Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unacceptable not that he didn’t come out but his whole series barring ONE game. He is being outplayed by Coyle.

Matthews is so Jekyll and Hyde, it’s unbelievable, and especially in the playoffs. Notwithstanding this bizarre health issue in Games 3 and 4, sometimes you get it all and sometimes you get nothing at all and he’s just incapable of getting into a game.

I think about the dash to 70 goals vs Florida and Tampa and the quality of his play in Game 1. It wasn’t the same thing. Then he pops off in Game 2. Coming home, keep it going. Nope. And now he’s been pulled by medical staff from a 3-0 game that he was on the ice for to close the 2nd period, after visibly bickering with teammates on the bench. Now we’re down 3-1 in a series that’s most likely over. Optically it’s just adding up to a lot of bad stuff.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matthews is so Jekyll and Hyde, it’s unbelievable, and especially in the playoffs. Notwithstanding this bizarre health issue in Games 3 and 4, sometimes you get it all and sometimes you get nothing at all and he’s just incapable of getting into a game.

I think about the dash to 70 goals vs Florida and Tampa and the quality of his play in Game 1. It wasn’t the same thing. Then he pops off in Game 2. Coming home, keep it going. Nope. And now he’s been pulled by medical staff from a 3-0 game that he was on the ice for to close the 2nd period, after visibly bickering with teammates on the bench. Now we’re down 3-1 in a series that’s most likely over. Optically it’s just adding up to a lot of bad stuff.
He is really the only one in the new gen of top players that is bad in playoffs.
Mack, MCD, Drai, Point, Barkov, Pastra, even Eichel, all had or having great playoffs.
MM is leading the charge in being horrible but AM is not far behind.
Don’t really know what happened to AM but do think he is not 100% as he had been missing practices.
But still, a 60% AM is still better than Coyle.
It seemed like AM always struggle with a pure shutdown C. He needs to be better and over come that.
The more I think, AM needs to evolve to a more dump and chase style of play/ cycling instead of the pass and puck on stick style. His goals might go down but he will be more effective in playoffs.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Unless the guy was suffering from congestive heart failure or collapsing lungs, I don't see why he couldn't finish the 3rd. Team/player pulled the shoot on the game, said rest up and come back for game 5 would be my guess.

Not a good look in any way, maybe more will come out post series.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If the illness is so touch and go that you may have to be pulled from the game you're better off sitting and getting someone in that isn't going to be family skating while Boston goes in 2 on 0 for a goal.

It's one thing to be banged up and play its another thing to be so sick that doctors pull you mid game and leave a hole in the roster.

I swear this team makes the most stupid move in every situation.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
D3MEqjJUEAEYc_T.jpg

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Maybe it’s not an illness and instead say a knee, back etc injury. Gamesmanship so that the Bruins don’t go after his real injury?

Did he have it during the regular season?

Whenever he isn't producing people will claim he is hurt. For some reason Matthew$ and Nylander are above criticism while Marner is the current scapegoat.

Matthews had an actual playoff game in game 2 so I think the illness thing sounds more plausible but damn.. what a coincidence that just when we need our top players the most they are all hurt/sick.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Always been a Matthews fan but 1 goal in your last 9 playoff games isnt good enough for the leagues best goal scorer.

Yep. He's paid to walk the walk and is expected to do it, and on the whole we have an incomplete effort when taking his career postseason performances. He IS capable of winning a series for the team, but needs to step up.

With that said, he's still clearly dealing with something the last couple games. Like with the Nylander injury bad takes from some folks I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for those games.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Whenever he isn't producing people will claim he is hurt. For some reason Matthew$ and Nylander are above criticism while Marner is the current scapegoat.

Matthews had an actual playoff game in game 2 so I think the illness thing sounds more plausible but damn.. what a coincidence that just when we need our top players the most they are all hurt/sick.
I think people are criticizing AM too, at least I am part of them.
Can’t say too much about Willie this playoffs as he only played ONE game.
Diff between AM and MM is that MM is playing worse than AM. While AM is already underperforming except for Game 2.
Let’s not start on JT bc he is a sunk cost at this point.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad