Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
I've been watching hockey a hell of a long time, and I'm not sure I remember a guy being pulled from a game by a doctor for something other than a concussion.
Me either. However, if he was running a 102 fever and was vomiting, it makes sense that a doctor might pull him... if they're the one doing the check-up. If his temp rises to 103 or 104 there's serious problems. But I'm just speculating here.

If it was just "flu-like symptoms" -- then yes, a doctor pulling him out in a crucial playoff game is absurd. He'd have to pull himself out.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Homie actually sat out the next closest thing to an elimination game cause his tumtum hurt? What a f***ing joke.

Fire all these snowflakes into the sun! I've been a Matthews defender for years but that is unacceptable. Absolute disgrace.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Me either. However, if he was running a 102 fever and was vomiting, it makes sense that a doctor might pull him... if he's the one doing the check-up. If his temp rises to 103 or 104 there's serious problems. But I'm just speculating here.

If it was just "flu-like symptoms" -- then yes, a doctor pulling him out in a crucial playoff game is absurd. He'd have to pull himself out.
I bet he has Covid - being serious, I've known a few people who got it this month.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Me either. However, if he was running a 102 fever and was vomiting, it makes sense that a doctor might pull him... if they're the one doing the check-up. If his temp rises to 103 or 104 there's serious problems. But I'm just speculating here.

Dangerous body temperatures or severe dehydration (you really don't want to mess with actual dehydration) would be the most likely dangerous symptoms a doctor would pull a player for

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't know the full severity of the injuries so I don't want to judge.... But it's weird how it's only our star players that miss time in the playoffs because of head aches and tummy aches...
Yet sounds like you're judging...

Big difference between migraines and head aches and I'm just going to out on a limb and say that if a 20 year physician is pulling a star athlete from a pivotal playoff game for virus-related symptoms, it's probably not just "tummy aches" he's concerned about...

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Big difference between migraines and head aches and I'm just going to out on a limb and say that if a 20 year physician is pulling a star athlete from a pivotal playoff game for virus-related symptoms, it's probably not just "tummy aches" he's concerned about...

People don’t understand how dangerous dehydration is. A 20 minute IV would not be able to help Matthews recoup the fluids he’s loosing by sweating and playing. That in combo with a fever or diarrhea/vomiting is not good.

Reactions: uncleben

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Hopefully these guys know how to protect themselves during the playoffs (flu shots, masks when close to strangers, hand-washing, no sharing cell phones and i-Pads, no handshaking, etc.) .
man I'm reading this again tonight and I'm still shaking my head

it's so bizarre that it has to be a troll post.. right?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Presumably he got back to the room after the second intermission and was likely past the point where anything could be done during a 15 minute intermission to prop him up. I'm sure if it was a regular season game he wouldn't have played at all.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I've been watching hockey a hell of a long time, and I'm not sure I remember a guy being pulled from a game by a doctor for something other than a concussion. I've seen guys get IV fluids between periods because of dehydration. Between this and Nylander, what is going on here?
I remember almost the entire Ottawa team being pulled against the Leafs when the flu hit.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Amazing the amount of dummies, including people in the media like Jeff Oneill , who think that players like Nylander and Matthews are just wimps without any knowledge of what's actually going in. What's more logical, that AM just didn't want to play because he has a tummy ache or that there were serious issues that made the doctor think he should be pulled?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
man I'm reading this again tonight and I'm still shaking my head

it's so bizarre that it has to be a troll post.. right?
It might seem that way if you're a Typhoid Mary and have no regard for the health of yourself and others. Stop shaking, you might make yourself sick. Stay home if you do! You were one of the ones who misunderstood the post anyway. Read #2,708. I'm glad Austen left early. It shows that he cares about his own health and that of his team mates. It's only a game! You are neither Austen nor his doctor.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rhino71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad