time and space evaporates during the playoffs is another thing. The only thing Matthews has proven is that he is capable of having a great game "here and there" in the playoffs -- that's it. He goes from well over a PPG in the regular season to 0.84 PPG in the playoffs, which is a 68 point pace over 82 games. We need to accept the fact that regular season Matthews isn't playoff Matthews, period.

We've had a large enough sample size to see what the deal is. Eight freaking years. Not 1, not 2, not 5. Eight. When do we stop making excuses and talking about these hypothetical "could ofs" and "should ofs" and "maybe cans" when he doesn't have it in him. Guys like him and Marner, et al, simply do not have the killer instinct in them to elevate their games in crunch time. And they certainly do not hate to lose.

We need to face facts. These guys, including Matthews, do not have the Wendel Clark or Dougie Gilmour gene. They are super talented kids who have watched everything come easy to them all the way through today where there's zero pushback on their lofty contract demands. But the playoffs are a pure dose of reality, which separates the boys from the men. Players that win the Cup are often battered, damaged, broken, and yet still have the mental strength to persevere despite the adversity. Our core folds like a wet blanket... every... darn... year. The fact that we are blessed with this high-level talent and are going to have ONE playoff round win since Matthews has been on the roster is absolutely pathetic. And, yes, Matthews himself deserves a large % of the blame. He's at the helm of this ship, hence the top contract in the league. He wants the massive contract, the glory, the love, then he needs to own the failures.

I was listening to Leafs Nation last night and Rosehill (who I'm generally not a big fan of) was bang on with his assessment last night in regards to 16 and 34. You can only defend these dudes so much until it's sink or swim time for them. This has been eight years. Rosehill made a great point when he said, "Even though Gilmour, Clark, Tucker, Sundin, and Roberts, etc. never won a Cup, as a Leaf fan, I was proud that they were on my team, because they battled and gave every inch. But this current core... it's impossible to be proud of them." And he is right.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the greatest franchises in all of North American sports and these kids have no idea what the stakes are. They are entitled, soft, and incapable of rising to the challenge in the playoffs. They still think the playoffs are random Wed. night games vs. the Blue Jackets where they can win a game on raw talent alone without paying the price.

I'm sorry but Matthews needs to own his part.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
What the hell?

Either MLSE has the absolute worst sport science department in the world or the absolute tip of the top for this to be a real thing.

f***ing found something that doesn't come and go like a cold or flu, but gets worse the better he plays!

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Sheldon Keefe on Auston Matthews: "For whatever reason, it's not one of those run-of-the-mill everyday type of illnesses that sort of come and go. This one has lingered. The affects have lingered and gotten worse when he gets on the ice and is asserting himself."

Does Matthews have blue and white disease?

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Does Matthews have blue and white disease?
berg.PNG

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Mackinnon with another two points, up to 7 in 4 in his series about to take a 3-1 lead against a supposed better team

That’s the guy most leafs fans think Matthews is better then. If Mackinnon played strictly playoff games he’d be a better player, he’s never been under a point per game

Mcdavid is doing Mcdavid things

Over here here we have Mr sniffles

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mackinnon with another two points, up to 7 in 4 in his series about to take a 3-1 lead against a supposed better team

That’s the guy most leafs fans think Matthews is better then. If Mackinnon played strictly playoff games he’d be a better player, he’s never been under a point per game

Mcdavid is doing Mcdavid things

Over here here we have Mr sniffles

Mackinnon is also going up against Mr Vezina and making him look like garbage. Also doesn’t seem to have to choose between scoring 130 plus points and having playoff success. Has won a cup already.

Meanwhile we’re here debating the legitimacy of secondary assists, talking about load management, talking up 5 on 5 metrics while ignoring how the PP dysfunction led by AM and MM will lead to Toronto’s playoff demise and hyping up the handful of games Matthews has ever showed up in the playoffs.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Mackinnon is also going up against Mr Vezina and making him look like garbage. Also doesn’t seem to have to choose between scoring 130 plus points and having playoff success. Has won a cup already.

Meanwhile we’re here debating the legitimacy of secondary assists, talking about load management, talking up 5 on 5 metrics while ignoring how the PP dysfunction led by AM and MM will lead to Toronto’s playoff demise and hyping up the handful of games Matthews has ever showed up in the playoffs.
I agree about AM’s crappy play on the PP.

But blaming him for lead failure more than literally any other player in this team is ridiculous

He’s not perfect.

When there’s nobody else to worry about it’s easier to defend.

Add that not only are there no other leafs for playoff teams to worry about but the other leafs “stars” are actually detrimental to play.

AM is the Leaf I complain about least

Reactions: authentic

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I would take MacK over anybody on this team in a heartbeat. That's a true leader and competitor. Also you can call me deluded if you like, but for a playoff run I even take him over McDavid

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
I would take MacK over anybody on this team in a heartbeat. That's a true leader and competitor. Also you can call me deluded if you like, but for a playoff run I even take him over McDavid
Despite what the Matthews apologists scream, I knew MacKinnon was >>>>> Matthews when MacKinnon was nuked in the playoffs and held a post game press conference and said, "I haven't won sh*t!!" then challenged his teammates to take their diets seriously in the offseason. Meanwhile, Matthews was following Biebs around like it was party time. The following season... MacKinnon (in spite of being the brunt of all social media jokes about him being a stick in the mud) wins a Stanley Cup... and Matthews and company complain about the dress code then once again disappoint in the playoffs and go home early.

This is what I mean between the playoffs separating the men from the boys. Matthews shadows Bieber and whines about the dress code and MacKinnon challenged his troops to stop eating excess sugar and train harder in the offseason.

Some people still don't get it because there's no swanky analytics that place heart, dedication, and a hunger to win on a spreadsheet. Instead, we'll sit here and rave about Matthews "hits" stats even though nobody on earth can ever remember him throwing a hit that mattered.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Such a disappointing series. Needs to show up more than once in four games.
He has shown up every game.

He hasn't executed well every game.

He is top 10 in the playoffs in hits, leads the playoffs in hitting the post, still playing 200 feet of hockey. For whatever reason, he can't finish. It's maddening

• Haha
Reactions: IceBoxHockey

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
He has shown up every game.

He hasn't executed well every game.

He is top 10 in the playoffs in hits, leads the playoffs in hitting the post, still playing 200 feet of hockey. For whatever reason, he can't finish. It's maddening
He's not getting the quality looks he gets in the regular season. Time and space is getting taken away a lot quicker , Domi doesn't get him the puck quite as fast as Marner does , He doesn't go get the puck on his own as much as he should . He plays pretty high up a lot , think more being defensively resposible than playing the perimeter or looking for soft spots but either way , long ways from the net . He's not great at carrying the puck and his lnemates aren't either [ i still like the line ] .
PP in general is aweful . To little movement , to slow moving the puck. One guy has it , 4 guys slowly drifting around , pass around the perimeter . That coupled with Boston is fast to pressure , double teaming the puck carrier ect. Rarely cross ice passes through the box.

Reactions: Jojalu

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
McDavid and Draisaitl are 3rd and 4th all time in playoffs PPG. MacK and Ranta are 6th and 5th. Our clowns are not on the same planet but show them the money. Listening to them before the playoffs saying they have bigger fish to fry is comedic at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad